Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Autonomy All But Confirmed for 3, "We're doing the obvious thing"

What do you think? Will Model 3 have full autonomy?

• Most Definitely, It's Obvious!

Votes: 56 24.7%
  • Possibly... Still Not Sure

Votes: 76 33.5%
  • No Way, You'll have to drive that sucker yourself!

Votes: 95 41.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I meant was that Mobileye is still ahead of everyone. So how can Nvidia (likely replacement), provide a faster track to full autonomy? This may be a good move for Tesla in the long run if Nvidia's tech can mature to suit requirements. But I can't imagine how this would get Tesla full autonomy any quicker. The move doesn't make sense for that purpose.
This is actually the easy part. Nvidia hardware can build DNNs faster. Tesla already has millions of miles of data and according to Tesla was using MobilEye for limited functionality and everything else was done by Tesla using other means.

Using the data they already have, they can build better networks and hardware and test it out is a fast feedback loop.

Reactions: Red Sage
maybe tesla is working on their own chipset..

they started with a lotus platform on the roadster before building their own. they started using other companies batteries before building gigafactory. would anyone be surprised given Elon's hints at autonomy before EyeQ4 is due to be ready, if Tesla was building their AP hardware/software 100% themselves?

What I meant was that Mobileye is still ahead of everyone. So how can Nvidia (likely replacement), provide a faster track to full autonomy? This may be a good move for Tesla in the long run if Nvidia's tech can mature to suit requirements. But I can't imagine how this would get Tesla full autonomy any quicker. The move doesn't make sense for that purpose.

Yes, well how so would be the question and what is their development strategy. "Tesla AP" is a set of technologies undergoing constant development. What parts of 'Tesla AP" actually belong to Tesla.

Everyone else has access to MobileyeQ3/Bosh/etc and cannot beat AP because Tesla's advantage is it's software and constant development/updates.

I just hope the necessary hardware will be in the Model 3 on day one. I don't care if they need another 2 years after that to develop the software for it but I'd be a little bummed out if they start rolling out new models with upgraded hardware shortly after getting my Model 3.
I think you can count on a constant improvement in hardware necessary to support autonomous driving with consequent obsolescence. So you'd have to buy a new car to get the latest tech. The next best thing would be some kind of modular design for the components which would allow some upgradability.

But we don't really know what Musk means by "fully autonomous" for his 2018 goal and therefore what hardware requirements are necessary. His idea likely just means adding some degree of urban capability allowing for maybe full autonomy for 90% of time or distance from and back to your home parking spot.

That last 10% represents the inevitable, but much more difficult driving scenario problems to solve. 1% of that 10% could represent years of work and enable hundreds of new special environments and conditions. These extra scenarios will undoubtedly require more processing power and better sensors. You may think that 90% is good enough until new features provide much more convenience for your particular needs.

I think you can count on a constant improvement in hardware necessary to support autonomous driving with consequent obsolescence. So you'd have to buy a new car to get the latest tech. The next best thing would be some kind of modular design for the components which would allow some upgradability.

But we don't really know what Musk means by "fully autonomous" for his 2018 goal and therefore what hardware requirements are necessary. His idea likely just means adding some degree of urban capability allowing for maybe full autonomy for 90% of time or distance from and back to your home parking spot.

That last 10% represents the inevitable, but much more difficult driving scenario problems to solve. 1% of that 10% could represent years of work and enable hundreds of new special environments and conditions. These extra scenarios will undoubtedly require more processing power and better sensors. You may think that 90% is good enough until new features provide much more convenience for your particular needs.
I don't know. I have two eyes and they haven't been upgraded since I got Lasik. Same brain... possibly degraded, over time.

Once you can make an accurate 3D map to a sufficient resolution at a reasonable distance for expected speeds then besides processing speed, I'm not sure there's much else to upgrade hardware-wise (assuming sufficient redundant systems)... Everything else is software.

I don't know. I have two eyes and they haven't been upgraded since I got Lasik. Same brain... possibly degraded, over time.

Once you can make an accurate 3D map to a sufficient resolution at a reasonable distance for expected speeds then besides processing speed, I'm not sure there's much else to upgrade hardware-wise (assuming sufficient redundant systems)... Everything else is software.
You're always going to need faster processing hardware and better sensors.

You're always going to need faster processing hardware and better sensors.
What I'm saying is that I don't see why... there comes a point where the sensors will be able to provide all the necessary information and anything is useless. As for processing, once you achieve real-time or even just acceptable time (much faster than humans) then it'll allow fully autonomous driving. Once you have full autonomy then there's not really a need for better sensors or faster processing.

There will still room for improvement on camera sensor sensitivity and dynamic range for the next few years though.