Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Observations…and questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK I’ve had my Tesla model 3 performance for about six months with FSD beta (now 11.4.4) for the last 3 to 4 months and I’ve made a small list of observations.

Has anyone noticed or been discussing these things that FSD still doesn’t recognize at all and if it will be possible that it will eventually be able to identify a few of these?
  • Speed bumps (some obvious, some not)
  • Potholes (this might be a lot to ask, especially with hardware 3 visual limitations in the front)
  • School zones (I thought this was a safety concern, and would have already been implemented)
  • Railroad crossings… By the way, trains are imaged as large trucks and semi‘s, but not an actual train
Is it possible some of these have not even been considered or were just not on the priority list?

Thoughts or feedback?

OK I’ve had my Tesla model 3 performance for about six months with FSD beta (now 11.4.4) for the last 3 to 4 months and I’ve made a small list of observations.

Has anyone noticed or been discussing these things that FSD still doesn’t recognize at all and if it will be possible that it will eventually be able to identify a few of these?
[*]Potholes (this might be a lot to ask, especially with hardware 3 visual limitations in the front)...

Pot holes issues were discussed in 2020 and by 2022, with vast data from the fleet, you can expect progress soon:

Elon Musk said he would consider autonomous driving to be basically a solved problem 7 years ago.

He said again that Tesla car should self-drive this year (2023).

That means the problems you asked should be solved within 4 months before this year will be over soon.

Last edited:
Is it possible some of these have not even been considered or were just not on the priority list?
Their priority has been on making driving work. What you see is the culmination of that effort. They have problems with traffic circles, intersections, lane selection, merging on highways and countless other fundamental driving tasks. The sorts of things you're talking about are relatively obscure cases as compared to those mainstream tasks. They are important cases, but they are less common and so have received little or no attention. As you say, the V3 hardware may be a restriction.
Thoughts or feedback?
Tesla is attempting to replace their current software (V11) with one that is focused entirely on an AI approach (V12). Instead of having a bunch of code that says "If this, this or this, then do that", it is using the relative magic of AI that will balance thousands of factors that have been tuned based on looking at millions of scenarios and ultimately come up with a reaction to the current situation. The V11 approach was simply not making sufficient progress, so Tesla is trying this new approach. We have no idea when they might make it available to anyone outside the company. My expectation is at least 6 months, and possibly much longer. Perhaps never, if it doesn't do any better than the current software.

Reactions: hobertg

• Potholes (this might be a lot to ask, especially with hardware 3 visual limitations in the front)
  • School zones (I thought this was a safety concern, and would have already been implemented)
  • Railroad crossings… By the way, trains are imaged as large trucks and semi‘s, but not an actual train

Thoughts or feedback?
I would guess they were on the priority list, but lost out to light shows and fart noises, which did get solved.

Reactions: hobertg

Thoughts or feedback?
From what I recall they said they needed to prioritize safety issues. If they could just get past that hurdle. Until then it might continue to be an unrefined mess.

Thoughts or feedback?
All have been discussed over and over and over and over and over. Searching TMC for any of those terms should provide enough reading to keep you off the streets for a while.

Great input, thanks for the responses. Some silly, but appreciated because there are a lot of promises and Tesla expectations that fall short majority of the time. However, I watched a video last night comparing FSD from 2 years ago on version 8.2 to today (11.4.7) on the same drive and the software is vastly improved as well as the autonomous driving. Two years is not long ago so they are making progress, just not as much or anywhere near what was promised or expected. I have listened to details on V12 so lets hope that is the right direction and improves much quicker and it should with more and more Tesla's on the road providing the data needed.

I also hope this holiday season we get some good updates like park seek or actual smart summon to the vehicles without USS...fingers crossed!