Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD free trial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a '21 Model 3 with 1024.8.9 and no fsd offer so far. But to be honest, I'm not sure if I really care. It's mainly my wife's commute car, and she's been using TACC regularly, and the standard autopilot occasionally (she's not very technical, so avoided it previously). It works well, no problems. But a lot of people with fsd complain about TACC phantom braking and other problems, and it may be particular to the fsd software. So I'm not sure if it's worth the tradeoff.

I personally have never thought fsd would be feasible in the city due to the unpredictable situations that come up. I think perhaps there should be some standards for routes to be certified for fsd rather than attempt it everywhere. Don't ask me what the criteria should be, though.

I think those of us on 2024.8x will start to see some FSD free trial progress soon. Tesla just started rolling out the 2024.14.3 spring update to customer vehicles. I'm optimistic we'll get the 2024,14.x release fairly soon, with the latest version of the FSD trial following shortly thereafter. Hope springs eternal ... :)

Had a chance to put FSD trial to the test recently. Eighty miles of city, freeway, and two lane blacktop. I tried to leave it alone to do its thing. It made many rather 'interesting' decisions. To keep a long story short, I will mention only two.

You know those people that do not know how to enter from a freeway ramp and slow down freaking everyone out? Yeah, I was that guy and got honked at. It was not really an unsafe situation, so I just let it go and observed.

Later, entering a 50mph two lane highway from a side road (left turn stop sign controlled) is when something potentially fatal occurred. Traffic was busy and the car waited patiently for an opening. The opening came and the car pulled out then stopped in the middle of the road having some sort of anxiety attack. The steering wheel jiggled back and forth as I watched a vehicle approaching me at 50+. I was not about to wait and see what happens so I hit the throttle and finished the maneuver myself.

Other dicey areas seemed to be handled quite well overall but would not have been dicey with a little earlier lane positioning. Thanks to Tesla for giving me this opportunity. It has really confirmed my initial choice not to get FSD. It's an interesting novelty though still not ready for prime time IMHO. It really needs a very attentive babysitter. Maybe I would feel less tense with it over time but I am much safer driving myself. I had some fun with it though and lived to tell the tale.
Just a follow up. Yesterday was my last day of the trial. Got an FSD update in the morning and took that same 80 mile round trip using FSD. It seemed much smarter thinking ahead for smoother lane changes on the freeway. And... It didn't try to kill me this time by stopping broadside in the middle of the 50 MPH highway. I was surprised by how well it worked this time.