Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD --- BUSTED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree as long as you can turn it off in the settings. The Model X very loudly warns you if you shift out of park with a door ajar. But I like that the driver is still in control and can override that if needed.

Hmmm. I see a software upgrade that would work well here.

We can "geofence" the suspension settings; why not do the same for "FWD OPEN" as a user-selectable feature? In other words, "If within 30' of this location, refuse vehicle movement until FWD are all fully closed." Since the most likely time this would occur is at home, just as with the OP, this simple feature would have prevented the accident.

Thoughts/comments on this?

Tesla, are you listening?

Reactions: fatmiko
Hmmm. I see a software upgrade that would work well here.

We can "geofence" the suspension settings; why not do the same for "FWD OPEN" as a user-selectable feature? In other words, "If within 30' of this location, refuse vehicle movement until FWD are all fully closed." Since the most likely time this would occur is at home, just as with the OP, this simple feature would have prevented the accident.

Thoughts/comments on this?

Tesla, are you listening?

The car, in a rather annoying fashion, lets you know when the FWD is open when you toggle out of Park.

Accidents happen, and you simply can't control every possible condition.

IMO all of Tesla's warning are too quiet and soft except perhaps the warning FWDs/trunk make when they fail to open or close, those are pretty loud and good.

But all dash warning are very soft and not very loud, this includes parking sensors too (and blind spot has some visually soft lines on a small screen!?!). I would prefer an option for much sharper and louder warnings. The soft sounds I tend to ignore too long before reacting to them.

Tesla has this style over substance ethos that goes to warnings too and things like softly engaging high beam lights... What? That's not adding safety, it just looks cool... That fade-in time might mean the difference between a crash and not.

Give me blaring klaxons when falcon wings are open and I move even an inch.

Maybe they should stop the car from moving unless you tap an override on the screen, with an image showing the position of the FWD under it.

If you are concerned about times for repair -- see if you can find out if the body shop is under Tesla's "Pilot" program. I believe the Pilot program is preparation for the influx of vehicles with Model 3, but it appears much faster repair times than previous/existing system even for X, see below. caveat, sample size of basically none.

I got into a minor fender bender in first week of July 2017 (est. ~20k in repairs), did not get car back until end of September 2017(~11 weeks), my father got into an accident with a garage door third week of November 2017 (est. ~45k in repairs (!)), indications from the body shop are that he may get the car back before the end of the year (or ~6-7 weeks) despite double the damage/repairs.