Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gateway solar reporting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the call to /meters/aggregate for the "instant_power" value for the "solar" meter always return a positive value?

My solar CT is located on the feed from the solar combiner panel. As such, when there is no solar production, there is actually a small power draw from the solar side (the micro inverter idle power draw plus the management node). So, at night I'm seeing the solar report a value of around 80 and not -80, like I'd expect.

energy_imported is showing a small positive value so it looks like things are being measured correctly overall but maybe not just displayed properly for that value?

Does the call to /meters/aggregate for the "instant_power" value for the "solar" meter always return a positive value?

My solar CT is located on the feed from the solar combiner panel. As such, when there is no solar production, there is actually a small power draw from the solar side (the micro inverter idle power draw plus the management node). So, at night I'm seeing the solar report a value of around 80 and not -80, like I'd expect.

energy_imported is showing a small positive value so it looks like things are being measured correctly overall but maybe not just displayed properly for that value?
I have a solar roof that has a Delta inverter on it. It's also on a load circuit. So Tesla actually installed 2 CT's, one on the solar feed and one on the load feed. At first I only had the load CT and it would show in the app as some strange behavior when the solar was producing.

Anyway Tesla put both CTs in and I am not sure what else they did but it seems magical now. And I never see the negative loads like I did before when solar was producing.

Now to your question: I see about a -40 Watt instant_power on the Solar section when there is no solar being produced. I assume that is my Delta inverter but there also is a few Watts going to the little Tesla box and some light switches.

If I turn on some lights on that circuit then I see each load show up in the instant_power field.

So it appears that the raw load (positive or negative) shows up in that field, but the Tesla back end seems to know what to do about it. For my example the load shows up in my house consumption but not as negative solar. What witch craft Tesla uses in my case I have no idea.

Reactions: gati2
Yeah, I believe there is a separate load CT in addition to the solar CT.

Thanks for confirming that you're seeing negative values. I'll keep digging to see why I'm not seeing negative values.