Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garo Home Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any experience of Garo chargers? I'm picking up my MS next week and I need to get a charger installed... I have the opportunity of having one of these fitted FoC (long story) but I'd prefer to know other people are using them OK before going ahead. I've had a quote of £280 fitted for a Rolec (using OLEV) or I could buy a Tesla one and get it fitted FoC, so will go with one of these options if nobody knows of Garo.

This is the model I think I'd need to go with

Thanks in advance

I have Rolec (OLEV) at home and work. They both trip periodically (possibly related to wet weather). This may be the vintage of my units of course (2+ years - Tesla unit was not available then) but its very frustrating when it happens in the middle of the night and I then don;t have enough charge ...

Do your Rolecs have the RCBO with the blue toggle? Probably worth replacing if they do (more recent ones have a green toggle). The blue ones seem destined to fail eventually. Rolec can apparently be persuaded to swap for a green one if you argue hard enough that they were not of merchantable quality, though if you value your time then just buying a better one is probably more effective.

I have no knowledge of Garo’s EVSE, but their RCBOs are a popular replacement for failed Rolec ones, so something of a recommendation.

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/dis...ies-1/garo-rcbo1-n-40a-char-c-6ka-type-a.html

I guess you will already have noticed: the Garo unit can charge at 16A on a normal single phase supply = charging at 11 miles per hour. The Tesla HPWC can charge at 32A on a single phase supply (assuming it is connected to a suitably rated cable and breaker) = charging at 22 miles per hour i.e. the Tesla HPWC will be able to charge twice as fast as the Garo unit.

I guess you will already have noticed: the Garo unit can charge at 16A on a normal single phase supply = charging at 11 miles per hour. The Tesla HPWC can charge at 32A on a single phase supply (assuming it is connected to a suitably rated cable and breaker) = charging at 22 miles per hour i.e. the Tesla HPWC will be able to charge twice as fast as the Garo unit.

There are multiple versions - I’d be getting the 32a / 7kw one