Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future Aftermarket M3 Uncork hack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the event Tesla decides not to offer an uncorking of M3 to PM3 for strategic reasons, is it feasible an aftermarket hack might one day exist?

For example in 10 years might one be able to install an 3rd party control system that allows full battery power to motors? Clearly would void warranty now, but at some point one may not care. Thoughts?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Well of course, you can kiss the warranty goodbye. But the bigger question is how to get suitable replacement parts, and at what cost? With electric cars just beginning in the past couple years, I'd think supply and demand means nothing will be cheap to modify. Better off just buying a P3D and be done with it.

Tuning up a Tesla is a little more complex than swapping a Carter BBD and 2 bbl intake in place of a Holley 1920 on a 225 Slant 6 and rigging up something for the transmission kickdown linkage.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Well of course, you can kiss the warranty goodbye. But the bigger question is how to get suitable replacement parts, and at what cost? With electric cars just beginning in the past couple years, I'd think supply and demand means nothing will be cheap to modify. Better off just buying a P3D and be done with it.

Tuning up a Tesla is a little more complex than swapping a Carter BBD and 2 bbl intake in place of a Holley 1920 on a 225 Slant 6 and rigging up something for the transmission kickdown linkage.

...not sure what parts you think they''d need to buy?

The AWD and the P model 3 have literally the exact same batteries and drive units.

The only difference in performance is software.

As to someone offering an AWD->P uncork (if Tesla doesn't) I imagine there'd be hackers able to do it but you'd have to give up OTA updates from Tesla, obviously any warranty coverage on anything, and I'm not sure if they could legally offer the service commercially that would depend on things like DMCA concerns.

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44
Performance mode software is supposedly already dormant on all AWD 3's, it just needs enabled in the service menu. If someone gets access they could make a lot more $$ selling unlocks than getting a M3 from Tesla. Until they have to pay legal fees. ;)

If someone purchased a PM3 control head from scrap yard, could it conceptually be installed? Somewhat like a brain swap... body parts and wiring is all the same.

In 10 years you might be a me to get these on the cheap... I can’t imagine the install is that complicated.

I wonder what rights we have to the actual hardware in our vehicle. Suppose there was an open source Linux build we could run this allowed full power to motors... is it legal?

Reactions: SJC3
Didn't we have a debate on the different rear motors between the AWD and the P3D a while back? Wasn't it determined that they were 2 different motors / part numbers?
Pretty sure this has been debunked and they are the same. There was some discussion that the P3D used "more tested" motors for high performance, but appears the ordering guide for both references same model number.

Reactions: ra88it
Didn't we have a debate on the different rear motors between the AWD and the P3D a while back? Wasn't it determined that they were 2 different motors / part numbers?

Just the opposite- it was repeatedly confirmed they're exactly the same motors.

If a P3D is $10,000 more than an AWD 3 (just making up numbers for now), then knowing Tesla, they will charge $9,999 to upgrade the AWD to P3D speeds, then you won't have the better brakes and other P3D parts.

The base P3D didn't get the brakes and other parts either. It required a $5000 add on to get those (though now they've discontinued this P3D- version and only sell it with the 5k package thrown in free)

Also the brakes aren't any "better" in street use, but they do cost more when they need to be replaced.

And the 20" wheels on the P3D+ are functionally worse than the 18s the base cars come with- heavier, more easily damaged, inferior range, more expensive to replace tires, and not offering any more tire width for all that.

So offering a "speed" unlock only for AWD would turn it onto the original base P3D- (without the 5k package).

Which is the better config in mine (and at least some others) opinions than the one they sell now.

As to numbers- the P3D- was originally 10-11k more than AWD, the P3D+ was 15-16k more.

But then when they began requiring the 5k package but not charging for it they offered all P owners a 5k refund if they gave up FUSC.... so the "net" difference ended up at 5-6k for the - and 10-11k for the +

So 5-6k would be about the "right" price to match what they sold it to everyone else for.

It seems like the P3D- was only 6K more when I placed my order. .

Nope.

Tesla reduces price of Model 3 Performance [Updated: Elon Musk makes it right]

$64,000 was the P3D- base price.

Versus (depending when you ordered as they played with the AWD price a bit) $53-55k for AWD. So 9-11k difference depending on if you got AWD when it was 4, 5, or 6k (over the 49k LR RWD price)

Then it was 5k more for the performance upgrade package to add the 20" boat anchors and the red brakes for 69k.

Then, when the P3D- was killed off, they just included the Performance upgrade package "free" and kept the price at 64k.

So the smallest the difference has ever been is 9k (when AWD was 6k)

Nope.
$64,000 was the P3D- base price.

Versus (depending when you ordered as they played with the AWD price a bit) $53-55k for AWD. So 9-11k difference depending on if you got AWD when it was 4, 5, or 6k (over the 49k LR RWD price)

Ahh, guess I am just dyslexic... So at a time it was 9K more, not 6K. That makes more sense why I didn't pull the trigger as it would have been 11K when I ordered at 53K for AWD... And then the P3D- buyers recently got 5K back! Talk about a steal... Shoulda woulda coulda.