Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE lease has 4 months left. Buy Y now or wait?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to justify buying a Y now and not in March when my ICE lease is up. Work pays for my lease via an allowance of $650/mo and also fuel but I'm going to be 6k miles over (about $1300) and will be right at the point where it might need new brakes and new tires. Sitting at 47,500 miles, have till March 1 and about $660/mo on a 45k mile lease.

I could pay the 4 remaining months now and the $600 over mileage fee and be done with the ICE and buy a Y. Work pays $950 a month for an EV via their allowance. Probably be about $3200 to walk away from the ICE lease if I did this today. If I wait till March it'll be $1300 in overage and also the risk of new tires and brakes.

Trying my best to justify getting a MYP before March.

Thoughts?
Check out the range on the new 2024 Y that available in China

Picking up my 23 MYP this afternoon.

Awesome! I knew it was coming. I think it’s the right choice. Within our means (we are all adults), we should do what our hearts desire. As simple as that.

As for the current ICE lease: I would recommend considering two alternative options to what you stated earlier (paying the remaining four months of lease and turn in fee, and returning the car):

1) Get the payoff amount from you leasing company. Get a sale price / offer from Carmax, Carvana, or a dealer. See if the math works better for you that way. You may be surprised ….

2) Just keep the car until the lease is over, then return it. No point of making lease payments with no car

Please keep everyone updated on the new MYP ownership. I bought my MYP 2023 a month ago. I am super satisfied. To the point of waking up happy to drive the car to work 🤦‍♂️

But the income caps still apply. Also, Tesla has been telling people that the credit is going to drop to $3750 on Jan 1, and some people are also saying that the "tax credit as a down payment" will only apply to *dealerships*.

I can't confirm either of these things myself, I'm just spreading the hearsay.
The possible reduction to $3750 applies to LFP Chinese CATL battery powered standard range cars, The down payment language covers both dealers and direct sellers like Tesla.

Had enough experience driving my wife's 23 MYP that the decision for me was easy. There was no other ICE that I even considered so the MYP was the way to go. Best part is, it's absolutely not a compromise at all. The MYP could be 25k or 90k and I'd still lust over it.

The fun car should come tomorrow or Monday. Found a really well cared for and 100% deserted out Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo. My dream car since I was 16.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Had enough experience driving my wife's 23 MYP that the decision for me was easy. There was no other ICE that I even considered so the MYP was the way to go. Best part is, it's absolutely not a compromise at all. The MYP could be 25k or 90k and I'd still lust over it.

The fun car should come tomorrow or Monday. Found a really well cared for and 100% deserted out Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo. My dream car since I was 16.
I am very confused 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: father_of_6
I am very confused 🤦‍♂️
Yeah. Scratching my head.

There was no other ICE that I even considered
Found a really well cared for and 100% deserted out Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo. My dream car since I was 16.

You've been drooling over the Model Y in all of these posts, and now after ordering it you're getting a GAS sports car?

You should've got the Model 3 like I commanded. 2 demerits.