Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall connector plug to car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gen 3 wall connector plug to car has plastic pin inside one of the connectors that broke off so the charging cable won't connect to the car. I can charge at a supercharger with their plug. Have tried to contact Tesla service via roadside assistance and they hung up; via text to service through app and got message back to call - Pacific time only so I guess we only can get service M-F during Pacific time work hours - seems to be a problem for a car company - I do drive at other times! The wall connector is under warranty and I have been asking if I can get a new plug, a new cable, or if I need the whole wall unit. Can't seem to get an answer - getting run around as to who deals with this. I have been using this unit and plug for 2 1/2 years. Seems like such an essential part shouldn't be cheap plastic! Anyone else had this issue?

It should be covered under the 4 year (48 month) limited warranty (for personal use, else 12 months for commercial use) for the Gen3 Wall Connector.

I would first open a service request in the Tesla App. Provide a photo of the broken insulator on the Tesla charging connector with the service ticket. If that does not get a response, there is always Warranty Dispute Resultion (see below.)

Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector Installation Manual (See Page 42):

Wall Connector Installation Manual

Warranty Information
Dispute Resolution

Tesla, Inc
3500 Deer Creek Road
Palo Alto, California
Attention: Charging Equipment Warranty Claims
Phone number: 1-877-79-TESLA (1-877-798-3752)

What usually happens is the plastic part surrounding the pin breaks off of the car inlet and gets stuck in the plug. Usually that plug will keep working in that car, but not in other cars, but I could see how depending on the shape of the broken part, you could end up with a plug that won't plug into any car. If you can fish the broken piece out of the plug, that will probably get things working again. However, the inlet is still broken, and should be repaired.

Getting it out can be a challenge. People have used superglue on the end of a stick, a heated pin stuck into the plastic, and violent shaking to get the broken piece out. Sometimes none of those work.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H