Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD worth it now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone!
I am soon going to be ordering a PM3D in white and on a two year lease. I wanted to ask the community here if (after the new EU regulations) it is worth getting the FSD package? I understand Summon has been nerfed to being noting but a tech demo but am unsure whether navigate on autopilot is still good enough to be bought? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I cannot comment on the FSD package as I did not get it with my car, but I also went for a two year Lease and my personal opinion is adding approx £5000 onto the price for something that adds minimal benefit at the moment (auto parking, navigate on autopilot - both nice to haves rather than essential...I had autopark on my old car and only used it a few times to see how it worked...it did the job but was just too slow in reality to use when there's impatient drivers around in car parks!). In addition of course you just hand it back in two years and my guesstimate is it will be at least another couple of years until FSD is more than just a gimmick in this country.

Hello Everyone!
I am soon going to be ordering a PM3D in white and on a two year lease. I wanted to ask the community here if (after the new EU regulations) it is worth getting the FSD package? I understand Summon has been nerfed to being noting but a tech demo but am unsure whether navigate on autopilot is still good enough to be bought? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
I would say that with a two year lease you will probably pay for something that delivers little more than entertainment value (if you like that kind of thing).

If you are leasing, then you are really paying a monthly fee to have access to a set of features that will have that cost and hopefully value to you. I doubt that once you have played with FSD for a couple of months max you would feel that you were getting value for money.

On the other hand, if it's going against a business and payments are deductible, then maybe the real cost difference is small enough to ignore.

Last edited:
its a personal decision of course - for me I would have had buyers remorse not getting it - I find the whole self driving project awesome and am happy to be a part of it for my upcoming 3 year lease - I do a fair amount of motorway driving so the Navigate on Autopilot bit is the most exciting current feature for me.

The entire cost of FSD was added to my 3 year lease cost - so nothing added to the residual value from the lease company point of view, but with the tax breaks the cost of this feature was still less than my current car, so was happy to go with it.

Reactions: Durzel and KennethS
I didn’t bother with FSD on my Model 3. I do love my gadgets and gizmos, but I really couldn’t justify £5k for FSD. At £1k I might have bitten.

Ignoring Summon, which I see as just a “demo” type gimmick, pretty much all FSD would give you is the auto lane change feature. With my basic AP if I want to change lane I indicate, which disengages AP, steer myself into the new lane, then reengage AP. After almost 9k miles it’s just become second nature, and I do it without thinking. Certainly not worth paying £5k for, IMHO.

Then there is the other factor of how well it works. I’m fairly pleased with how well basic AP works, it’s certainly better than the TACC/LFA on the Kona electric we had. Some folk on here say the auto lane change is a bit crippled, and not quick enough unless you’re on a very quiet road.

At the end of the day, it’s your choice. If the financial difference on your lease is inconsequential, go for it.

Don’t forget to use a Tesla referral code on your order, and if you want that or a referral code for Octopus GO please message me directly.

As has been said already it's a straight cost addition to your loan, there is no residual value perceived in it (including by Tesla). It adds ~£200 to the monthly premium in my experience of getting quotes.

It adds ~£200 to the monthly premium in my experience of getting quotes.

~£125/m for 48 month lease
~£166/pm for 36 month lease

in both cases you are paying £6k over the period, and I'm not even including the portion of the FSD in the deposit (9 upfront rentals)

You would be better off getting the car and then upgrading through your Tesla account. Current cost is £5,800 and that's less than what you would pay through the lease.

That is before you realize that it's a rip off either way.

Reactions: im85288 and Roy W.
This might have been answered elsewhere is there not an issue of people buying M3s without FSD getting, or potentially getting HW2.5 equipment, but people speccing FSD up front at point of order are more likely/guaranteed to get HW3.0?

This might have been answered elsewhere is there not an issue of people buying M3s without FSD getting, or potentially getting HW2.5 equipment, but people speccing FSD up front at point of order are more likely/guaranteed to get HW3.0?

I don’t think that’s been an issue for a while. All Model 3s built in the last year should have HW3 right from manufacture.

EDIT: maybe that’s slight hyperbole, I didn’t realise people were still getting HW2.5 in November deliveries... maybe I will go check mine...

Last edited: