Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FUSC 75% drive 15% FUSC 75% drive 15% etc long distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EV newbie, first EV pending
via previous threads here I've learned 75%-15% is best strategy...? (20 min per FUSC stop)
I'm in contact with (2) sellers:
a. 2016 S 70 238 range at 100% 13K miles
b. 2016 S P90D 290 range at 100% 24K miles

for (a) the drive distance between FUSC = ~120 miles?
what would it be for (b)? the same or more?
note: I realize FUSC stations are NOT spaced for me...
thanks in advance

Tesla A) If you plan on charging to 75% and driving until your charge is 15%, then 75% of 238 is 178 miles. 15 % of 238 is 36 miles. Miles between charges would be 178-36 or 142 miles

Tesla B) 75% of 290 is 217 miles. 15% of 290 is 44 miles. Miles between charges would be 217-44 or 173 miles

Or course your range will vary due to weather, speed, etc. Also, your supercharging stops will likely be a bit longer than 20 minutes.

I think you just mean "supercharger" -- FUSC typically means "full unlimited supercharging" or some such.

With DC Fast charging, which includes superchargers but would include any of the other roadside fast charging infrastructure -- the goal is to get to wherever you want to go as quickly as possible.

An electric car can push electricity in to a battery very quickly when the battery is very empty but needs to be cautious to not overcharge the battery so once the battery's 50 to 80% full the charge management throttles how quickly to fill the battery. Imagine "here's a cup if you overfill the cup it explodes and kills everyone. Fill it as quickly as possible! You'd be able to fill the first half pretty easily without worry but the last 5% you'll be using an eyedropper to drip the water in. That's what the charger does too -- fast at first then slowly and carefully towards the end.

So from 0-50% you can do the charge in 5-20ish minutes (depending on many things) but 50-80 will take 20 minutes and 80-90 will take 20 minutes and 90 to 95% will take 20 minutes, and 95-97% will take 20 minutes. So -- if you need the range to get to the next place, fill up to whatever, but if you can get to the next stop by charging only to 50%, that's going to get you through the journey faster.

• Helpful
Reactions: byeLT4
Tesla A) ...Miles between charges would be 178-36 or 142 miles
Thanks. Confirmed by owner of (a) stating 140 mi;

Anyone: original owner-seller of (b) just stated they DON'T have SC01 FUSC;
(it is possible they never used & don't know...?)
FUSC is a must for me.
I thought all pre-2017 S owned by original owner have SC01... ❓ 😱 ‼️ ❓ 😱
Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks. Confirmed by owner of (a) stating 140 mi;

Anyone: original owner-seller of (b) just stated they DON'T have SC01 FUSC;
(it is possible they never used & don't know...?)
FUSC is a must for me.
I thought all pre-2017 S owned by original owner have SC01... ❓ 😱 ‼️ ❓ 😱
Please advise. Thanks in advance.
First, are you absolutely certain they are the first/original owner?

The one scenario I can think of is that towards the end of 2016 cars had to be ordered by Jan 15, 2017 and then had to take possession by April 1, 2017 (if I recall the delivery date correctly). It's always possible their vehicle was a showroom display, and while they were the first owner, to wasn't purchased/delivered prior to April 1, 2017 cut-off. That seems unlikely, but it's a possibility.

The other thing about that car I'm skeptical about is it being stated as a P90D with a range of 290 miles. I have a 90D and rated range when new is 294 miles. The P models were not rated quite as high, so I suspect something's off. Either the range is not being quoted in rated miles, or it's not a P, or they are quoting it using ideal miles. 290 rated would be about 232 rated miles (rated = 80% of ideal).

Reactions: Ciaopec
that 2016 P90D offer is signaling problems;
the contact is the private owner's "assistant"
the assistant didn't know what SC01 was;
the assistant side commented the private owner has (16) cars...
all this could be legit, but.... 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫

I guess I can post vin# as its publicly viewable on AutoTrader:
(if it violates forum rules please delete) 🫣 🫣 🫣
5YJSA1E43GF128607 is that a one-owner-not-dealer 2016 P90D...?
From that VIN I would guess this is likely an original black oval front fascia car or one of the very first of the revised front fascia cars. Mine is a June 2016 build and VIN is in the 145xxx range. My quick search says a P90D in that vintage likely had about a 270 mile rated range when new, so the 290 mile range does not fit as I indicated earlier. It also clearly wound not fit in the potential isolated case of where I'd expect a 2016 to potentially not have SC01 transferrable FUSC if it was a private party purchase from the original owner. Everything could be legit, but personally I'd be hesitant if I was not able to access the car and get the owner to show me directly the option codes which can be stripped out from the HTML code behind the car image displayed in their on-line owners account.

that 2016 P90D offer is signaling problems;
the contact is the private owner's "assistant"
the assistant didn't know what SC01 was;
the assistant side commented the private owner has (16) cars...
all this could be legit, but.... 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫 😵‍💫
We sold our first Model X to a billionaire, arranging everything with his assistant first. When we delivered it, we took the car elevator to his underground garage and parked it by his Rolls Royce.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I'd be hesitant if I was not able to access the car and get the owner to show me directly the option codes which can be stripped out from the HTML code behind the car image displayed in their on-line owners account.
Thanks.
Assistant forwarded owner's smartphone screen grab showing P90D SC01 included...
But leaning towards a 70 SC01 due to several positives, only negative vs P90D is 238 range
meaning 75% drive 140 mi 15% charge 20 min stop 75% drive 140 mi 15% etc
instead of P90D 75% drive 170 mi 15% charge 20 min stop 75% drive 170 mi 15% etc
but $12K+ more for unneeded Plaid, wrong color, must wrap... 👎 👎 👎

Just a heads up, I don't think a 20 minute charge will get you from 15-75% and the 70 should charge slower than the 90. My 100 on V2 SC (up to 150kW) recently (real world) has done 18 minutes 18%-56% adding 109 miles of range and 40 minutes 12%-76 adding 179 miles. These are just examples obviously but just be aware the car does not always charge at optimum levels.

I think this is the P90D?

From the rear badging it's a P90DL, if that's relevant. Agree that the range being quoted for it is probably ideal, not rated.

My $0.02: figure out what's most important to you. From your original question I infer that range - or, specifically, the ability to cover long distances with minimal charging time - is high on your priority list. In which case the smallish battery of the 70D will be a hindrance. So, tbh, would the 21" wheels on that P90D.

Assuming the $50k asking price of the P90DL is indicative if your budget, you could get into a 100D for that, with significantly more range than either of the cars you're looking at. A little more gets you an LR or LR+. BUT these options wouldn't have FUSC, though ... if that's a must-have then a V3 90D is probably your best bet for better range and quicker charging - the 70D and early P90D will be sloooow to charge. One of the third party websites used to have helpful data on charge speeds for different models but I can't find it now.

As to FUSC, opinions vary as to its value, but I gave up FUSC moving from an 85D to my current LR+ and haven't missed it; I've spent a few hundred bucks on charging but it charges so much quicker, and the range is so much better, that the tradeoff (to me) is well worth it. If you're looking at tens of thousands of miles a year of free charging, though, and you don't mind sitting around playing cuphead while you charge at double-digit kW, then the equation becomes very different.

Whatever you decide, happy hunting :)

PS: Further thought on range and charging: 15% is a very generous buffer. Once you get comfortable with the car, aim for around 7% on arriving at the supercharger. Because the lower your battery when you start charging, the longer you stay in the high-kW part of the charging curve. Have a play with abetterrouteplanner.com, modeling different journeys with different cars and arrival / departure percentages, to see what I mean.

I went back and looked at my charging logs for some actual times charging my mid-2016 MS90D. Most of these are on V3 superchargers during long range trips, typically with multiple stops per day, so battery fully charged and represent about best you'll see.

19-21% -> 70%: 3 different locations, times range between 26-27 min.
10% -> 70%: 1 time, 30 minutes.

For comparison, 20% -> 80% is about 35 minutes, so times as the charging taper results in about as long to add that last 10% as it probably was for the first 25% added during the session.

Now these times all come from my charging log where I'm running a program I wrote to pull data over the API, so it reflects time for when I detect charging started to when it finished. There's a minute of so flexibility on those end points, but gives you pretty realistic idea for a mid 2016 vintage car like you're considering. If your in racing pitstop timing precision mindset, realize your total stopped time will also reflect added couple minutes on the front end / back end to plug in, unplug after charging stops, get settled back into the car, etc., before you drive off. I generally budget in my trip planning an extra 5 minutes per stop for those factors, reprogramming the NAV, getting resettled in my seat, etc.

Reactions: byeLT4
thanks for most recent posts -- very useful;
may not matter but its an S 70, not 70D.
once familiar, yes we can charge at 7-10%,
although that's dictated by stations, right?
as stock travel photographer, day-long driving will be
less than half the days, going between destinations...
most days will be at destinations & nearby;
charging stops are photo opps too, e.g., chargers,
vehicles being charged, business & signage within
walking distance, drone aerials, etc.
(not directly above vehicles!!)
after 100th station stop, though it may
get tough to shoot something not already taken...
another point, we use IHG points Holiday Inn Express, etc.,
& some will offer overnight charging allowing next day
start at 100%, right? Home = high rise tower, no charging :mad: :mad: :mad:

You’re taking recommended charge habits too literally. There is no issue going below 15% nor higher than 75%. That rule is for general use where most charge at home/overnight. Just charge to what you need. The only “strict” rule/recommendation is to not charge to 100% and let it sit there. If you’ll be mostly supercharging, doesn’t make sense to wait for full 100% anyway due to the severe tapering as the SoC gets up to 80%+. Sounds like the P90D was a toy car for a high net worth individual so if things are on the up and up, I’d go for it.

ps the P in P90D = Performance, not Plaid

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
The issue is maximizing miles between charging stops whilst minimizing charging times of those stops.
Specifically on long distance driving days which will require (2) (3) or more charging stops.
Learning best balance is goal., pre-ownership.
Use ABRP, it does all the calculating for you.

1679072406458.png

Reactions: byeLT4 and gillmj24