Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gap between rubber seal on glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you the issue with my car would not show up to anyone looking at the glass panel alignment and how close or far away it is from the adjacent panel. This was well under the glass where is contacts the body / frame of the car, you would have to remove the headliner to see this. What tipped me off was the wind noise and the water entry. Tried to force air into the cabin and soap up the outside looking for bubbles, but it was such a larger area/gap the air was not pressurizing.

Had my roof panel replaced today. Pretty easy process and they gave me a Model S loaner for a day. Significantly reduced wind noise.

Now to see if they will reimburse some of the cost of the tint I put on that panel...

They didn’t say much, except that it was a manufacturing defect and that they needed to replace it. I would go ahead and do it just to be safe. They said they would reimburse me for the tint; however, I have not seen the check...

I just got my rear glass replaced (at Fremont SC) due to stress cracks. The new glass has a huge gap. Hoping I dont have to get the top glass replaced now.

IMG_7511.jpg

Never hurts to get it looked at, especially if you’re already there. Of course, if it ain’t broke...

Update on my tint reimbursement for replaced roof panel (I tinted the whole car with uv/ir tint) - manager agreed but then no forward movement. I brought my car in for a tire rotation, alignment, and really to get them to look at my door seal again (higher air noise passenger front door) before I hit 10,000 miles. Also, I wanted the team to take a look at the paneling under the car to make sure all the undercarriage bolts were still in place. Some YouTube videos indicate that these can come loose for fall out, and it’s a SC common practice to check and secure them.

Anyway, told the SC tech person about the reimbursement and showed them my text and email trail. They zeroed out my SC invoice, which was significantly more than the cost to tint the new roof panel. So good news story!

Also, door seal fixed! She’s so quiet now...

I actually added one of those wind noise reducer seals in between the 2 glasses. But the gap on my glasses is half the width then the pictures posted here. But you should be fine as long as the seal in between the glass and the metal panel is doing its job.

interesting - my problem is when I installed the roof rack, the tool that came with the kit did not properly move the seal away and when the bolt pushed it down instead of to the side.
Now I am afraid to remove the roof rack in case this weather stripping has been ruined. Wondering if anyone else had this problem? Thans