Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Futuristic Digital License Plate on my Tesla - Rplate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion, California will utilize an embedded chip of some type to identify an individual car, with some kind of scanner - no reflectivity required, no replacement for wear or fails or upgrades, and no cheap stamped metal to be recycled. This type of technology would curtail stolen vehicle incidents, reduce administrative costs, apportion maintenance taxes fairly, and make the highways safer by getting the speed racers off the road. I love the idea of running my car without plates of any type.

Hahahahaha. No.

No way would I purchase one of these. In fact I will actively advocate against them.
  • $1000 cost is a non starter. Knock a zero off and I would still opt for the dirt cheap and reliable metal plate and stickers.
  • Giving my location to an untrusted 3rd party is bad news. It will be monetized or given out freely.
  • Ugly HOV sticker is a human problem that California can fix at any time. Georgia let me buy an alternate plate for $10 extra.
  • Plate color is a human problem that California can fix at any time. Just sell white on black plates for an extra fee.
  • Moving OP’s disabled placard around is another human problem that can be fixed. Just give out 2 placards and trust him not to cheat. The digital plate requires trust anyway unless you buy 2 (LOL).
  • Amber alert/stolen notifications are a negative to me. Half are false alarms and I don’t want to see more stuff flashing on the road even if it is real.
  • Having tolls and parking in one place would be an advantage but I’m positive they don’t have 100% coverage so this is just another addition to my stickers and apps.
  • Not needed for tax apportionment - odometers can be checked at yearly smog/safety/whatever else your state already does.
  • This will inevitably lead to ads on license plates. Maybe not this r plate company but a cheaper competitor will go there unless the government forbids it.

Here are a few of the reasons I decided to install the Rplate in my Tesla:
1) Im not a fan of applying the HOV sticker on such a beautiful car. The Digital Plate will have the ability make those stickers obsolete. Implementation of this HOV access feature will be enabled soon.
4) No more registration stickers All electronic registration

Both are only issues for CA drivers really as far as I’m aware. Us NJ/NY/CT tristate area people don’t have to deal with this sticker nonsense for HOV lane access. Honestly if I lived in CA I would deal without HOV access as it would not be worth the price of making my car fugly with those ridiculous fender stickers. And NJ hasn’t had registration stickers on the license plates for nearly two decades now. Get with the times CA :p

I would consider these digital plates if they were only like $150 total for the pair of front and rear plates and there was no monthly fee.

Does NJ still have the ridiculous red license plate stickers for teenagers? That just seemed like the worst thought plan.

Surprisingly as a life long NJ resident I have never even heard about this until you mentioned it. I’ve never noticed any cars on the road with that red sticker even though this has apparently been a law for 8 years now.

Kyleigh's Law - Wikipedia

Fair point.

Now tell us about your inane windshield stickers instead. :p

You mean the inspection stickers that get placed on the lower drivers side corner of the windshield? Luckily I don’t have to deal with that anymore either. EVs don’t require inspection in NJ, so my entire car is sticker free! :D

View attachment 329127 I have been following the digital license plate pilot program since the beginning of the year and decided to take the plunge last week for a number of reasons. The old metal license plates have been around for over a hundred years and the evolution to a digital plate is an absolute certainty in the years ahead. If you drive a futuristic electric Telsa automobile, you are an early adopter and the digital license plate is probably right up your alley. Here are a few of the reasons I decided to install the Rplate in my Tesla:
1) Im not a fan of applying the HOV sticker on such a beautiful car. The Digital Plate will have the ability make those stickers obsolete. Implementation of this HOV access feature will be enabled soon.
2) Custom Taglines and Graphics/Pictures
3) Realtime kinematics and tracking
4) No more registration stickers All electronic registration.
5) Adjustable background - black background/white lettering or white background / black lettering
6) Tolls / Parking fees - nice to eventually get rid of the EZ Pass box
7) Handicap Placard - we often forget swapping the placard in our cars for our handicapped son.

Al & Eds in Marina Del Rey is running an installation special now, waiving the $380 installation fee if you mention this TMC thread. See these youtube videos:
What does the HOV sticker look like on the plate?

IMG_7248.JPG

I am in the Beta Test program for these plates, got mine the week I got the car back in March, oh, I guess that's on the plate.

I am really excited to get phrases that are more interesting, and pictures of things I am interested in. The software hasn't really changed in the entire time I have had it. Perhaps they have been too busy figuring out the roll-out of hardware.

-Randy

Reactions: BobAbooey