Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas savings will sell every truck Tesla can make until 2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beltsbear

Jan 1, 2016
Dc
There are plenty of uses where the CT won't work out. Side loading, long distance towing, people who need kits that require flat bed sides, people who actually need an 8' full length bed. But those are only part of the light duty truck market. The CT is the most popular bed length and cab configuration. For trades people who drive 13k miles a year or more, and can make the CT work, it will be a no brainer due to the gas savings. For most people who can charge at less then 15 cents a kwh, the savings will be $1500 a year. Over eight years that is $10k. With oil change savings and time savings (getting gas and oil changes), the savings could be even higher. Once accountants do the math, small and mid-sized trades companies are going to be switching in mass. That would be carpenters, plumbers, HVAC guys, painters, electricians and landscapers. Sure, not all of them will switch. Some won't like the way a ladder rack is going to look on the CT, but it will be very doable. This is in addition to all of the residential owners who just want the CT. And a new market of people who would normally buy a van, but will go with the CT for medium and small delivery services.

Tesla is going to have 100% of all potential production bought for at least two years if not more. To the point they may need two factories just for the USA.

Tesla needs to setup a Fleet program. Fleets want the best deals they can get. Such as what kind of deal can I get if I purchase more than one vehicle. Same with contractors. They will need a more robust customer service program. They will need to build some trucks with work truck like features. Vinyl seats, vinyl flooring Will the touch screen recognize my inputs if my hand are dirty? Will the screen holdup to hard use. I think Tesla should send a few trucks to Contractors and Fleets. Get inputs on what changes to the Truck should be made and things they would like to see.

Reactions: T3slaDad
This is the best feature of the vehicle..~ $25K in fuel savings over ten years. If you tow this number goes even higher.. (assumes you have solar at home and free charging at work - which is the environment I have today)

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 7.25.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 7.30.55 PM.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    493.8 KB · Views: 51
This is the best feature of the vehicle..~ $25K in fuel savings over ten years. If you tow this number goes even higher.. (assumes you have solar at home and free charging at work - which is the environment I have today)

View attachment 483683
View attachment 483682
Cool stats!
I spend almost 2k in gas in the 3 or 4 months of summer towing my boat and camper every weekend and after work to the lake..

Gas savings will sell every truck Tesla can make until 2024
This mans Tesla will put the “price after gas savings” in bold hiding the price one has to finance to actually get the truck.

‘But in this case, it is terribly significant for a typical truck driver and thus it can’t be ignored.

Those of us replacing a hybrid or 4-cylinder will not be swayed as the truck will cost much more per mile compared to a 3 or a Y.

For every reason that you mention that the Cybertruck won't the use case is probably less than 1%.
The vast majority of Pickup trucks are rarely used as anything but a big car.
Disagree. A vast majority is considered to be around 90%. Considering that 60% are used for work by businesses or self employed handyman that is clearly not true. The remaining 40% are probably only half used for their abilities as a truck. But that does not matter, a significant number of those people will purchase the cybertruck as well.

This mans Tesla will put the “price after gas savings” in bold hiding the price one has to finance to actually get the truck.

‘But in this case, it is terribly significant for a typical truck driver and thus it can’t be ignored.

Those of us replacing a hybrid or 4-cylinder will not be swayed as the truck will cost much more per mile compared to a 3 or a Y.
My thesis is for businesses using trucks. Everyone else is extra and just increases sales and demand.

I'm in 100% agreement with this and have been saying this since the specs were announced! Elon made the perfect all-around contractor truck and nobody even realizes it. My dad is a contractor and I've grown up working with him. This thing solves tons of problems we've regularly run into over the years working on various properties!

I just did some math to help prove the cost efficiency in itself (assuming 20k miles/yr which is about average for my dad's work trucks).

Keep in mind all the numbers (especially the EV ones) are estimates. The pickup truck numbers are relatively on track with the overall costs of the work trucks though based on short conversation.

Attachments

• cybertruck.JPG
    cybertruck.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 60
Tesla should lower the price of their base truck. If I'm purchasing 5 trucks for my Fleet who will give me the best deal. I hope Tesla will. . Of course alot people will purchase the Truck. They need to list the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and the GCWR of each version. I'm thinking that this Truck will weigh around 6000 to 6500 pounds. Also listing the hitch weight rating would help

Disagree. A vast majority is considered to be around 90%. Considering that 60% are used for work by businesses or self employed handyman that is clearly not true. The remaining 40% are probably only half used for their abilities as a truck. But that does not matter, a significant number of those people will purchase the cybertruck as well.

It might be 60% in DC, but not the rest of the country. Just about every pickup on the road around here (and definitely in Texas) is a personal only vehicle.
Think of it this way, are you suggesting that the #1 sold vehicle is sold for businesses? No way.

Tesla should lower the price of their base truck. If I'm purchasing 5 trucks for my Fleet who will give me the best deal. I hope Tesla will. . Of course alot people will purchase the Truck. They need to list the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and the GCWR of each version. I'm thinking that this Truck will weigh around 6000 to 6500 pounds. Also listing the hitch weight rating would help

Publishing the weights before the truck is finalized would be lunacy, too many people bitching that it isn't what's promised. There's a lot of work to be done to get all the number finalized, be patient.

There are already a number of Teslas in fleets, shouldn't be any different with the truck. But fleets wanting the cheapest price aren't the buyers of new models, you need a track record first.

As with the cars, commercial buyers often look to the cost of operating a vehicle, not just the initial cost of the vehicle. If the initial cost, maintenance, fuel, and any offsets by not having to but a generator all add up to be less than the comparable price of other vehicles, that's when they start getting bought by fleets.

Tesla needs to setup a Fleet program. Fleets want the best deals they can get. Such as what kind of deal can I get if I purchase more than one vehicle. Same with contractors.

They do have a fleet/corporate program. Most people just don't hear much about it since they don't have a fleet or work with someone who does: Enterprise Sales | Tesla

Fleet buyers can get deals, priority deliveries, etc.

Fleet "deals"? Sure, it's a tax write off as a business expense, subsidized by We the People.

OPEC announced yesterday it's going to strangle oil production, popping gas prices up through the roof again.

Good luck everyone!