Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Gearbox fluid recommended" warning

Have you seen the "Gearbox fluid recommended" warning on your screen?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since so many people are getting this error around the same time, doubt it’s Anything real. Probably should wait it out instead of taking it in for mechanic to screw up something that was fine before.
Agreed. I made a service appointment 2 days ago, then a software update downloaded yesterday (even though I’m on a road trip with no Wifi). Could be a coincidence but so far the error hasn't re-appeared.

Took mine in for service. They checked things over, no leaks noted, changed a pump, replaced gearbox oil, and unfortunately the alert came back after 250km of highway driving. Parked the car for 5 min, the alert went away but returned about 50km later. For me, the alert seems to only appear after highway driving.
How frustrating. I also had the warning appear after about an hour on the highway. (I drive a long-range M3, delivered in December.) It has not appeared again, but I have not been on the highway for more than a short while since then. Please let us know what Tesla suggests next for you.

We just got the gearbox oil warning yesterday... Long highway drive in cold weather -15 celsius. MX new in Dec 2019... Only 2500 km. I read another post from someone also saying they got the warning after a long cold highway drive -20 celsius. We'll see if it's still there for the drive home tomorrow... It's supposed to warm up a bit. I'll report back.

Well, my warning message that appeared while driving long distances in the cold (around freezing) has disappeared since last week.

Since then, I've been driving mostly short distances around town, but over the weekend went out of town on a ~100-mile drive each way, and the message never appeared again. Ambient temps were 10-12ºC (50-54ºF for the metrically-challenged).

I've gone ahead and cancelled my service appointment for now; let's see if the error comes back next time I go skiing. It seems to be correlated with driving on the highway (or long distances?) in the cold, but I'm curious as to how/when others have experienced it.

My Model X says “gearbox fluid service recommended” on the first day I got the car and only got message when driving highway speed. I lives in Minot, 8 hours away from service center. They towed my car to get it fix and did not tell me in advance that they are not bringing back to me. Needless to say I spend a lot of Money and 3 days of driving to get it back home. When I picked up my vehicle and drove for about 30 mins, the warning light turned back on, it was not fixed. On top of that I spund out and got stuck in the snow and needs to be pulled out.

Attachments

• D8111ABA-725F-46E7-9E9B-D7F8023D1A26.jpeg
    D8111ABA-725F-46E7-9E9B-D7F8023D1A26.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 119
My Model X says “gearbox fluid service recommended” on the first day I got the car and only got message when driving highway speed. I lives in Minot, 8 hours away from service center. They towed my car to get it fix and did not tell me in advance that they are not bringing back to me. Needless to say I spend a lot of Money and 3 days of driving to get it back home. When I picked up my vehicle and drove for about 30 mins, the warning light turned back on, it was not fixed. On top of that I spund out and got stuck in the snow and needs to be pulled out.

Sorry to hear, sounds like it's been a big pain for you.
Apologies for my geographical ignorance, but where is Minot located?
Or a better question would be: how cold was it when you got the warning messages?

That’s surprising, it even says “ok to drive” next to the warning.

This is cropping up more on the Facebook group I follow. All instances seem to be newer cars (2020) combined with highway driving and/or temperatures well below freezing.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Even though I have an early-2019 Model 3, I also received the warning messages a few times while it was pretty cold outside and during highway driving, so consistent with the reports.

2020 Model 3 AWD, long range Started first road trip with just under 2000 miles. Pretty much all turnpike/Interstate driving. Cool day approx 75 F (FLORIDA). Got the gearbox message about 300 miles into 400 mile trip. Under 80 mph the whole way. Message stayed on screen until we parked to charge. Next morning message was gone. Didn’t reappear until return trip. Interstate and it was raining. Not cold. It went off when we made a quick stop and haven’t seen it since. Waiting for appointment. They said it would take about 2 hours but they would have a better estimate when we drop it off.