Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fully loaded 2015 Model S P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm helping my Dad sell his 2015 P85D Model S (he just got a new P100D!). I have the car posted on Autotrader, Cars.com and Craigslist Los Angeles area but just found this forum and wanted to share the listing and ask if people thought the price was fair/low/high.

Here's the CL ad with all the details, but I'll also post the main stats below: FULLY LOADED 2015 Tesla Model S w/ Ludicrous mode 24,654 miles

24,654 miles
Excellent aesthetic condition, perfect working condition
Purchased every option available (totaling $69,750) except for rear facing child seats
Walk-away purchase price was $158K
Silver exterior, black interior
No accidents, never smoked in, no children, no pets, no defects, all scheduled maintenance and updates, always garaged (home and work)
Purchased extended warranty, so the basic warranty is active until January 21, 2023 along with the battery and drive unit warranty as well

The KBB value I got on the high end for a private sale was $84K+, so I originally listed the car at $85,000. After a week of inactivity, I lowered it to $79,900. I'm hoping there's some good samaritans over here that can give me some pointers into the true value of the car. Conversely, if anyone is interested in the car I'm happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks!
(PS, I'm a proud Model III owner, so I'm sure this wont be my only participation with this message board)

It's a good looking car. The prices are falling faster than you would like, unfortunately. Right now there are p90d's CPO's in the 70's. One almost fully loaded (no dual charger) sold for 73 and another for 75.

I bought a still under factory warranty 2014 Mercedes SL550 just over a year ago and I'll be lucky to get 40 grand for it today with months left on the CPO warranty. It's just the nature of the used car market.

On the flip side, I've seen plenty of examples of people unreasonably overpaying for cars, so there's always that.

I took a quick look at the market. In my humble opinion, if you got 70 for your Dad's car that would be a good, quick and easy deal. Full disclosure - I've been looking for a P100D so I'm not any sort of expert on P85DL pricing.

What is the build date? If it's prior to May, 2015, the car probably has the much coveted "unicorn" suspension. That might help your sale.

I have a friend that might be interested. I'm in the valley. Maybe I'll come down and take a look.

Best of luck on your sale. I hope someone gives you your full asking price. Enjoy your 3!

Oh wow, thanks! My mom had a 2012 which I sold for her recently and I must have put that VIN on the current listing. (She got a new X btw)

Here's the correct VIN for the 2015 - 5YJSA1H21FFP67366

You might want to call your local SC, give them the VIN and find out if it has the "Plus Suspension". If it does it will be worth a pretty penny.

Last edited:
What is the build date? If it's prior to May, 2015, the car probably has the much coveted "unicorn" suspension. That might help your sale.

Just for clarity, it's the Performance Plus (or +) suspension from the P85+. Since there were thousands of these produced, they really aren't unicorns.

The true 'unicorns' are the fewer than 300 P85+ cars produced with AP1 right before production stopped for the P85D to replace it. Which is why early P85Ds have the + suspension.

The OP's car also has the rare next-gen rear seats, which was also only during the first few months of P85D production.

You might want to call your local SC, give them the VIN and find out if it has the "Plus Suspension" ...if it does it's worth a pretty penny.

99.9% chance it does with Jan-2015 production date.

Reactions: MIDImunk
It's a good looking car. The prices are falling faster than you would like, unfortunately. Right now there are p90d's CPO's in the 70's. One almost fully loaded (no dual charger) sold for 73 and another for 75.

I bought a still under factory warranty 2014 Mercedes SL550 just over a year ago and I'll be lucky to get 40 grand for it today with months left on the CPO warranty. It's just the nature of the used car market.

On the flip side, I've seen plenty of examples of people unreasonably overpaying for cars, so there's always that.

I took a quick look at the market. In my humble opinion, if you got 70 for your Dad's car that would be a good, quick and easy deal. Full disclosure - I've been looking for a P100D so I'm not any sort of expert on P85DL pricing.

I have a friend that might be interested. I'm in the valley. Maybe I'll come down and take a look.

Best of luck on your sale. I hope someone gives you your full asking price. Enjoy your 3!

Really appreciate your insight, thanks.

The build date was January 2015, so I guess it's one of these rare "unicorns" that has the Smart Air Suspension and Ludicrous (do I have that right, that it's these two options together that was only available for a few months?).

The build date was January 2015, so I guess it's one of these rare "unicorns" that has the Smart Air Suspension and Ludicrous (do I have that right, that it's these two options together that was only available for a few months?).

The unicorn combo is the P85D (regardless of L) with the + suspension, which was independent of the SAS. It has some different parts that makes the suspension more sporty.

Is the window sticker available for this? I didnt think the options could get as high as $150k+. From all the window tags I've seen of P85Ds, I haven't seen one over $135k. Posting the sticker might help with the sale. You can call your local service center and they'll email you a copy of it as the owner within minutes.

Reactions: MIDImunk

Not smart air, the plus suspension....two different things. Call your local SC, give them the VIN and ask if it has the "plus suspension"

The unicorn combo is the P85D (regardless of L) with the + suspension, which was independent of the SAS. It has some different parts that makes the suspension more sporty.

Is the window sticker available for this? I didnt think the options could get as high as $150k+. From all the window tags I've seen of P85Ds, I haven't seen one over $135k. Posting the sticker might help with the sale. You can call your local service center and they'll email you a copy of it as the owner within minutes.

The window sticker price was $133,320, but my Dad said after taxes and other related costs it came to the $158K out of his pocket. I'm not sure how he got that number, I should double check.

Just for clarity, it's the Performance Plus (or +) suspension from the P85+. Since there were thousands of these produced, they really aren't unicorns.

The true 'unicorns' are the fewer than 300 P85+ cars produced with AP1 right before production stopped for the P85D to replace it. Which is why early P85Ds have the + suspension.

The OP's car also has the rare next-gen rear seats, which was also only during the first few months of P85D production.

99.9% chance it does with Jan-2015 production date.
To be clear, I'm not claiming it is or isn't a "unicorn" but, rather, it's often referred to as such

In my experience talking to a couple service centers, they were very confused by my questions of whether a car had the + suspension and just kept telling me it has smart air suspension. Maybe someone could explain to OP how to take a pic of the component in question.