Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD in the UK .. price increase on 1st July?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are already one price rise behind the US, so who knows, it could be a £2k increase that we are due?

Summon was part of EAP (enhanced autopilot) that many people happily paid ££££ for. And that was on top of paying ££££ for autopilot that is now 'free'. The FSD part of FSD is currently (or if ordered with EAP on a new vehicle) 'only' £2200. The difference now is that EAP and FSD is bundled in the one package. So in the pre 'FSD only' FSD days, you could have had summon and the rest of EAP for todays equivalent of £3600, and very many people were happy to pay that. Also worth noting that FSD gave HW2.x owners a free HW3 upgrade, something that early Model 3 owners in UK only got by a matter of weeks.

Thats a lot of FSDs! Speaking of which, im not really sure it should be called FSD because, well it just isn't!

I'm a tad in the dlilemma camp with my EAP Model S. £2K to upgrade to FSD that will give me no new features and likely will be years away before UK regs change to allow any major features even if Elon gets them to work. BUT it should include the upgrade to HW3 and that may be worth having....???

It depends on how long you plan to keep the car. Tesla does seem to have reached the max CPU potential of the AP2/2.5 computer, and haven't even started to really leverage the AP3 hardware.

Its a bit like when we get a next gen console introduction, the games are currently still as good, if not better on the existing consoles as the code is not yet optimised for the new hardware.

However I would now expect Tesla to really push/advance the AP software as they focus on AP3 hardware.

In world where Apple wants £3k nearly for a new MacBookPro and rumours of the PS5 costing £1k, £2k is hardly anything to pay for new AP3.0 hardware.

But if you are going to sell up next year very little reason to get it, as you wouldn't see any benefit of the hardware for a good 6-12 months yet.

The problem I see with FSD is it only applies (in whatever form) to cars with that level of autonomy. And Tesla is a very small percentage of cars out on our roads right now.

There are so many random events caused by correct, incorrect (accidental) and incorrect (stupid) driving in vehicles without this tech, that the tech has to be more successful in the early years than the latter ones, to cope with all the randomness. Currently it’s too much to ask and the regulations on autonomous driving are being constrained by all the other randomness more than the L3/4/5 potential itself.

Am trying to make the comparison of in a world full of idiots, you end up being dragged down to that level as common denominator - the regs are following this path because that’s what society / thought leadership seems to demand.

Some balancing points - on safety, without a doubt any additional tech that improves safety for you and other drivers is a win, as a higher mileage driver over last 25 years I completely get it, too many bad events witnessed not to understand this.

On development of the tech so it really works - impossible for Tesla to get FSD to full fighting weight without having development drivers out in the real world - and they are never going to release it for free - so it feels like those choosing FSD are not really paying for the feature themselves, they are paying to help develop the tech. If you can afford it and feel some responsibility for helping drive the tech forwards, fair play and I can’t criticise that.

Just making the point that full self driving is only really that if the majority of other vehicles on the road are also doing it, so we need compatible FSD from all other manufacturers and self-autonomy to turn into herd-autonomy for it to actually be a thing.

Will we see autonomous systems actually learning from each other or it always being a bunch of silo’ design FSD-type systems all competing for a commercial crown ? Sadly it is possibly the latter.

Then there is the other view of the world about making choices yourself and not giving up autonomy to the herd - I really enjoy driving and making choices, so currently am not a fan of FSD-type systems being the default direction for driving in the UK.