Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD increasing by $1K 11/1/19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price increases for FSD only work if you plan to use the vehicle commercially to recoup the cost. For anyone not interested in loaning your car to strangers, the increasing price of FSD simply means they will never buy it. Given that the car's hardware is already installed in the vehicle, all this does is remove additional income revenue from existing customers that Tesla would otherwise earn.

It would not be hard for the commercial rideshare aspects of FSD be limited to a commercial licence, and regular individual use have a lower price point.

I am torn between rolling the dice on a P3D- becoming available before the tax credit ends in December or just pulling the trigger now on a LR AWD and saving $1K on FSD. Does anyone know if you need to take delivery by the price increase or just order before?

I don’t think that’s a bad idea, because there’s no telling you’ll find a p3d- after the new year. Plus you get the tax refund and the 1000 off of FSD (assuming it’s something you plan to buy). I’d say go for it. That’s 2850 savings if you look at it the right way.

Only when people cry loud enough that they didn’t get something they didn’t pay for.

Not always. Back in March, people who had neither EAP nor FSD were offered AP for $2K and FSD for $3K. To my knowledge, nobody in the no-EAP/no-FSD group cried for that price. Tesla did it on its own, which I presume was because it was Tesla's low hanging fruit for immediate revenue/profit generation.

The crying started subsequently because some customers who had already paid $5K for EAP felt it wasn't fair that others could get the whole AP+FSD for $5K.

I saw that....sucks!!! I am now kicking myself for not paying for it...but now, it may be out of reach!!
It's very expensive Smart Summon. An umbrella is much, much cheaper than $1k.

Don't kick yourself. At some point their development might bear fruit and be worth the price they're asking. Until then, enjoy the returns on your money.

I am torn between rolling the dice on a P3D- becoming available before the tax credit ends in December or just pulling the trigger now on a LR AWD and saving $1K on FSD. Does anyone know if you need to take delivery by the price increase or just order before?
If you can wait, get a 2020 model instead, just because of the car depreciation.

On January 1rst 2020, any car build in 2019 (even sold on December 31rst) will loose 15% to 20% or about $8k at least...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Matt L and Nixx
FSD is a monumental work in progress. Tesla is spending on going millions towards this development.
They need to charge an appropriate amount to get a return.
If it WAS fully ready, you would be paying much more my friend. :)

Calling it a ”joke” just illustrates that you don’t get the business model...

what business model? charging thousands of dollars for no additional features?

If you can wait, get a 2020 model instead, just because of the car depreciation.

On January 1rst 2020, any car build in 2019 (even sold on December 31rst) will loose 15% to 20% or about $8k at least...

Nope. Go to KBB and see the value of a 2018 M3P vs a 2019 M3P, same miles and equipment...$900 difference. Tesla model years dont matter.

Then don’t order it with FSD. See that was easy.

not sure why you're quoting me there. i don't have FSD nor do i intend to buy it until it gets me actual features i don't already have (smart summon doesn't count, since i have EAP). that was more my point.

i was replying to the ridiculous post about "not understanding the business model." there is no "business model" as far as FSD goes, especially for those of us who have EAP. there are no additional features for us.

Who falls for it? Maybe people that haven't seen it before but those of us that have been around for a while know better.

It wasn't worth it at $6k, it won't be worth it at $7k.

It’s not worth it to you. It is worth it to many others.
Either way, FSD once it reaches that level, is definitely worth it. If you’re not willing to pay for it at the price it sits at now, that’s fine, but it will be much more once it’s done...

not sure why you're quoting me there. i don't have FSD nor do i intend to buy it until it gets me actual features i don't already have (smart summon doesn't count, since i have EAP). that was more my point.

i was replying to the ridiculous post about "not understanding the business model." there is no "business model" as far as FSD goes, especially for those of us who have EAP. there are no additional features for us.
it may make more sense since they split AP/FSD, but for those of us with EAP you get absolutely nothing by buying FSD. that's what i was referring to.
then don’t buy it. That’s what I was referring to.