Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gap in recording in Sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was stolen out of my locked garage at 3:15 am. Sentry mode caught the first 26 seconds of travel which was through the garage door to the end of the driveway There is a 2+ minute gap and then recording picks up for about 20 more minutes. During that gap, the car was at the end of my driveway and one of the three burglers was getting into the car. Police (and I) were hoping to get an ID but didn’t. Does anyone know how or why this gap occurred?

Stolen cars is never fun news, and neither is the reliability of Sentry Mode...

There are many reasons that the recording could have stopped:
1 - The car was rebooted during those two minutes
2 - Sentry Mode was turning off while Dash Cam mode was turning on (or the opposite)
3 - There was a system error (e.g. USB reported as too slow - it happens randomly on any type of media)
4 - The occupants were rummaging through the car and possibly unplugged it or caused the USB drive to disconnect and reconnect

and so on...

Unfortunately, there's not one pin point method to say why a recording stopped... In your situation, was the initial recording triggered as a Sentry Cam event? Possibly there was an issue with the second reason above - their approach/entry was captured under Sentry Mode, but, once they started driving, the vehicle disabled Sentry Mode and switched to Dashcam mode, and maybe there was an error, or, when they stopped at the end of the driveway, the vehicle wasn't in Park, and maybe the Dashcam hadn't initialized, or, had an issue starting...

My car was stolen out of my locked garage at 3:15 am. Sentry mode caught the first 26 seconds of travel which was through the garage door to the end of the driveway There is a 2+ minute gap and then recording picks up for about 20 more minutes. During that gap, the car was at the end of my driveway and one of the three burglers was getting into the car. Police (and I) were hoping to get an ID but didn’t. Does anyone know how or why this gap occurred?

What is the rest of the story? How did you get the USB stick back? How did the evildoers get away with the car? It is really hard to drive off in a Tesla without a key fob or an account password. Once the key fob authenticates, sentry mode shuts off.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
House was broken into, key fob stolen and they blasted through the locked garage door. The USB drive was still in the car which was abandoned about 20 mi from our house. Car was towed by police to the crime impound lot where it was dusted for prints and DNA. No prints but DNA sent to lab. No results yet. I was able to drive it home with a shattered back window. Car’s at repair shop now.
The video was fascinating to watch. Views from all four cameras, could read street signs even saw where they stopped and one guy stuck his hand out the falcon door to take a selfie. There was confusion about how to open/close that door.

Stolen cars is never fun news, and neither is the reliability of Sentry Mode...

There are many reasons that the recording could have stopped:
1 - The car was rebooted during those two minutes
2 - Sentry Mode was turning off while Dash Cam mode was turning on (or the opposite)
3 - There was a system error (e.g. USB reported as too slow - it happens randomly on any type of media)
4 - The occupants were rummaging through the car and possibly unplugged it or caused the USB drive to disconnect and reconnect

and so on...

Unfortunately, there's not one pin point method to say why a recording stopped... In your situation, was the initial recording triggered as a Sentry Cam event? Possibly there was an issue with the second reason above - their approach/entry was captured under Sentry Mode, but, once they started driving, the vehicle disabled Sentry Mode and switched to Dashcam mode, and maybe there was an error, or, when they stopped at the end of the driveway, the vehicle wasn't in Park, and maybe the Dashcam hadn't initialized, or, had an issue starting...

House was broken into, key fob stolen and they blasted through the locked garage door. The USB drive was still in the car which was abandoned about 20 mi from our house. Car was towed by police to the crime impound lot where it was dusted for prints and DNA. No prints but DNA sent to lab. No results yet. I was able to drive it home with a shattered back window. Car’s at repair shop now.
The video was fascinating to watch. Views from all four cameras, could read street signs even saw where they stopped and one guy stuck his hand out the falcon door to take a selfie. There was confusion about how to open/close that door.

All I can say is WOW. That is awful. I hope you recover soon

Reactions: jaimedp1
If yer house is not secure, nothing you own will be either. It's horrible these creeps who invade cannot be stopped. Sorry to hear.....