Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full self drive... Maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having purchased full self drive in a fully loaded 2017 Model S and having Tesla Techs installed the new hardware I find the result disappointing. I am told " The model S having the first generation infotainment system the visualizations are limited". In order to have full visualization you would have to upgrade.... with a cost I'm sure.

I am also the owner of a 2019 Model X which stops for traffic lights and has visualizations. Note the Model S does not stop for traffic lights, visualizations aside.

I feel Tesla is cheeping out and not providing full self drive. I welcome your thoughts and recommendations.
Christopher

It would depend on what you consider "FSD". If you mean unattended "drive me to wherever without any issues" I would say never. My AP2 equipped 2016 (one of the first) cannot drive east at sunrise or west at sunset ("camera blocked" error), thats a huge fail (maybe corrected with hardware/software on newer cars?).

There is a reason why the self driving cars testing all have at least 4 LIDAR sensors, you simply cannot with todays technology use vision alone. Tesla does well with the system they have but I will never "set and forget" the "autopilot" Cadillac got the name right with supercruise, thats all tesla will aver be in its current hardware config

Reactions: Wol747
It would depend on what you consider "FSD". If you mean unattended "drive me to wherever without any issues" I would say never. My AP2 equipped 2016 (one of the first) cannot drive east at sunrise or west at sunset ("camera blocked" error), thats a huge fail (maybe corrected with hardware/software on newer cars?).

There is a reason why the self driving cars testing all have at least 4 LIDAR sensors, you simply cannot with todays technology use vision alone. Tesla does well with the system they have but I will never "set and forget" the "autopilot" Cadillac got the name right with supercruise, thats all tesla will aver be in its current hardware config

I've got an AP2 and I've only gotten those errors once (and yes, I drive at those times often enough). I haven't seen it in over a year. You also are incorrect that vision only is limited. The truth is the opposite (vision is the only way to have FSD).

You feel you didn't do your homework. It's extremely well documented, and all over this forum, that the MCU1 > 2 upgrade is $2,500 and along with that upgrade come everything you're disappointed about.

Here's 253 pages of posts discussing the MCU upgrade: Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500
Thanks... I will read however I did expect if I purchased full self drive in the beginning this is what would be included in future revisions. Thus MCU2 should have been at no charge.

The

Details aside: The model S should perform as does my Model X with enhanced/full/whatever self drive. Its limited by hardware. Hardware that should be provided as part of the upgrade which was originally paid for.

Reactions: Chaserr and Altes
Tesla doesn't always follow through with what you paid for. There are a lot of people here who own the first version of Autopilot and were told their car would summon across the country to come find them. They can't even upgrade to Smart summon so their car can come and find them across a parking lot! Some of us have even had things we paid for taken out of our cars with no refund.

Reactions: am_dmd and Wol747
MCU1/HW3 should stop at stoplights/signs just fine. If you just installed it, it can take a while to load new maps or calibrate. You also need to enable both stoplights mode and visualizations. It should perform all the available FSD driving features. It just won't display all the objects on the screen.

Reactions: SO16 and croman
MCU1/HW3 should stop at stoplights/signs just fine. If you just installed it, it can take a while to load new maps or calibrate. You also need to enable both stoplights mode and visualizations. It should perform all the available FSD driving features. It just won't display all the objects on the screen.
Agreed..

Its my understanding, that with full FSD and MCU1, his S should have exact same actual autopilot driving functionality as even a brand new 2020 Model S. But will not have all of the same visualizations.

Reactions: SO16
Hi...The S has been installed for over 3 weeks. .. No it does not stop for Traffic lights or show the lights. I will contact Tesla though getting hold of them is getting more and more difficult.

Tesla doesn't always follow through with what you paid for. There are a lot of people here who own the first version of Autopilot and were told their car would summon across the country to come find them. They can't even upgrade to Smart summon so their car can come and find them across a parking lot! Some of us have even had things we paid for taken out of our cars with no refund.
Yup I agree. I have had 3 instances. Over the years bought 3 Tesla's the first in 2014 which delivered on expectations.

Anyone know why there is a gap in the 2.5 hardware dates related to upgrading to FDC?
Did they put in older 2.0 in cars for 6 weeks?
Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

Model Configuration Expected Availability
Model S Model X Autopilot Computer 2.5
Built before mid-January 2018 or after March 2018 Scheduling Autopilot Computer 2.5
Built between mid-January 2018 and March 2018 Scheduling Autopilot Computer 2.0 Scheduling