Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Games... why are they different for different years (3/Y)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model Y and a 2023 Model 3. Why is it that the MY has markedly more games than the Model 3?

Is there any way to get those games on the newer car (I suspect there's not, but worth asking)?

Sometimes I get new ones, sometimes old ones disappear (Sonic no longer in MY).

Its a 1st world, minor nuisance problem, but I'm the main driver of the 2023 and am the only one in my house who would actually play any of the games in either car. The 2021 has some retro games I wish I had in the 2023 (perfect for playing only 5-10min). I only started caring about this with the latest 2023.26 update since I can easily connect a BT controller... now I want the games!

I dont know this for a fact, but I suspect it has to do with the fact your 2021 Model Y likely has "from the factory" DATA usb ports in the console, while the 2023 Model 3 does not have data in the console from the factory.

By "console" I mean the console in between the driver and passenger seat (just for clarity, you likely knew this).

For the cars that did not have USB data in the console, the only USB port with data was in glove compartment, and that one, from the factory, has the Sentry mode flash drive (provided by Tesla) in it. Tesla does not officially support any USB docks at all, so in effect, there is no port to plug in a controller in cars that do not have USB data from the factory.

Thus, tesla flags these cars and does not make any games available that need a controller to play. There are a few different threads here that the above is true (games missing for vehicles that didnt have USB data from the factory), so I feel fairly comfortable connecting those dots.

Tesla was supposedly working on making bluetooth controllers work in these cars, and I think they have done so, but I am not following that discussion because I dont care about the games pre loaded in the car. I dont spend any time at superchargers, and have my smartphone, or a nintendo switch, should I really want to game on the road.

Its likely that these cars (without data in the console from the factory) are flagged as such in Teslas system, so some games are automatically not available (Tesla likes automation wherever possible so would automate this).

Anyway, the TL ; DR is most likely "your 2023 did not come with data ports in the console from the factory, and is likely flagged as such.

Upvote 0
There were a handful of games that did not come with my car but we're added later on as part of an update... however if your WiFi signal strength was poor, it would skip the games. I had to schedule service and ask them to push the games update again (two times actually).

With Bluetooth support now, I can't see why USB ports would matter. I recommend scheduling for service and asking if they can push the other games, see what happens.

Upvote 0
I dont know this for a fact, but I suspect it has to do with the fact your 2021 Model Y likely has "from the factory" DATA usb ports in the console, while the 2023 Model 3 does not have data in the console from the factory.

By "console" I mean the console in between the driver and passenger seat (just for clarity, you likely knew this).

For the cars that did not have USB data in the console, the only USB port with data was in glove compartment, and that one, from the factory, has the Sentry mode flash drive (provided by Tesla) in it. Tesla does not officially support any USB docks at all, so in effect, there is no port to plug in a controller in cars that do not have USB data from the factory.

Thus, tesla flags these cars and does not make any games available that need a controller to play. There are a few different threads here that the above is true (games missing for vehicles that didnt have USB data from the factory), so I feel fairly comfortable connecting those dots.

Tesla was supposedly working on making bluetooth controllers work in these cars, and I think they have done so, but I am not following that discussion because I dont care about the games pre loaded in the car. I dont spend any time at superchargers, and have my smartphone, or a nintendo switch, should I really want to game on the road.

Its likely that these cars (without data in the console from the factory) are flagged as such in Teslas system, so some games are automatically not available (Tesla likes automation wherever possible so would automate this).

Anyway, the TL ; DR is most likely "your 2023 did not come with data ports in the console from the factory, and is likely flagged as such.
My 2021 does have data USB, but the 2023 also has games that require controllers (prior to this update). I was just wondering if it was a licensing issue.

For instance, the 2021 (SW 2023.20.9) has:
Polytopia, Mahjong, Sudoku, Sky Force, Solitaire, CatQuest, Fallout Shelter, Stardew Valley, Backgammon, Cuphead, Beach Buggy Racing, Chess, 2048, Asteroids, Centipede, Superbreakout, Lunar Lander, Missile Command, Millipede, Tempest, and Gravitar

The 2023 (SW 2023.26.7) has:
Vampire Survivors, Polytopia, Mahjohng, Sudoku, Sky Force, Solitaire, CatQuest, Fallout Shelter, Stardew Valley, Backgammon, Cuphead, Beach Buggy Racing, Chess, and 2048

Now that I've listed them all out, I think its all of the Atari games that are missing.... (Asteroids, Centipede, Superbreakout, Lunar Lander, Missile Command, Millipede, Tempest, and Gravitar).

NOTE: Vampire Survivors isnt on the 2021 because I havent gotten 2023.26 on that yet. I wonder if 2023.26 gets rid of those or if they just never get installled on the 2023.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Was your service center able to help you with this?
Given OP is running out of date firmware on both vehicles (even older than my car, his were updated in July and August 2023) I doubt he wants to go anywhere near a service centre since updating the software to the latest version will be the first thing that happens and OP seems to be avoiding doing so.

As to why they have different games, OP may have answered his own question. The cars don't have the same version of software. The games are part of the software updates. Therefore, until both cars are running the same version of software, I would assume the fact they don't have the same software is the answer to why they have different games.

Upvote 0
Given OP is running out of date firmware on both vehicles (even older than my car, his were updated in July and August 2023) I doubt he wants to go anywhere near a service centre since updating the software to the latest version will be the first thing that happens and OP seems to be avoiding doing so.

As to why they have different games, OP may have answered his own question. The cars don't have the same version of software. The games are part of the software updates. Therefore, until both cars are running the same version of software, I would assume the fact they don't have the same software is the answer to why they have different games.
My cars are both on the same software (whatever was most current at the time... and today 2024.2.7). It's a vestige of previous installs on the Model Y.

It would have been nice to have the old school games on the car I drive most (the Model 3), but it's such a minor thing I wouldn't create a ticket for it. My guess is their license with Atari ran out and they stopped installing those classics on cars somewhere between 21 and 23.

1000005729.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My cars are both on the same software (whatever was most current at the time... and today 2024.2.7). It's a vestige of previous installs on the Model Y.
My mistake, I didn't pay attention to the post dates so responded thinking your August post listing two different updates was current.

It is important to note when you have two different cars, with two different types of software, the latest updates available will not necessarily have the same options.

Your cars are now on the same software level and I assume you are saying the same differences in game options remain between them. So I'm assuming the answer is hardware differences or simply "because..... tesla."

Certainly I've got used to mentally filing away 'features' or behaviours talked about by others in New Update TMC threads and waiting patiently for them to come to my vehicle, many, many, months later. I don't think its ever been over a year, but certainly non-USS peeps are still waiting for features I have.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Upvote 0