Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gambled and won??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Backstory:

Always been a car guy. First car was a '69 Camaro. Always had some sort of muscle car after that.. Trans Am, Terminator Cobra, multiple corvettes, etc.

Kids came, life changed and started driving things slightly more practical. 6.2 Silverado, JL Rubicon, Ram 1500, JT Mojave.

I got the itch for another "fun" car and started looking at all options. For the ratio of money/practicality/fun, I kept coming back to Tesla. The final straw was a buddy picking an older P85+ and getting to take it for a spin.

I started researching hard and looking for real after that.

Long story short, I found a 2016.5 P90DL on Vroom advertised as a 90D and priced accordingly. They knew zero about any packages or history on the car so it was a big gamble. So, despite this AND all of the horror stories relating to Vroom, I pulled the trigger.

Delivery took slightly longer than anticipated and communication was absolute trash, but it ended up being worth it

2016.5 P90DL with 44k miles, black next gen seat, obeche trim, pano sunroof, were basically the only details I knew for sure at purchase.

Upon delivery I found that it had:
Free Unlimited Supercharging
Free Premium Connectivity
AP1 with convenience features
Ultra High fidelity Sounds
Subzero Package
Smart Air suspension
V2 battery

The only real item that I was disappointed by is that it still has MCU1, but so far it has performed well.

As of this writing I have had the car for 1 week and absolutely love it. The weekend after purchase the wife and I took a 5 hour road trip and enjoyed the free supercharging. She is a fan of the comfortable ride, my boys love the "fart button", I love autopilot on the trip, and the performance is amazing.

I am a drag race fan at heart, and while this is not the quickest/fastest car I have owned, the performance from 10 to roughly 50ish is out of this world.

I'll hit a track this weekend or next, but so far I've had a best 1/8 mile dragy run of 7.16 @ 96.99 with a 1.68 60ft. This is with ludicrous plus, using launch mode and battery only at 80%. I'm interested to see the difference at a higher SOC.

First up plans are to blackout the trim, and find some black arachnids for it.

img-5-960x.jpeg

Backstory:

Always been a car guy. First car was a '69 Camaro. Always had some sort of muscle car after that.. Trans Am, Terminator Cobra, multiple corvettes, etc.

Kids came, life changed and started driving things slightly more practical. 6.2 Silverado, JL Rubicon, Ram 1500, JT Mojave.

I got the itch for another "fun" car and started looking at all options. For the ratio of money/practicality/fun, I kept coming back to Tesla. The final straw was a buddy picking an older P85+ and getting to take it for a spin.

I started researching hard and looking for real after that.

Long story short, I found a 2016.5 P90DL on Vroom advertised as a 90D and priced accordingly. They knew zero about any packages or history on the car so it was a big gamble. So, despite this AND all of the horror stories relating to Vroom, I pulled the trigger.

Delivery took slightly longer than anticipated and communication was absolute trash, but it ended up being worth it

2016.5 P90DL with 44k miles, black next gen seat, obeche trim, pano sunroof, were basically the only details I knew for sure at purchase.

Upon delivery I found that it had:
Free Unlimited Supercharging
Free Premium Connectivity
AP1 with convenience features
Ultra High fidelity Sounds
Subzero Package
Smart Air suspension
V2 battery

The only real item that I was disappointed by is that it still has MCU1, but so far it has performed well.

As of this writing I have had the car for 1 week and absolutely love it. The weekend after purchase the wife and I took a 5 hour road trip and enjoyed the free supercharging. She is a fan of the comfortable ride, my boys love the "fart button", I love autopilot on the trip, and the performance is amazing.

I am a drag race fan at heart, and while this is not the quickest/fastest car I have owned, the performance from 10 to roughly 50ish is out of this world.

I'll hit a track this weekend or next, but so far I've had a best 1/8 mile dragy run of 7.16 @ 96.99 with a 1.68 60ft. This is with ludicrous plus, using launch mode and battery only at 80%. I'm interested to see the difference at a higher SOC.

First up plans are to blackout the trim, and find some black arachnids for it.

View attachment 769947
Congratulations.... looks nice.

Reactions: Jpandes
Congrats! But the MCU2 upgrade? WELL worth the spend. MUCH faster loading of..everything. SOO much smoother than MCU1
Yea, I’m debating on it. Currently not hating the MCU1 so I’m partly content. My buddies older one is much slower to respond/load than mine is. If I had his I would for sure want to change. I guess it’s the 4g vs 3g there.

Then there is the angle of being content because I don’t know how much bette the 2 would be.. Example is my buddy is now shopping for a p100d after driving mine, but he was perfectly content with his p85+ a week ago 😂😂

Reactions: 2101Guy
Nice looking car. I wonder if the Free Supercharging will stick when you set up Tesla account? I thought that was removed when purchased from 3rd party reseller vs. private party. But maybe it's only a Tesla resale that removes it.

Reactions: Ormond
^^^ I got the Tesla account setup on day 3 and it stuck (the whole road trip was after I had account)

I also screenshot it from Tesla once account was setup saying my that it transfers just because I had read on here of things like that disappearing.

Made my way to the local 1/8 drag strip today.

86% SOC, straight in the gates, unloaded the kids, went to the lanes and busted off a 6.99 @ 99 with a 1.57 60ft

This is on the 19” wheels with some no-name 245 all seasons. I’ve got some lighter forgestar wheels ready to go on next time to see if there is any difference to be had there.

This electric stuff is fun.

Attachments

• 161004D6-AC01-47C5-85EE-B70D0B85513A.jpeg
    161004D6-AC01-47C5-85EE-B70D0B85513A.jpeg
    392 KB · Views: 62
  • 1C69A81C-3496-4C40-BAF1-F80F0631D96C.jpeg
    1C69A81C-3496-4C40-BAF1-F80F0631D96C.jpeg
    863.7 KB · Views: 64
  • A6DF3F1A-7DF0-4BF8-A484-4A8BFDD7A6BE.jpeg
    A6DF3F1A-7DF0-4BF8-A484-4A8BFDD7A6BE.jpeg
    582.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 1A102AA9-B826-4F95-B05F-A8E8D7DA6643.jpeg
    1A102AA9-B826-4F95-B05F-A8E8D7DA6643.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 90
wait...i just really read this thread. you got a P model for the price of non P?? AWESOME

Also..the free SC and free premium connectevity transferred with the 2016s if I recall

IN short.you got a STEAL.

But trust me...get the MCU2. Transforms the car experience.

Reactions: Jpandes
wait...i just really read this thread. you got a P model for the price of non P?? AWESOME

Also..the free SC and free premium connectevity transferred with the 2016s if I recall

IN short.you got a STEAL.

But trust me...get the MCU2. Transforms the car experience.
Yep, I agree. I really had my eyes on a p100d, but with this falling in my lap I couldn't pass it up. So far it hasn't disappointed.

After having read about delays in service appointments, I scheduled the MCU upgrade late last month. Currently on the clock for 3/16, but fully anticipate that being delayed. I am still decently happy with the current version and haven't had any delays in normal use. The screen is just as responsive as any other vehicle I have had. The one caveat to that is when resetting the TPMS/changing wheel size after the wheel/tire change, it was sloooow to come back on and was a bit glitchy right after.

Yep, I agree. I really had my eyes on a p100d, but with this falling in my lap I couldn't pass it up. So far it hasn't disappointed.

After having read about delays in service appointments, I scheduled the MCU upgrade late last month. Currently on the clock for 3/16, but fully anticipate that being delayed. I am still decently happy with the current version and haven't had any delays in normal use. The screen is just as responsive as any other vehicle I have had. The one caveat to that is when resetting the TPMS/changing wheel size after the wheel/tire change, it was sloooow to come back on and was a bit glitchy right after.
So one of two things: The car hasnt experienced the inevitable EMMC issue yet, or the recall was already done.

But the MCU2 still will be faster overall. Issues I had with my 2017 (with only 11k miles) before I went MCU2 was navigation directions were slow, meaning, sometimes I'd be in the middle of an intersection and THEN it would tell me I was supposed to have turned at the intersection. Ditto for missing off ramps due to slow/laggy navigation. It would also take excessively long for voice commands to be acknowledged, if they worked at all sometimes. Would also take so long to wakeup when I'd enter the car, the screen would be black for 10-20 seconds after driving off. It got really bad. The breaking point? When I upgraded to FSD. The additional load/strain really made many aspects unusable. As soon as I went MCU2? (this was before the recall became a thing) New car.

Now that said, if you arent experiencing ANY of the issues I noted above? and if you can confirm your recall has been done? One might argue..that you may in fact want to cancel the appt and save money..

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: dblack and Ormond
According to the NHTSA vin search, the recall has not been done. However, I have experienced none of the issues you mentioned above. Wakeup is near instantaneous (screen is always up by the time my butt hits the seat) and car fully "turns on" as soon as the brake pedal is pressed.

However, when you mentioned the nav it did remind me of one issue on my trip during the first weekend with the car. The route planning did not work on the initial leg. It would just spin on the screen where it was getting supercharger data. I just cancelled and manually entered the charger as the destination. I had to do this with both charge stops on the way up. Once heading home, it calculated and routed itself. I just attributed this to network issues, but maybe it wasn't.

Full disclosure, I have not attempted to utilize voice commands yet.

I may go forward with the upgrade anyway for the additional games and Netflix access. Since mine is an AP1 car the price is peanuts. Basically adding those features and avoiding any future headaches is likely worth $1,500.