Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Price refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I did. I sold my 2023 Model S at a huge loss ($100K vs $70K) and then bought a very lightly used 2019 supercharged 5.0L V8 Jaguar XJL for $45K, which put $25K back in my pocket, and stopped the massive amounts of bleeding. The Model S values continued to tank and will continue to tank, but a year later, I could probably sell my Jag for about the same price I paid for it. No way will my Jag depreciate as much as what I would lose if I kept the Model S long term because the value of the Jag would have to go negative for that to happen. And the Jag is 1,000 times nicer and more fun to drive than the stripped down, rough riding, noisy and uncomfortable Model S, and the kicker is that the Jag is much more reliable than the Model S, which broke down on the side of the road at midnight after 5K miles!

lol - that Jag was around $100k when new so it lost 55% of it’s value and there is zero chance it doesn’t continue to depreciate. New cars depreciate - the old saying that you lose 30% when you drive off the lot seems accurate with the Tesla too. Not sure why people think they should be exempt from normal economic realities.

lol - that Jag was around $100k when new so it lost 55% of it’s value and there is zero chance it doesn’t continue to depreciate. New cars depreciate - the old saying that you lose 30% when you drive off the lot seems accurate with the Tesla too. Not sure why people think they should be exempt from normal economic realities.

lol - it's the rate of deprecation. The science and data shows that EV's are depreciating at a much faster rate. My Jag is a V8, and a "final edition," which both curb the depreciation. No way will I lose as much on depreciation than if I had kept that piece of crap Model S. And life is too short to be driving around in a piece of crap where the joke is on you in comfort, reliability, and luxury.

• Funny
Reactions: Dewg
lol - it's the rate of deprecation. The science and data shows that EV's are depreciating at a much faster rate. My Jag is a V8, and a "final edition," which both curb the depreciation. No way will I lose as much on depreciation than if I had kept that piece of crap Model S. And life is too short to be driving around in a piece of crap where the joke is on you in comfort, reliability, and luxury.
You are right, it is called depreciation. Depreciation is NOT a constant number across the life of a vehicle, it generally starts really high and levels off.

Yes, you will probably not lose as much over 3 years with your used Jag as compared to a new Model S over 3 years.

But then again:
Yes, you will probably not lose as much over 3 years with a used Model S as compared to a new Jag over 3 years.

i.e. The first 3 years are the worse for ANY vehicle. It's why buying a new car every year is the MOST EXPENSIVE way to own cars.

Curious why you hang out in the TESLA S forums then - if it was such a traumatic experience, just move on. Don’t think anyone who disagrees really cares about Jag depreciation - or reliability, which they are certainly known for. 🙄