Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny Coincidence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
I was just thinking of how I was going to break the news to my family that I'm getting a Tesla. My father made a comment a while back that he thought Teslas were too expensive and I think he might chastise me for spending so much on a car, but really no ICE fit the bill.

I don't know what my sister will think, she did put a 15 KW solar system on her house almost 10 years ago, but she also is a petroleum geologist and very conservative politically and might think Tesla is a pinko commie sort of company. I've never broached the subject with her, so I don't know what she thinks. Her partner collects and restores old Packards, he might approve.

I was just thinking about how to finesse this with my family and turned on the news only to see a commercial I hadn't seen before where a young man is telling his father that he's broken from the family car tradition (they cut to a picture of the father standing in front of a BMW) and the father is disapproving of the kid going his own way. The commercial is for Infiniti, but it could easily sum up where I am with my Tesla order.

Not that I need approval from my family, I've always been the family black sheep, but it does make family get togethers easier if there is no animosity.

You might consider just showing up with the car and offering to give them a ride.

I have a good friend who is very conservative politically and I remember her saying in 2012 that Tesla was only in business because of government money and was going to be a total flop. I had been a huge fan of the company for years (so much so that I finagled my way into a tour of the old San Carlos facility when they had made only six prototype Roadsters) and I had just bought some stock, but I chose to keep my mouth shut. Fast forward about three years to a few months ago and we both were given a ride in a brand new Model S with autopilot. She was completely blown away by the car (and by the autopilot), and immediately was lusting after a Tesla of her own. Seeing is believing.

Or you can just tell them and accept whatever reaction you get -- like when I told my parents I stood in line for 2 and 1/2 hours to order two Model 3s, which they thought was pretty strange behavior for a man in his 50s.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The politics are my sister is in the oil business (she's a self made multi-millionaire because of it) and my father has made a killing on oil stocks over the years. When the oil company stocks were down under $10 a share he bought stock in several companies and he said in dividends alone he's made back more than his initial investment. The stocks now are worth 20X what he paid for them.

Making wise investments is a big theme in my family and they may see putting $100K into car as a stupid investment, and as an investment it isn't a great idea. My sister and father both drive mid-trim level Ford Fusions even though they could easily afford something more expensive. My sister could buy a Bugatti if she really wanted one.

I looked at the Fusion, but my legs are too long to be comfortable on a long road trip.

I have thought about just showing up, but they would know something was up if I was driving down (they live in Central California). They know my SO's car is too small for me on long road trips and my current car is too old (24 years). Last time I came down I took Amtrak most of the way and rented a car for the last leg.

My father also asks me when I call if I've made up my mind about a car yet. I almost told him the last time we talked, but after he asked something distracted the conversation down a different route.

Clearly your family is into long term, profitable investments.

Without deriding their current investments/career in oil, you can point out the macroeconomic transition that is occurring in the oil/gas business. Increased supply (frackers/Iran, etc...) and decreasing demand (pivot to EVs in Europe, China, North America, etc...) and the subsequent increasing risks associated with oil/gas investments. There are of course ups and downs with the oil/gas markets that I'm sure your family knows all too well. Point out the future risks of the oil/gas investments.

Then you can point out that you are investing in a beautiful EV with the latest technology, which Unlike all other cars out there will update itself. Instead of buying a car which immediately becomes obsolete as soon as you drive it off (especially nowadays, all cars have advanced computerization), you will have a car which will maintain it's technological edge with recurring OTAs... i.e.--good investment.

You can point out all the wonders of the Tesla, culminating in a test drive(s). And ultimately, should they ask, you can always point out it is an American made car of the future (sold my parents on it with that. They never liked the fact I drove non-US cars). And it's success will re-energize (pun intended) the US auto-sector.

Good luck and congrats on ordering! You will LOVE the car!

The politics are my sister is in the oil business (she's a self made multi-millionaire because of it) and my father has made a killing on oil stocks over the years. When the oil company stocks were down under $10 a share he bought stock in several companies and he said in dividends alone he's made back more than his initial investment. The stocks now are worth 20X what he paid for them.

Making wise investments is a big theme in my family and they may see putting $100K into car as a stupid investment, and as an investment it isn't a great idea. My sister and father both drive mid-trim level Ford Fusions even though they could easily afford something more expensive. My sister could buy a Bugatti if she really wanted one.

I looked at the Fusion, but my legs are too long to be comfortable on a long road trip.

I have thought about just showing up, but they would know something was up if I was driving down (they live in Central California). They know my SO's car is too small for me on long road trips and my current car is too old (24 years). Last time I came down I took Amtrak most of the way and rented a car for the last leg.

My father also asks me when I call if I've made up my mind about a car yet. I almost told him the last time we talked, but after he asked something distracted the conversation down a different route.
I say skip the politics and educate them on something they know nothing about: launch mode

I feel your pain. My siblings have no idea my income and have successfully hid it well. I am absolutely incapable of keeping this a secret because I'm so excited and my brother-in-laws response (who is in finance) was "a new car is the worst investment you could ever make." My dad has had an incredibly successful professional career and has owned AMG just about everything, a Vantage, a nice SL 55 (I believe) and can't wrap his head around an almost silent engine. Fortunately, he is really excited for me (for some reason he still thinks a model S costs $70k)

Cars are terrible investments as a rule. There are rare exceptions, but most folks can't afford to buy a one-of-a-kind Maserati to get an appreciating car.

If you treat cars (and any depreciating asset) as an expense, you'll be well off. Having said that, I need to drive places - when I drive, I want to be comfortable. That generally means I'm not driving a Yaris. Could I have done without a Tesla? Easily! After decades of work and saving and risk, did I want to? No!

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If you want to tell them, tell them.
You want it, you're buying it yourself.
If they disagree with you, it's fine. It's your money.
If you can't deal with them disagreeing with you, then I feel sorry for you.
It's only a problem for them if they're total douches about it, in which case it's worth remembering that you can't choose your family, so it's OK not to want to hang out with them.

Reactions: Tex EV
Cars are terrible investments as a rule. There are rare exceptions, but most folks can't afford to buy a one-of-a-kind Maserati to get an appreciating car.

If you treat cars (and any depreciating asset) as an expense, you'll be well off. Having said that, I need to drive places - when I drive, I want to be comfortable. That generally means I'm not driving a Yaris. Could I have done without a Tesla? Easily! After decades of work and saving and risk, did I want to? No!

I've gotten 24 years out of my current car. I bought it new in 1992 and it still runs great.

If you want to tell them, tell them.
You want it, you're buying it yourself.
If they disagree with you, it's fine. It's your money.
If you can't deal with them disagreeing with you, then I feel sorry for you.
It's only a problem for them if they're total douches about it, in which case it's worth remembering that you can't choose your family, so it's OK not to want to hang out with them.

The thread was more about my thinking about how I was going to tell my family about it and then seeing a commercial with someone telling his father he was splitting from the family tradition. And as I said later, I don't need their approval, I've always been the family's black sheep, but it does make get togethers easier without animosity.