Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Charge Range on SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can SR+ owners who have charged to full charge (increasing limit to full trip distance) tell me what the range says after full charge? Mine won't go above 230miles. I would have expected 254 miles or thereabouts. This equates to 10% less or thereabouts.
FYI, I'm seeing about 72% Actual vs Rated Range on TeslaFi so even on a 100% charge, my range is 165miles and on day to day charge of 90% it is only 150miles.
I'd like to hear other SR+ owners experience in UK climate in December before speaking to Tesla.

You will not ever see 254 miles, even with a full charge. 254 is the WLTP figure that Tesla quote and it’s a standard used to compare against other EV’s.

230 miles seems OK. The max I saw the couple of times I charged to full in Sept/Oct was 235. In winter you can expect anywhere between 100-160miles on a full charge. Speed, acceleration, temperature, wind, rain, load, cabin temp and fan speed, use of AC, multiple short trips vs a single long trip - all these can contribute to reducing range and have a more acute affect in winter when the colder batteries have to work in non-optimal conditions.

The good thing is range can be 20-30% better in the summer.

Reactions: davidmc
Currently shows 232. Real world about 150 when you leave a buffer to not arrive on zero.

This is disappointing compared to the USA/UK advertised numbers TBH. I didn’t expect to get 240 but I though it would be more like 200. Yes, 40 miles (20%) does make a difference. It is perfectly manageable but I’d have to think about a LR if buying again. I’m used to having 600 mile tank and not thinking about driving 6h non-stop.

SR+ does mean planning long trips, a dependency on superchargers, a few enforced stops (not really a bad thing), a little behavioural change and a little range anxiety if there isn’t a supercharger where your going.

I get 220 miles which I assume is lower because I have 19" wheels. (I *could* try changing the settings to say I have 18" to see if it increases but I always forget when I'm in the car lol)

Purely anecdotally I got a TPMS warning during the week - I normally don't really worry about tyre pressures and just top up when the warnings come on. I think the pressures were 39psi on delivery and I've never topped them up.

Having googled the correct tyre pressures (yes I know I should just look on the door pillar but see my previous paragraphs) I now have more understanding of how tyre pressure affect range - now having set the tyres to 42psi I'm seeing lower Wh/Mi figures.

So simple message - make sure your tyre pressures are correct and you'll see better range.

Can SR+ owners who have charged to full charge (increasing limit to full trip distance) tell me what the range says after full charge? Mine won't go above 230miles. I would have expected 254 miles or thereabouts. This equates to 10% less or thereabouts.
FYI, I'm seeing about 72% Actual vs Rated Range on TeslaFi so even on a 100% charge, my range is 165miles and on day to day charge of 90% it is only 150miles.
I'd like to hear other SR+ owners experience in UK climate in December before speaking to Tesla.

Those numbers look about right for this time of the year depending on usage. A pro-rata 254 for 100% of your battery can be achieved in summer but only in quite special circumstances and with very economical driving on gentle country roads. (I have to say I can't match my ICE car claimed range at any time of the year no matter how I drive!) Even in cold weather there will be a huge variation depending on journey lengths, wind, rain etc. Sometimes on a long journey you can do much better than what you are seeing but it's obviously worth planning for worst case consumption.

This time of year - aim for around 65/70% efficiency - heaters/heated seats/wind/rain/cold etc etc all affect the range.

Trust me when I say - switch to % instead of miles - then just enjoy driving the car and charge when you need to. it's simple.

No one ever moan/complained/talked about not getting the "advertised" MPG on their petrol/diesel cars - why bother with Tesla.

Just enjoy the drive, charge when you need to. End of.

Reactions: ChrisA70
I'm happy with leaving it to show the range - at the end of the day % and range are just numbers.

Once you've done some summer trips, winter trips, short trips, long trips, you get a feel of how quickly the range will come down based on the current driving conditions.

The WLTP figure is a bit misleading though. Tesla must have enough data points from M3 owners now to provide an alternative/addtional real world achievable range figure. A range figure that averages across town/motorway driving and summer/winter driving and adjusted for the country they are selling in.

Reactions: moj66
im getting 230 100%, it was previously 238 before the last couple of software updates..

i can get about 2 miles per % if needed, so using full 100% i can get 200miles out of it, recently done a few longer trips, obviously never taken to 0% but averaging prety close to 2miles per 1%, and some of that is faster motorway driving, but obviously alot of stedy 50mile averages....

People rarely seem to acknowledge that the 100% to 0% range is not a helpful number to have in your head anyway. Nobody is ever going to drive from 100% to 0%. The problem with it is that non-ev owners (and perhaps new ev owners) start off with a figure in their heads that this is the distance you can probably drive in one go, before charging... and therefore the reality comes as a disappointment and a point of criticism! The disappointment continues when people spot that the range they were quoted at the beginning of the day is never achieved (ok it may be achieved once in a blue moon).

The reality is that even the SR+ has plenty of daily range for most of the driving most people ever need to do ... just don't dwell on those numbers! It's a fantastic car to drive day to day and really does feel like "the future". If there's a long trip then that's the time to do some planning ahead. Using abetterrouteplanner enables you to test out that detail of what's possible for your particular trip in advance ... telling you how much you need to charge, and where.

This way of thinking often comes into charging rates too. "Positive" articles in the press seem to see a 150kW supercharge rate and just multiply the numbers to show how massively fast the car can charge up to high percentages ... there we are, set up for disappointment again, since the car will rarely charge at that rate and certainly not above about 50% state of charge. Alternatively the "negative" articles in the press stress how ridiculously long it takes to charge an ev because they calculate supercharging from 0% to 100% ... which nobody ever does! For the avoidance of disappointment people need to hear that mid-journey supercharging often only needs to be for a few minutes and only needs to increase your battery by the percentage needed for the next leg of the trip! In the real world I've had problems with supercharging being too quick for me to get a bite and use the toilet!

Also worth pointing out that 1% change in battery indicator on SR covers anything between approx 0 and 2.4/2.5 miles range, even more on LR. Add in cells not being recently balanced making full charge even more of a guesstimate, 10 mile or so 'loss' in range really isn't anything to worry about.

Agree with Adopado,

although i looked at abetterroutplanner for a recent trip and it scared me a bit, it said i would arrive with 4%, but in reality i had about 20%.

So far 5weeks in and im loving it, and not woringabout range.... i like seeing it at 1500+WH/m on occasion...;)

Just remember, tesla uk site shows WLTP range. The car will show EPA range. Two different standards.

You will never see 258 at 100 because it's WLTP.

to be honest between the 3 different bullshit numbers percentage is the most accurate and easy y to calculate with.

If you r destination needs more that 50 you need to charge to get back... Simple.

1 percent to park (no sentry) per day, simple.

1 percent with sentry per hour, simple.

All this you lost 12 imaginary miles bla bla bla... Far to complicated.