Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Battery Died!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would seriously consider the possibility that this Tesla service center is looking at you as Mr./Ms. Moneybags that they are going to take to the cleaners. They have you where they want you. Your car is hundreds or thousands of miles away from home, and like Ben Kenobi, they're your only hope in your dire hour of need.

If you decide to transport the car home, then that is your right. It's not like they can hold your car hostage. Make them cite a law. Maybe after you book a transporter for your car home, they will realize they have lost out on this job and suddenly discover a much cheaper fix (like replacing the 12V battery lol).
Tesla SCs aren't profit generators like dealerships. They just follow whatever is in the book and they typically are swamped with work just from handling regular warranty work, so they may not dedicate much time to diagnosing the problem in depth.

Perhaps I'm being untrusting or pessimistic like @zoomer0056 said, but once again this just doesn't ring true. I've dealt with service numerous times and spend a fairly large amount of time on these forums - it's very rare to talk to anyone over the phone at the service centers. Almost all communication happens via the app.

Even if your story about waiting for battery pricing checks out, you could still post your messages from the app... if your car is in service, then you have an open case in the service portion of the app.

Also, when I brought my car in for service recently, as soon as I pulled into their parking lot, my car was within their geofence... they switched it to service mode shortly thereafter without even being in the car and I could no longer see the same information in the app - so how is it even possible that you could know they were driving your car around the parking lot?

Once again... I've driven my Model 3 for almost 3 years and 50k miles. I'm having a hard time believing that anyone who's had one for 5 years and 132k miles (you) would make this statement.

Your post reminds me of a recent EV hit piece I read from The Federalist where they rented a Model 3 for a road trip and had very little good to say.

I'm just saying... if everything you've stated is true, you've got a strange way of representing it... because there are a lot of parts of your story that just don't ring true.

Maybe I'm totally wrong though. You could easily prove it by posting screenshots of your messages through the app.
Look it is ok if you do not believe me. My whole point of posting this story was to warn people about driving your Tesla outside of the battery warranty. I personally - perhaps naively didn't think anything would happen to the battery till 200K or more based off of what the sales ppl told me when I bought the car. In hindsight I should have looked into it more and it caught me off guard when it failed. I still love the car and will be very sad to part from it if that is what ends up happening :(

lol good call ! Yes I think for now I'll stay away from EVs on a cross country especially while traveling with a dog! Thanks
That makes sense to me. With all considered, you must limit risk as much as possible. It's a new age we're in with unknowns being discovered. ICE has a proven track record whereas EVs don't. In my situation, I'll never go back to the ICE ages. With that said, I plan on selling my 2022 MSLR after five years to get the latest tech and a new battery. At five years it will have enough value to sell. One cannot efficiently keep an EV as long as one could keep an ICE vehicle. Times are changed.

Reactions: EVcommuter
If the car starts to smoke/burn while driving, you can stop and run out and let it burn. I am sure they are driving around in isolated empty lot. If it burns on a flatbed, the truck driver may not notice and it will spread to driver. That is my take. Hey, if the car burns down while they are test driving, you probably can go through insurance. I would prefer that LOL.
That was the weird part - they were driving it around their own packed Tesla parking lot. Twice they drove it to one of the chargers in the lot and the other 3 times, just changed parking spots. Also the car was not in service mode. I wonder if they were looking up the codes based off of the pictures of the codes I sent to them. I don't think they took it into their service bay or atleast I never saw it go there. They only put it into service mode after I floated the idea to them that I might get it shipped out to me instead of getting it fixed. So let's see what happens. Once I get the estimate, I am going to ask them - if they will trade it in as is and I get a new Tesla and not have to fix it. Not sure if that will be a possibility.

Look it is ok if you do not believe me. My whole point of posting this story was to warn people about driving your Tesla outside of the battery warranty. I personally - perhaps naively didn't think anything would happen to the battery till 200K or more based off of what the sales ppl told me when I bought the car. In hindsight I should have looked into it more and it caught me off guard when it failed. I still love the car and will be very sad to part from it if that is what ends up happening :(
I do believe that you are posting this to strike angst in the hearts of owners-and I understand why you won't post invoice copies. Though I don't really understand some other points.

It might help us all out if you can tell us what Tesla Service Center you are dealing with-you were on a road trip from east to west but you live in Las Vegas.

Reactions: father_of_6
understand why you won't post invoice copies. Though I don't really understand some other points.

Many, many posts on these forums contain screenshots of invoices and app messages... it's very easy to crop out personal information.

The unwillingness to provide any of that just further fuels my distrust for this thread.

Many, many posts on these forums contain screenshots of invoices and app messages... it's very easy to crop out personal information.

The unwillingness to provide any of that just further fuels my distrust for this thread.
I just assumed this thread was legit, but now I see that the OP joined five years ago and this is the only thread they've posted in. So maybe time to post a few invoices/messages...

Also, when I brought my car in for service recently, as soon as I pulled into their parking lot, my car was within their geofence... they switched it to service mode shortly thereafter without even being in the car and I could no longer see the same information in the app - so how is it even possible that you could know they were driving your car around the parking lot?
This is true, when your car is in service it is switched to service mode and what you can see is limited. Mine is currently there.

IMG_6673.jpeg

I just assumed this thread was legit, but now I see that the OP joined five years ago and this is the only thread they've posted in. So maybe time to post a few invoices/messages...
That doesn't necessarily mean what you're eluding to. Many post to voice legitimate disappointment. Just read all the pages of FSD/b. OP is passing on his story for your education. True or not, the moral driven home by this story is to be aware of warranties.

Reactions: EVcommuter

That on its own doesnt mean that much. Just because someone joined a while ago but isnt super active here, it doesnt automatically mean there is anything going on with their post when they come back.

its pretty common for people to jump on line and rant when something goes wrong, so that part is pretty normal.

As already pointed out, though, there are a few other things that have been posted that seem a bit.... lets say, "unusual". Tesla doesnt have to "source" a battery to give a price. They might have to wait for one to come in to perform the work (for example).

Talking about "tow the car away at night so tesla doesnt scare them away" sounds pretty overly dramatic, and simply isnt a thing unless the OP is trying to insinuate that they are trying to take their car back without paying for any diagnostic work.

There are a couple other things but I will likely be accused of piling on or something if I point them out.

The OP could go a long way in confirming this stuff by taking a screenshot of their tesla quote for service, showing the battery quote, along with the date (with their personal information blacked out).

Reactions: Park2670
Folks - I feel that the post replies have gotten a bit out of hand. I was merely posting about my experience to fellow Tesla owners and making them more aware of the battery warranty because of what occurred with me since I personally never paid much attention to it...well until it happened to me. I never posted a dramatic YouTube video or contacted the press - this was an internal convo within the Tesla Forum. For the ones that don't believe me or doubt the details of my story, it's ok & you do not have to believe it. For the ones that sympathized with my situation and/or offered advice, I am very thankful. Good night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.