Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future price prediction due to cheaper batter price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chevy Bolt that has a 60kWh battery is going to be sale soon. The price is quite cheap: $38,000 before any tax credits. I believe this price is doable because the battery price will be in half. Presumably, the same story is for Model 3.

Given such cheaper battery price projection, I'm wondering whether the prices of Model S and Model X could be also reduced. What is the current price of the battery pack of Model S and Model X?

Chevy Bolt that has a 60kWh battery is going to be sale soon. The price is quite cheap: $38,000 before any tax credits. I believe this price is doable because the battery price will be in half. Presumably, the same story is for Model 3.

Given such cheaper battery price projection, I'm wondering whether the prices of Model S and Model X could be also reduced. What is the current price of the battery pack of Model S and Model X?

I think that lower battery cost doesn't mean that the price if an S or X will go down... just means that Tesla will get that much closer to profitability.

And I'm ok with that.

Nah, it's like the old days with personal computers. The price stays the same, but you get better, faster, higher capacity hardware over time. It wasn't until PCs became a commodity that the prices decreased. Also, the base price of the Bolt EV is a bit more than that of the Model 3, so it's not as if the format's debut is the opening salvo of a price war.