Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD on 2016 P90DL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Hey guys, I don’t think it’s possible but I thought I would ask you since Tesla is closed.
Can an order 2016 Model S (old bumper, MCU1) be upgraded to FSD? All my searching seems to point to the next model year, the 2017 being FSD capable, but as usual, I google it and this plenty of reference to FSD and 2016.

The software is way out of date and the dealer hasn’t done an update in months. It’s just been sitting on the lot. It’s so out of date navigation keeps spinning and it won’t update.

Thanks for reading and the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    700.3 KB · Views: 5
To be capable of FSD the AutoPilot hardware needs to be AP2 or later. The car you have sent a picture of is AP1 and has what is effectively the highest form of software AP available: Highway Autopilot aka Autopilot w/Convenience Features.

There is no other software option to "unlock" nor is there an upgrade path to ever add newer features or functionality than currently exists with that car. Hence the seemingly older firmware version. There hasn't really been any feature add for those cars so the updates are very infrequently these days.

If it's been sitting that long I'd question the health of the battery as dealerships are notoriously not very knowledgeable on what's best for them. If the navigation is constantly loading it could be a hardware issue as being out of date wouldn't cause the nav to not load. I'd suggest doing some searches for more details as nav failing to ever load is more emblematic of a flash storage issue which would need a fix from the Service Center at your expense to rectify.

Just know that any hardware issues you encounter will likely be out-of-warranty and therefore you'll have to pay to have them fixed.

Reactions: easyev
Upvote 0
Can an order 2016 Model S (old bumper, MCU1) be upgraded to FSD?
No. All “old bumper” cars are AP1 with no upgrade path.
All my searching seems to point to the next model year, the 2017 being FSD capable, but as usual, I google it and this plenty of reference to FSD and 2016.
AP2 was released in October 2016, so there are some capable 2016 cars. Just not the one you’re looking at.

Reactions: easyev
Upvote 0
No. All “old bumper” cars are AP1 with no upgrade path.

AP2 was released in October 2016, so there are some capable 2016 cars. Just not the one you’re looking at.
It seems silly to ask if I should try and find a 2016.5, lookis like a much better car. Is it worth losing this one (with SC01) and chancing finding a 2016.5 or maybe 2017 P100D with FUSC and PUC?
This 2016 I found needs a ton of paint correction, has curb rash, etc. all fixable though. 🤔

Upvote 0