Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Future proof purchase.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

X.l.r.8

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2018
Toronto/Tampa
I’m looking to add a more practice vehicle to my daily driver. I am pretty sure I have it narrowed down. My needs are air suspension, sub zero, AWD and a colour scheme my wife likes. Pearl white or soft grey.
It’s slim pickings in Canada so I have either a low milage 2015 S85D white and tan with everything except dual chargers and premium sound and a just completed service.
And a 2016 S75D facelift soft grey/brown, same spec but unknown onboard charger, I’d like 80A as that’s what I have installed. Supercharging makes that somewhat subjective
Real world numbers they seem pretty comparable. The later car is a touch more expensive but I’m not sure if I fully love the facelift version any more than the preface-lift. I know 85D owners love their cars and the 75D seems pretty solid but is there anything that makes either the 85D or 75D tip the scales. Or justify the 5k price difference (I do like the soft grey but not 5k worth),

I’m looking to add a more practice vehicle to my daily driver. I am pretty sure I have it narrowed down. My needs are air suspension, sub zero, AWD and a colour scheme my wife likes. Pearl white or soft grey.
It’s slim pickings in Canada so I have either a low milage 2015 S85D white and tan with everything except dual chargers and premium sound and a just completed service.
And a 2016 S75D facelift soft grey/brown, same spec but unknown onboard charger, I’d like 80A as that’s what I have installed. Supercharging makes that somewhat subjective
Real world numbers they seem pretty comparable. The later car is a touch more expensive but I’m not sure if I fully love the facelift version any more than the preface-lift. I know 85D owners love their cars and the 75D seems pretty solid but is there anything that makes either the 85D or 75D tip the scales. Or justify the 5k price difference (I do like the soft grey but not 5k worth),
Honestly, I am not sure any current owner of either of those batteries who is aware of the current issues is going to recommend either one right now.:(

I have a loaner with AP2, it's not even on my list of wants to be honest. It does not have dual chargers and thats something I really miss when I only have a few hours turn around, the Supercharging takes care of that right now but its not ideal. However this will be a car that will see a lot of miles so the supercharging is a better fit than the dual chargers, but I am being picky and want both.

I have had 2 85's and driven them a combined 175k miles. Not aware of battery issues nor did I have any. I would go with the 85D. The dual chargers are nice but I have learned to live without.
Many nominal 85 kWh batteries are having their battery top-end reduced to preserve the battery. Rated range is being reduced by somewhere around 15%. I guess you didn't get the memo. Don't feel bad, nobody else did, either. If you keep your energy display on percent rather than miles, you would never know.

Many nominal 85 kWh batteries are having their battery top-end reduced to preserve the battery. Rated range is being reduced by somewhere around 15%. I guess you didn't get the memo. Don't feel bad, nobody else did, either. If you keep your energy display on percent rather than miles, you would never know.
Interesting, is this global? I doubt there is enough data to suggest this is viable, is this for all level charging or the whole pack restriction. Can you source that information?

I read that anecdotal stuff, while interesting once you cut through the
S:N I'm still unsure why it did not effect ALL 85kw batteries? Surely a software limit would do the same to all batteries. there are a lot of people reporting no loss of capacity. At the end of the day if I get what I'm getting now with the P85D I find that acceptable.