Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD free trial is over

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never seen so many Karen’s. Used the free trial many times. Not perfect. But guess what neither are most of you. Have you not watched people drive??? Stops signs…for what. Red lights. Nah only stop when they have too. Weaving in and out of lanes? Yep. Oh they are texting no big deal.
Did anyone call you names because you liked it? Why do feel justified in doing so to individuals who don't find the value in FSD?

Im on 12.3.6 and its way smoother and more human like than previous builds. Its not perfect but I believe Elon when he said in a couple f years it will drive better than humans. Its nice to have it when you need it but still not worth the 8k.

Up until 12.3.6, it was turning correctly. This morning after update, it turned left on green, missed the lane and turned into shoulder about to hit the barrier. I sure looked like a drunk driver at 8am. Glad it’s going to be over tomorrow.

I got to play with 12.3.3, 12.3.4 and 12.3.6 (for one day) before my trial ended. I was very impressed with the improvement over v11.

I'm not going to pay $99 per month to have it full time, but I will be far more likely to subscribe for day trips. Before, when FSD was $199 per month, I would only subscribe if I had 6+ hour long, multi-day car trips.

I will say, the best experience I had with FSD during the trial was flying in to ATL at 4:30pm and being told that the drive home from the airport was going to be 1 hr and 45 mins. I just turned on FSD and let the car deal with the traffic. If I traveled frequently for work and had to make that commute to/from the airport more often, I just might keep it full time. 😄

Reactions: ewoodrick
Its not perfect but I believe Elon when he said in a couple f years it will drive better than humans.
This is one time I might believe him. He didn't give this free FSD just to gain subscribers. He wanted the data to feed the Dojo supercomputer. Combined with neural net, it might be true. Imagine a day when the cars are all aware of each other's position via GPS or close range communication and humans aren't behind the wheel.

Reactions: dandiggz
Definitely subbing monthly. It shouldn't be this way, but autopilot improves my driving score, lowering my insurance by about $20-30/month. This makes FSD effectively $69-$79/month, for me.

Without it, I get constant dings due to the front collision alert for stupid things; too many false alarms. It dings my driving score and drives up the insurance cost.

So until that's fixed, I'm definitely subbing.

Plus, trying new *sugar* is cool.

Definitely subbing monthly. It shouldn't be this way, but autopilot improves my driving score, lowering my insurance by about $20-30/month. This makes FSD effectively $69-$79/month, for me.

Without it, I get constant dings due to the front collision alert for stupid things; too many false alarms. It dings my driving score and drives up the insurance cost.

So until that's fixed, I'm definitely subbing.

Plus, trying new *sugar* is cool.
So you have Tesla insurance?

Reactions: SteveO332
But I will not pay for it until it's Level 3 (so I can legally be intoxicated/impaired while the car is driving). Without that it's useless to me.
You would want at least level 4 in this case, since a level 3 system can ask for a human driver at any time when it sees an upcoming situation beyond its ability. While this is an advance over level 2, which may not realize it is driving beyond its ability and thus needs constant supervision, it does not mean that a vehicle with level 3 automation can do without a capable human driver.

• Informative
Reactions: strider
You would want at least level 4 in this case, since a level 3 system can ask for a human driver at any time when it sees an upcoming situation beyond its ability. While this is an advance over level 2, which may not realize it is driving beyond its ability and thus needs constant supervision, it does not mean that a vehicle with level 3 automation can do without a capable human driver.
Thank you for the clarification. So the Waymo cars and such are L4? Yes, L4 then. I wouldn't want to be intoxicated and then get handed control in a construction zone or something.

So it was a mental flip to accept driving 55-60 in a 50 zone and slowing down to 45 for turns. It feels strange to leave 4 car lengths ahead of me, when I am used to keeping the gap close.
4 car lengths is too close at 60mph to avoid a crash if the vehicle ahead changes lanes to unmask stopped traffic.

I normally keep larger following distances and try to avoid being in crowds on the road, in order to allow the most reaction time and most options to avoid or escape from a dangerous situation. FSDS (even on chill mode) follows too closely, does not avoid crowds, and changes lanes for no obvious reason, so supervising it requires heightened alertness all the time, which is more fatiguing than driving for me.

For me it drives like someone who doesn’t care if they speed, cuts too close to things, does lane changes to get ahead like a rude nervous moron, jerks the wheel and requires constant diligence to supervise. The best part of FSD was getting rid of it.

Reactions: Bikeman
For me it drives like someone who doesn’t care if they speed, cuts too close to things, does lane changes to get ahead like a rude nervous moron, jerks the wheel and requires constant diligence to supervise. The best part of FSD was getting rid of it.

I feel the same. I wish the full-screen visualizations option was still there, but I really don't care that I no longer have access to it. The few times I tried it, be it a short distance or a long one, it lowered my driving score by accelerating too fast from a stop sign or making turns all too fast and tight. I have the DriveSafe unit and app. It surely does not like how FSD drives. And neither do I.

Only things I'll miss are the better visualizations and having EAP lane change ability on road trips. Since I only do one or two long road trips a year I will probably subscribe for a month for the road trip just for EAP lane changes (and of course to play with the latest and greatest FSD and see if it has improved).
I really think Tesla should provide us with FSD graphics even without FSD. It is a much safer visualization to see more cars around you and with the upcoming 14.3 option to go full screen visualization (without FSD) it would be nice if we could just have the FSD version. Seems silly that even when you subscribe to FSD, as soon as you use TACC or AP you go back to the non-FSD visualization.

I thought FSD was impressive but just too annoying for me.
Didn't like its handling of stop signs/lights with the short stop and slow creep.
DIdn't like how hard it would accelerate off the line...I actually didn't mind the acceleration but I didn't like when it would always overshoot its intended speed and do regen or gun it off the line when it knows a slower car is just ahead and again has to slam on the regen after wasting energy to blast of the line.
DIdn't like how AutoMax drove too slow on highway (and yes I have a 4 lane highway in my area that still runs V12 for the first 10km or so) and then often too fast on city streets. On the highway that was running V12 it would go from 90km/h to a 60km/h construction zone, the car updated the speed limit to 60km/h but continued around 80+km/h until it caught up to the slower cars ahead (and then of course wanted to pass them)...ridiculous.

Reactions: Bikeman
So, my FSD trial was suppose to end on May 2nd. It was still on my car yesterday so I thought it ends after the day. It is now May 3rd and FSD is still on my car and working. In the software page it says FSD expires on May 2nd. Did Elon maybe fired too many people and somebody forgot to remove my FSD???

So, my FSD trial was suppose to end on May 2nd. It was still on my car yesterday so I thought it ends after the day. It is now May 3rd and FSD is still on my car and working. In the software page it says FSD expires on May 2nd. Did Elon maybe fired too many people and somebody forgot to remove my FSD???
It’s exactly 30 days to the hour that you installed it initially. So it will likely drop off at some point during the day today.

This is just horrible. Maybe you should notify Tesla so they can turn off the extended freebie immediately. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: gx9901
It’s exactly 30 days to the hour that you installed it initially. So it will likely drop off at some point during the day today.
I did get the email on 5/1 saying my FSD is ending "tomorrow". My car indicates FSD expiration date of 5/2. But so far on 5/3, my FSD is still active for some reason.

Anyone else got some overtime on the free FSD? When I rented FSD last year, it went away precisely when it was supposed to.

This is just horrible. Maybe you should notify Tesla so they can turn off the extended freebie immediately. :eek:
I'm sure it'll be gone soon. Somebody is getting fired for losing the revenue from giving me an extra day of free FSD.

I did get the email on 5/1 saying my FSD is ending "tomorrow". My car indicates FSD expiration date of 5/2. But so far on 5/3, my FSD is still active for some reason.

Anyone else got some overtime on the free FSD? When I rented FSD last year, it went away precisely when it was supposed to.

I'm sure it'll be gone soon. Somebody is getting fired for losing the revenue from giving me an extra day of free FSD.
Yes like I said it ends 30 days to the hour it was installed. Had it on the way to work, was gone on the way home.

My “end date” was 4/30. It worked until 5/1 around 2:30 pm. It was installed 4/1 around 2:30 pm. Ending on 4/30 2:30 pm would have been 29 days not 30.

Can think of it as 720 hours not “30 days”.