TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Garage slope

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Dragon, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

Will the Roadster be fine? :frown:

garage1.jpg garage2.jpg garage3.jpg garage4.jpg garage5.jpg

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I could give you an explanation about gradient calculation, wheelbase and angles; but the easiest thing is get a long plank (or two nailed together) the same length as the car with 6" blocks where the wheels would be and then play with it to see if the car can manage the slope without cracking its nose.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That looks like it'll be close.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

What is that, hard-packed dirt and gravel? At least you can keep working on it to make it more gradual. The plank idea is a good one. Try to give your self a healthy margin if you can.

5. DRM

DRM Roadster #619

#5 DRM, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
    So I went outside and measured my driveway. It goes 30" vertical for 145" horizontal where it connects to the road. My roadster handles the transition fine, but will bottom out (a little) if I take it too fast. I also often enter the driveway at a bit of an angle which helps.

PIX

6. Dragon

Yeah. The house is 50 years old, it's not really a design masterpiece. I spent some hours to make the slope a bit more even. The problem is, there is almost no room to make it better, cause there's a big wall right in the way (pic nr. 3).

7. Dragon

Thanks DRM, the pics help. Looks about the same as mine if we talk about steepness. I'm forced to drive slow and get in with an angle, so this will not be the problem. I think it will fit but with a minimal margin to the ground.

8. tdevince

tdevince Member

I know its the not the ideal solution, but if it is a problem maybe having a couple of boards/ramps available to reduce your grade a little. Put them up before entering/leaving and remove after pulling in/out.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Of course parking on a slope causes all the electrons to roll to the back of the pack, so the estimated range will no longer be accurate.

(trusting you didn't actually believe me...)

10. felixtb

felixtb RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4

in all seriousness how much road do you have on each side of the garage ramp? could you not grate down far enough in front of the garge on the whole roadsurface so then you would have a much gentler slope in and ot of garage and then gentle slopes up on each side. you would have to make sure you had good drainage from the area but that would solve your problem for all future occasions. it's a thought. good luck

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Do you ever get snow there?

12. Dragon

#12 Dragon, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
    I can't go in straight so I would need curved boards. That would make it only more complicated.

Snow? Sure, it does snow in Italy too. But I don't see a great problem with it. I'll think about it again in november.

13. Dragon

No problem. After that I will simpy drive zigzag, accelerate fast and brake hard. So the electrons will distribute evenly.

14. dsm363

This probably isn't possible or if it is, it's probably expensive but can you get some sort of metal grate/ramp to install?

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

After buying the Roadster, I don't think it's time to skimp on the driveway...

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Only 50 years old in Italy? It's a baby!

17. Dragon

Here's the happy ending!
    roadster570_6.jpg

According to my brother the Roadster was never in danger to hit the surface. Great. :)

18. shark2k

shark2k Member

Congratulations Dragon!!! Finally. It took long enough but at least you have it in your possession now!

-Shark2k

19. dsm363

Awesome! Congrats. So you didn't need to do anything to the driveway after all? I think you just had too long to think about your driveway I guess=)

20. Dragon

If you look at the very first image of this topic you can see the work I've done. Spend some hours and sweat to remove the gravel and even out the terrain. Did some simple math too and used my old car (a Toyota Corolla which didn't hit only by 1-2 inches) to check going in and out. I'm pretty sure it would have hit the ground otherwise, so I'm really satisfied with my hard work.
    I didn't get back out of the garage yet, but it should be easier than reversing into it.