Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12.x download selection logic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thrilled to get FSD 12.3 on my 2021 Model YLR, then I sold it. The FSD was transferred to my new 2024 Model Y, which was part of the reason to buy new.
However, the FSD on my new vehicle is 11.4.9 (2024.2.7), so I went backwards.
I doubt anyone has a good understanding of the logic, but I'd love to know how long it will take for me to get back to v12.x. Any insights? Anything I can do to enhance the timeline?
Thanks!

In short, there is very little logic. It's "random" with some subset of cars being favored by the developers depending on what they're working on. For example, back in the v12.0, 12.1 and 12.2 timeframe, they were only pushing to first OG testers/social media influencers and then random VINs in the CA area. Then they slowly began expanding that outwards from CA, so that by the time v12.3 rolled around the entire US was getting it. Now that v12.3.2 is being pushed out, folks in Canada are getting it. But who gets it in that area is effectively random. The only other caveat is that if you're on a 2024.x build, up until this week at least, there was no way you were going to v12.x at all. You had to wait for v12.x to get built for the 2024.x software stack. That appears to now be happening, so you're close!

ETA: there are some different caveats with HW3 vs HW4 of course too (for quite a while, HW3 was the favored HW flavor for v12.x but that seems to no longer be the case)

Reactions: KDeanCville
Thanks @clydeiii That's kinda what I figured. It's interesting to monitor TeslaFi for the trends.
At this point, there are more vehicles on my same build than any other. 38.3% of the fleet within Teslafi is on the same build - 2024.2.7 (11.4.9) and 207 pending installs.
Next closest is 2024.8.4 with 20.2%, a non-FSD build.
And finally, in third with 16.1% of the fleet is 2023.44.30.25 (FSD 12.3), 190 pending installs.