Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage slope

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the Roadster be fine? :frown:

garage1.jpg
garage2.jpg
garage3.jpg
garage4.jpg
garage5.jpg

I could give you an explanation about gradient calculation, wheelbase and angles; but the easiest thing is get a long plank (or two nailed together) the same length as the car with 6" blocks where the wheels would be and then play with it to see if the car can manage the slope without cracking its nose.

What is that, hard-packed dirt and gravel? At least you can keep working on it to make it more gradual. The plank idea is a good one. Try to give your self a healthy margin if you can.

Yeah. The house is 50 years old, it's not really a design masterpiece. I spent some hours to make the slope a bit more even. The problem is, there is almost no room to make it better, cause there's a big wall right in the way (pic nr. 3).

So I went outside and measured my driveway. It goes 30" vertical for 145" horizontal where it connects to the road. My roadster handles the transition fine, but will bottom out (a little) if I take it too fast. I also often enter the driveway at a bit of an angle which helps.

PIX

Thanks DRM, the pics help. Looks about the same as mine if we talk about steepness. I'm forced to drive slow and get in with an angle, so this will not be the problem. I think it will fit but with a minimal margin to the ground.

in all seriousness how much road do you have on each side of the garage ramp? could you not grate down far enough in front of the garge on the whole roadsurface so then you would have a much gentler slope in and ot of garage and then gentle slopes up on each side. you would have to make sure you had good drainage from the area but that would solve your problem for all future occasions. it's a thought. good luck

I know its the not the ideal solution, but if it is a problem maybe having a couple of boards/ramps available to reduce your grade a little. Put them up before entering/leaving and remove after pulling in/out.

I can't go in straight so I would need curved boards. That would make it only more complicated.

Snow? Sure, it does snow in Italy too. But I don't see a great problem with it. I'll think about it again in november.

Last edited:
Awesome! Congrats. So you didn't need to do anything to the driveway after all? I think you just had too long to think about your driveway I guess=)

If you look at the very first image of this topic you can see the work I've done. Spend some hours and sweat to remove the gravel and even out the terrain. Did some simple math too and used my old car (a Toyota Corolla which didn't hit only by 1-2 inches) to check going in and out. I'm pretty sure it would have hit the ground otherwise, so I'm really satisfied with my hard work.
I didn't get back out of the garage yet, but it should be easier than reversing into it.