Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Standard Range Model X and Model S - what's in the battery pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A fourth possibility, by the way, is that it's the same battery as is currently used but with a module taken out. Not sure of the structure of the new refresh batteries, so would need some expert to chime in on that.

Refresh has five battery modules in series to give about 450V. So one module out would be 80% capacity and max volts about 360V. This would match both the announced capacity and power, as less volts mean slower acceleration.

So it would make sense. But still the consensus seems to be now that it is just software locked.

Refresh has five battery modules in series to give about 450V. So one module out would be 80% capacity and max volts about 360V. This would match both the announced capacity and power, as less volts mean slower acceleration.

So it would make sense. But still the consensus seems to be now that it is just software locked.

Has Munroe, or anyone else, done a tear down of the new battery yet? That might shed some light on the possibility of doing this.

And, I wouldn't put it past Tesla to start with software limited batteries and, if it sells well, go to the actually physically smaller capacity battery.

Unlikely a module was removed as the weight is still the same. It’s just software locked. This has been confirmed by Tesla

Only hesitation is the that the "Tesla confirmation" has taken place only from reps in their stores, as far as I know. There is no history of reliability in information from that source. Also, Tesla has often not had the correct information on their web pages until the vehicle is actually shipped (and even later). So, although I think you're probably right, the possibility still remains that they took the hardware route. And, of course, they could always take that route later.

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
The charge time to 100% will be interesting. Most of the time,even on long trips, one seldom uses the 90 to 100% SOC because the wait at the SC is not worth it. Distance between SCs is decreasing, making it rarer and rarer that you need the full battery.
This config could be quite the deal.