Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gemini Tire replacement - anything better than OEM? (all season)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Better wet road traction - Vredestein Quatrac Pro (less expensive than Michelin, Continental and Pirelli too)
Better on snow - Michelin Pilot Sport All Season (AS) 4
Better still on snow - Michelin CrossClimate 2
Better price - Goodyear Electric Drive GT (when purchased using the USAA 30% discount)

• Helpful
Reactions: wtlloyd and GOVA
Better wet road traction - Vredestein Quatrac Pro (less expensive than Michelin, Continental and Pirelli too)
Better price - Goodyear Electric Drive GT (when purchased using the USAA 30% discount)
Thanks. Anything better in noise characteristics?

Thanks. Anything better in noise characteristics?
Tire noise can vary with road surface construction, i.e. asphalt, concrete, etc.) Tires with sound treatment, i.e. a layer of sound absorbing foam insert glued to the inside of the tire) can be a couple of db quieter (the foam dampens the resonant noise within the tire.) The OE Continental Procontact RX tires have foam inserts as do the other OE tires that Tesla uses on its vehicles. The Goodyear Electric Drive GT also has foam sound treatment, Michelin Pilot Sport EV tire has the foam too.

For the 2023 Tesla Model Y sold in the US Tesla is currently equipping the Model Y with Pirelli Scorpion MS all season tires. (I have not read any reports on how well the Scorpion MS tire performs in wet, snow and the noise level. Pirelli sells many different versions of the Scorpion tire. The Pirelli Scorpion MS 255/45R19 104V ELECT PNCS tire is now the OE tire on the Tesla Model Y when equipped with the 19" Gemini wheels. This Pirelli tire has the foam sound treatment.

It is not possible with today's tire technology (rubber compounds, tire construction) to build a tire that excels at everything you would want from the ideal tire. Improving one tire performance parameter will impact other areas of tire performance. For example, the Vredestein Quatrac Pro performs extremely well in wet weather driving, just OK in light snow (but much better than the OE Continental Procontact RX). The Quatrac Pro tire does not have the foam insert. Efficiency of the Quatrac Pro has been shown to be 4% to 5% less efficient (higher Wh/mile) that the OE Continental Procontact RX. That might be an acceptable trade off as the wet road traction of the Quatrac Pro tire is exceptional.

Tire noise is also subjective as everyone's hearing sensitivity to different sound frequencies can vary. The foam sound treatment can make it more difficult to repair the tire. Some tire centers refuse to repair tires that have the foam. Sometimes the foam insert can separate from the inside of the tire. This will immediately cause an extreme unbalanced tire condition that you would probably notice right away when driving.

Last edited:
You'd have to have exceptional hearing to differentiate between some of these tires available on the market these days. Personally I think foam / nitrogen inside the tires is a marketing ploy reeling the customer in!
Road surfaces change very often and quickly.
One's hearing is different to another.
Speed of vehicle.
Tire pressure incorrect.

For me, as long as the tire wall load factor is correct for the vehicle, the rest is very very subjective:
Looks
longevity
road holding
cost

Anything will do.

I don't believe any of these will be better at efficiency. You have to identify your priority. I like the Pilot Sports for my MYP and the CC2s for my wife's MYLR. I also like this website that discusses these choices ad naseum. 🤪

Tire sales are a nightmare.
If you did absolutely nothing and sat back and did as you were told, replacement tires would cost a small fortune. You'd end up with Tesla recommended OEM tires at > $300 a piece. If you experienced a flat and left it to be towed to a SC where they changed it for a new tire - it would be >$300+.

Cut through the crap -
decide what you want from the tyre as described above, make absolutely that the tyre wall reinforcement complies with Teslas spec (96 or 98 W or Y loading) and the rest is simply down to your own choice.

Here in the UK, that decision making process opens up the market from between $80 and $400 per tyre!!!

We'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of the OEM (Procontact) tires on our 2022 MYLR. The rear tires seem to be wearing at twice the rate of the front tires. Not too surprising since 56% of the total weight (4400 lbs) are on the rear tires and regenerative braking occurs with the rear motor. When replacement time comes, tread wear rating will be #1 priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: pepperoni
We'll be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of the OEM (Procontact) tires on our 2022 MYLR. The rear tires seem to be wearing at twice the rate of the front tires. Not too surprising since 56% of the total weight (4400 lbs) are on the rear tires and regenerative braking occurs with the rear motor. When replacement time comes, tread wear rating will be #1 priority.
#1 priority? Really? You can get some really crappy tires with a long tread life. I'd rather spend a few extra hundred bucks on tires with great handling.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eto Demerzel
Is there an any sort of consensus regarding better options than OEM Contis for 19" Gemini wheels?
I am looking for all season options to go with.
Be aware that the OEM Conti is not the same as the aftermarket Conti.
Although branded and named the same, the OEM tire is designed for a price point for Tesla and the aftermarket of the same name is better.
Softer riding, better sounding, and equivalent efficiency.

I had an opportunity to run an aftermarket set on my MYLR several weeks ago (wheels were in for powdercoat) and thought it had to be an upmarket tire.
Nope, same product label as the OEM.
Go Figure.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
Those have 50k and 70k treadlife warranties. If it's your #1 priority, you should go with BRIDGESTONE TURANZA QUIETTRACK with an 80k warranty.
The Turanza Quiettrack has a tread wear rating of 800, but Consumer Surveys on Tirerack.com show a wear rating of 7.9, which is good but not great. Wear ratings are established by the tire manufacturer and there is no NHTSA or third-party verification of the results. They can say whatever they want.

If the customer claims that the tire wear is excessive the manufacturer will often pro-rate the tire warranty. They will offer 50% off your next set of (same brand) tires. They keep a customer, and don't lose money overall.