TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Gap Insurance

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by rodrego66, Aug 7, 2018.

1. rodrego66

rodrego66 Member

Wonder what everyone's thoughts are on gap insurance. Up until this point, we have typically paid cash for cars so we did not need it. We decided to finance our M3 (taking possession Saturday) so we are debating the need for gap. We are financing about $40,000, and plan to pay more than the minimum so just wondering what the value is in doing it.

2. zackmilo

zackmilo 2.2M+ Youtube views on my Model 3

I would. Saved my a$$ when our old X was totaled. Saved about $7k

• Like x 1
  3. NathanielHrnblwr

doesn't it largely depend on being upside down on the loan? i.e. if you financed 100% and car got stolen/wrecked in the first year, you may end up with a loan larger than the value of the car?

If one is financing $40k, you'd never be upside down on the loan.

Maybe I just don't understand GAP?

4. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

So I originally was planning a $45k loan and about $15k down. After decided to take on Gap, I decided to increase my loan to $56k (although should've done 70k and took the P-AWD har har har...) but generally with gap you want as little down as possible to decrease your risk. I got an additional 0.25% discount off my loan by paying the $450 price for gap (1.74%). My plan is still to make the minimal payments until I have the full amount required to pay off the loan in 2-3 years then pay off the entire amount at once.

Basically for the 1st year or 2 there's a high chance that the vehicle is worth more than your loan but by the end of the 2nd or 3rd year they might be more equal and thus limited value in the gap where reducing the interest is your best bet.

5. NathanielHrnblwr

Can you explain the problem with this scenario? If the car is worth more than the loan, the loan gets paid off and you get the rest of the $, no?

6. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

Sorry I meant the reverse! The loan is worth more than your car, which is what gap is suppose to cover.

7. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I bought gap insurance. First time ever that I did. It was only $350.

8. brobinson

brobinson Member

I would check with your insurance company before paying for gap with the lender.

Liberty mutual offers new car replacement and they offer gap coverage that repays a percentage of the cars value if loan amount > vehicle value when totaled. You can run that for a year at like $10/mo and then take it off of the policy.

9. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I can confirm that GEICO doesn't offer gap insurance coverage.

• Informative x 1
  10. rodrego66

rodrego66 Member

Same thing for mine. Ameriprise offered it to me for about $20 for six months versus $400 from the lender.

11. C141medic

C141medic Supporting Member

I have similar from Allstate; however, it’s only for the first 3 years. I also bought GAP insurance ($400) which would continue to cover me after new car replacement ends from Allstate. Imho, $400 is great value if you finance a big portion of the vehicle.

• Like x 1