Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD - monthly subscription

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has mentioned buying would make more sense financially. I suspect the cost will be more expensive for the subscription. What the key point will be is what they consider the "life of the vehicle." There is a good chance they base it off of five or six years assuming people will trade in the vehicle by then, or that is the "design life." In that case $10k/60 months would be about $167/mo. To make it a "better deal to buy" maybe that's $175 to $200 a month for the subscription. If six years is considered the vehicle life then that would be about $140/mo and maybe they make it $150 to $175 a month.

I suspect there will be one package. Basic AP included and FSD. Maybe we have these weird one off options of EAP coming back, but I think the new demand lever will be "free months" worth of FSD. Take delivery before such and such date and get FSD free for 90 days or 50% off your first six months or something. I doubt they'll break it out into separate features once they have a billing system in place for monthly service.

I do think Tesla will allow it to be month to month though and may even make it super simple to order/cancel in the car. If not in the car at least at the app level. This would be a welcome option since some people may just road trip a bunch in the summer and want it for 3 months out of the year but not during the rest of the time. Eventually as FSD gets more advanced maybe Tesla will pull back and only allow 6 month and yearly bundles or something to be purchased, but right now I think this would just be extra money for them, not really a drain on a current revenue stream.

Reactions: Eric9610
Elon has mentioned buying would make more sense financially. I suspect the cost will be more expensive for the subscription. What the key point will be is what they consider the "life of the vehicle." There is a good chance they base it off of five or six years assuming people will trade in the vehicle by then, or that is the "design life." In that case $10k/60 months would be about $167/mo. To make it a "better deal to buy" maybe that's $175 to $200 a month for the subscription. If six years is considered the vehicle life then that would be about $140/mo and maybe they make it $150 to $175 a month.

I suspect there will be one package. Basic AP included and FSD. Maybe we have these weird one off options of EAP coming back, but I think the new demand lever will be "free months" worth of FSD. Take delivery before such and such date and get FSD free for 90 days or 50% off your first six months or something. I doubt they'll break it out into separate features once they have a billing system in place for monthly service.

I do think Tesla will allow it to be month to month though and may even make it super simple to order/cancel in the car. If not in the car at least at the app level. This would be a welcome option since some people may just road trip a bunch in the summer and want it for 3 months out of the year but not during the rest of the time. Eventually as FSD gets more advanced maybe Tesla will pull back and only allow 6 month and yearly bundles or something to be purchased, but right now I think this would just be extra money for them, not really a drain on a current revenue stream.

Edit: You could still have the price locked in as long as it's set to auto renew each month. Still give the option to freely cancel when you want, but if the price goes up in December and you cancel in February and re-subscribe in May, you pay the new price, etc.