Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD or no FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on Tesla’s website language I assumed that “autosteer on city streets” is different than regular autosteer. So I figured that the difference is that it can turn onto a different street. So basically NOA on a city street.

I would think that many people will assume the same. Otherwise why would it even say upcoming? Especially since autosteer/tacc is not very useful in a city IMO. Sure, it can stay in a lane and regulate speed, but what good is city driving with no turns? That’s why I said I feel that it’s worth mentioning the current limitations when describing FSD features.
To each their own. Like EVNow, I used autosteer on surface streets a lot before FSD beta. I found it very useful because turns aren’t that often compared to how much I was going “straight” (including winding roads). I would disengage, make my turn, then reengage right away. I used auto lane change, etc. on surface streets as well.

But yes, I always thought of it as “NoAP” for surface streets that was “upcoming”, not autosteer, which can already be enabled under production AP.

Reactions: okcazure
Don't buy it on a lease especially. You can subscribe for cheaper and see if worth it for you.
But if you don't "buy" it when you lease - you can't get it afterwards and include in capitalized costs.

Getting FSD with lease is cheaper than subscribing full time.

3 year lease = 3x 12x200 = $ 7,200.

Residual on 3 year lease = 50% -> 10,000 x 0.5 = $ 5,000

Which one is cheaper ?

Ignoring financing costs ...

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD
Since apparently my use of the paid-for FSD for my Plaid is tied to the arbitrary beta Safety Score, I’ll likely never get to use my investment, although maybe that’s good seeing that it still has virtual holes in it. However, this Beta program is inconsistent and I am not quite sure how it reads un-safe following, aggressive turning, and hard braking, since accident avoidance my require all three. I live in Texas where driving is chaotic, where cut-offs, speeding, frequent lane changing is common which requires extra care from other, mostly defensive drivers like myself, and need to use accident avoidance maneuvers. I apparently get dinged for this on the heavy highway Traffic days, rush hours traffic, which I mostly drive.

I endeavor to keep a safe distance and avoid aggressive turning, whatever that means (turning a corner At a reasonable rate, not creeping through the turn), and certainly only brake if needed, and seldom ‘hard’. This safe driving monitor does not take into account how people really drive in the ‘real world. BTW, I would think that FSD was designed to help Ultimtely to take benefit Divers and would be beneficial more so to the borderline drivers anyway.

To each their own. Like EVNow, I used autosteer on surface streets a lot before FSD beta. I found it very useful because turns aren’t that often compared to how much I was going “straight” (including winding roads). I would disengage, make my turn, then reengage right away. I used auto lane change, etc. on surface streets as well.

But yes, I always thought of it as “NoAP” for surface streets that was “upcoming”, not autosteer, which can already be enabled under production AP.
When I think of city driving I imagine driving on urban streets where there are frequent turns (NYC for example). If you’re not turning often you are probably in a suburban or rural area where you go for miles on one road. I do that all the time. That’s just autopilot (autosteer/tacc). The same as highway driving basically, just a smaller road. Tesla’s website says upcoming for autosteer on city streets and I figured that was because they were using the same logic as me - that autosteer on city streets means making turns. In any case, it’s confusing.

I would not waste money on FSD. FSD beta is just alpha/pre alpha version. Try FSD sub if you really think you need it.
I tried FSD beta for a month and got rid of it. Not worth it at all.
I agree. It’s best to try for a month before buying. I’d only add
- FSD is definitely not for everyone. Only nerds who want to test this kind of stuff will like it.
- If you don’t include FSD in lease, but subscribe to it over entire lease period, you would pay more.

Reactions: okcazure
FSD includes navigate on autopilot, auto lane change, autopark, summon, traffic light and stop sign control, and autosteer on city streets
These features are extremely extremely hit or miss and their usefulness will depend on what region OP lives, the type of driving they do, if they have passengers and their general beta testing tolerance.

* NoA handles on-ramps/off-ramps worse than an NYC cabbie deep into his 12 hours shift
* Auto-lane change is quite good but also quite conservative.. I frequently have to take over myself if I ever want to get into the target lane in the northeast.. also 10-20% of the time it does weirdly dangerous half-commits where it hesitates and jumps back into original lane
* Autopark - is completely adequate! In non-challenging environments it recognizes 80% of spots, and succeeds in parking in that 80% in them 80% of the time! In NYC its more like 50%/50%! It's always slower than I would be to do it myself. It has also curb rashed my rims even in wide open spots for no good reason..
* Summon - toy, joke, unreliable.. the few times I try to show it off or test it in extremely empty parking lots it errors out and embarrasses. even when it works it is so slow you would save time just walking to your car, and burn some calories to help maintain your figure
* traffic light / stop sign control - pretty good, also though it freaks out at certain types of flashing lights.. wants to stop for green lights, etc.. its sort of like a hesitant teen driver
* Autosteer on city streets - if you shackle yourself to behave like a good boy for that trial period, score 100 and pray to saint Elon, you may be graced with the actual beta FSD features you paid for and allowed into the trial, or you can live your life and drive like a normal person and wait X more years like the rest of us

I paid $2k for FDS a while ago when EAP owners were given a deal, and even at that price it really has not been worth it.

I love autopilot on the highway, and now that the useful parts of what you used to have to pay for in EAP are now "free" with the car as standard AP.. I would not pay anything for FSD.

There are countless threads here and elsewhere of owners sheepishly admitting their spouses/etc have banned them from using FSD (or even AP) while they are in the car due to one too many OMG moments. When you are behind the wheel and paying full attention supervising the vehicle, it may startle you but you know you are in control. Your passengers are left with what would be, if a passenger in an Uber would be a decidedly 1-star "report this driver" experience more often than they should be for a $10k feature.