Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 2 mobile connector max charging power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I’m looking at installing a charging circuit at my cabin. I have the Gen 2 charging cable that came with my MY, but looking at the description for it on the Tesla web site, it says “Max power output of 1.3kW.” Is this just referring to the available power with the included 5-15 adapter? I can’t find any other documentation, but it would be pointless to sell 30A plugs if it can only handle 1.3 kW

See table here for changing rates on various cars and power levels

I’m looking at installing a charging circuit at my cabin. I have the Gen 2 charging cable that came with my MY, but looking at the description for it on the Tesla web site, it says “Max power output of 1.3kW.” Is this just referring to the available power with the included 5-15 adapter? I can’t find any other documentation, but it would be pointless to sell 30A plugs if it can only handle 1.3 kW
The maximum power output of the Gen2 Mobile Connector (when fitted with either the optional NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 power plug adapter) is 7.7kW (240V/32A). When used with the NEMA 14-30 power plug or the older 10-30 power plug (these are commonly known as dryer plugs) the maximum power output is automatically set to 5.8kW (240V/24A.)

Here is the link to Owner's Manual for the Gen2 Mobile Connector: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

Tesla sells a Cable Organizer for permanent installation and use of the Gen3 Mobile Connector: Cable Organizer
Notice the Mobile Connector chassis mount in photos #2, 3 and 4. This is ensure that the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis and the charging cord is not pulling on the power plug adapter or receptacle. You can find similar cable organizer kits on Amazon or make your own. For regular use it is important to not let the Mobile Connector chassis hang supported by just the power plug adapter.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
See table here for changing rates on various cars and power levels

The maximum power output of the Gen2 Mobile Connector (when fitted with either the optional NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 power plug adapter) is 7.7kW (240V/32A). When used with the NEMA 14-30 power plug or the older 10-30 power plug (these are commonly known as dryer plugs) the maximum power output is automatically set to 5.8kW (240V/24A.)

Here is the link to Owner's Manual for the Gen2 Mobile Connector: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...bile_connector_owners_manual_32_amp_en_US.pdf

Tesla sells a Cable Organizer for permanent installation and use of the Gen3 Mobile Connector: Cable Organizer
Notice the Mobile Connector chassis mount in photos #2, 3 and 4. This is ensure that the weight of the Mobile Connector chassis and the charging cord is not pulling on the power plug adapter or receptacle. You can find similar cable organizer kits on Amazon or make your own. For regular use it is important to not let the Mobile Connector chassis hang supported by just the power plug adapter.
@Zoomit - I saw that table and assumed that using the respective connectors would give the rated power but wanted to confirm.

@jcanoe - Thanks! The manual was exactly what I was looking for. As I said, I assumed it would handle more than 1.3kW, but I’m happier to have the manual confirm it. It would have been clearer if the web page for the connector said “max power 1.3kW with the included connector.“ or “max power 7.7 kW depending on connector”