Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 wall connector will not connect to wi-fi, how do I make sure the current is set correctly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I am sorry in advance if I sound confused and clueless but I have hit a brick wall trying to connect my Gen 3 to wi-fi since the electrician installed the wall connector yesterday. My phone recognizes the wall connector but I am unable to enter a password for my home wi-fi to connect the wi-fi to complete the set up. I get "unable to connect" error messages My wi-fi is set to 2.4 GHz. I called my Tesla "advisor" (have had this car for less than 2 weeks) and she told me to go ahead and charge the car and try again the next day. I am happy to know the charger works fine but my main concern is that I am unable to check that the current is set to 50 amps? This is what the electrician relayed to me and I am not sure if that is an issue. The Tesla rep said that it is no big deal if the wall charger is not on wi-fi if the car is connected to wi-fi which it is but didn't mention the current setting.
I apologize if this question has been asked/answered before. I see similar questions but not the exact one I am struggling with. I am not a tech person but I already love this car and saved years for it to buy after I retired. You're only old once!

When you charge the car, the main screen should show the current being consumed by the car at that moment and the maximum current that can be used. This is displayed as "5/32 A in the example below:

charge_screen.jpg

What does your car show when charging (specifically the second number)?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Check the link below for details on troubleshooting the wall connector.
First, make sure you can connect to the setup page after connecting to the WiFi network broadcast by the connector itself. I would follow the instructions from the troubleshooting page to do a manual update of the firmware to the most current version, which you can download from Tesla. After that, try connecting to the main setup page again and set your circuit amperage and connect it to your home WiFi. Be aware: the wall connector will not connect to your home WiFi if you have WPA3 security enabled. You have two choices; you could turn your authentication security level down to WPA2, which is slightly risky but hardly a problem, or you could leave WPA3 enabled on your main SSID, then broadcast a second SSID just for things like this that only has WPA2.

Wall Connector Troubleshooting

You can also check the current setting by holding the charger handle button down for several seconds. The manual will tell you the decode, but IIRC if all the lights are on, its set to a 60 amp breaker, and all but one on is a 50 amp breaker, and so on down the line.

• Helpful
My phone recognizes the wall connector but I am unable to enter a password for my home wi-fi to connect the wi-fi to complete the set up. I get "unable to connect" error messages
I think you might be misunderstanding the instructions. Your home wi-fi password is not needed until you've truly connected and begun the provisioning of the HPWC. You need to follow the instructions on Page 22 of the instructions..."Commissioning procedure". It sounds like you are entering your home wifi password instead of the password for the wifi hosted by the HPWC. That password can be found either on the quickstart guide or the left side of the HPWC, or on a sticker >inside< the HPWC(on the back side of the head unit)

Additionally, page 26 has the mapping from "lights shown on startup" to circuit breaker setting.

• Informative
I think you might be misunderstanding the instructions. Your home wi-fi password is not needed until you've truly connected and begun the provisioning of the HPWC. You need to follow the instructions on Page 22 of the instructions..."Commissioning procedure". It sounds like you are entering your home wifi password instead of the password for the wifi hosted by the HPWC. That password can be found either on the quickstart guide or the left side of the HPWC, or on a sticker >inside< the HPWC(on the back side of the head unit)

Additionally, page 26 has the mapping from "lights shown on startup" to circuit breaker setting.
No, I know I have to enter the wi-fi passwork on the quick start guide that came with it. I have tried manually and have tried to scan and just receive a "unable to join this network" I have never been able to enter the passwork although I have tried an excess # of times. What is see on my phone is confusing now though, this is what I see. A green check mark, I wonder if thal means it is connected. Thank you your reply,like I said this car was a dream of mine for at least a decade and I want to make sure I am doing things correctly
IMG_2567.PNG

Your picture shows 0/48A means it can draw a maximum of 48 Amperes from this Wall Connector which is close enough to 50A that you want.
@cathyn518 You should ensure that the breaker in your electrical panel is 60A and that all of the wiring for the wall connector (WC) is at least 6 AWG (4 is better; wire gauge is thicker the smaller the number). Those details should be on the work order / invoice that your electrician gave you. If not, call and ask him/her.

As far as you getting 50A, that's not really going to happen. Your car, which I'm assuming is a Long Range version, will only allow a maximum of 48A for Level 2 charging. The maximum amps that the Gen 3 WC can be set to is 48A. Your electrician may have "rounded up" to 50A or was not aware of the limits imposed by both the car and the WC.

No, I know I have to enter the wi-fi passwork on the quick start guide that came with it. I have tried manually and have tried to scan and just receive a "unable to join this network" I have never been able to enter the passwork although I have tried an excess # of times. What is see on my phone is confusing now though, this is what I see. A green check mark, I wonder if thal means it is connected. Thank you your reply,like I said this car was a dream of mine for at least a decade and I want to make sure I am doing things correctly
No, I know I have to enter the wi-fi passwork on the quick start guide that came with it. I have tried manually and have tried to scan and just receive a "unable to join this network" I have never been able to enter the passwork although I have tried an excess # of times. What is see on my phone is confusing now though, this is what I see. A green check mark, I wonder if thal means it is connected. Thank you your reply,like I said this car was a dream of mine for at least a decade and I want to make sure I am doing things correctlyView attachment 719149

After connecting to the Tesla Wall Charger, can you open your Safari browser and go to 192.168.62.1 ? There are two important setting there: the ability to tell the Wall Charger to connect to your home Wifi (SSID/password) to get firmware updates. Second is to specify the circuit breaker your wallcharger is connected to: in your case Country USA and Amperes = 50A. You should see the prompt Max charging - 40A (80% rated of the circuit breaker).

Try setting your phone to airplane mode, then enable wifi only. I can see the bars for your active/connected cellular network on your screenshot, and its probably screwing up connectivity to the HPWC.

• Helpful
@cathyn518 You should ensure that the breaker in your electrical panel is 60A and that all of the wiring for the wall connector (WC) is at least 6 AWG (4 is better; wire gauge is thicker the smaller the number). Those details should be on the work order / invoice that your electrician gave you. If not, call and ask him/her.

As far as you getting 50A, that's not really going to happen. Your car, which I'm assuming is a Long Range version, will only allow a maximum of 48A for Level 2 charging. The maximum amps that the Gen 3 WC can be set to is 48A. Your electrician may have "rounded up" to 50A or was not aware of the limits imposed by both the car and the WC.
ok, thanks so much, yes it is a Long Range.

Try setting your phone to airplane mode, then enable wifi only. I can see the bars for your active/connected cellular network on your screenshot, and its probably screwing up connectivity to the HPWC.
Have not tired airplane mode yet but did turn off cellular, I will try again with airplane mode
If that's on a 50 amp breaker, its in danger of tripping the breaker. The report should be x/40A for a 50 amp breaker.

That is my concern, is the amp not set right as the electrician told me it needed to be set to 50. All green lights light when I hold button down. I will restart my phone, trip the breaker on/off and put my watch on airplane too. I I put my phone on airplane when I was called in for jury duty 3 days after getting this car. When leaving, phone key would not work and forgot to check airplane mode. Stupidly I did not remember it was on! I also had key card with me and did not remember that either until I was on the phone with Tesla. They have to love my calls. Anyway, I appreciate all of you on this forum. I am going to keep trying now with airplane mode. Driving to Vermont tomorrow to see the changing leaves. Say hello to heaven!

That is my concern, is the amp not set right as the electrician told me it needed to be set to 50.
This is still not clear and has been asked but unanswered a couple of times in this thread. Is the BREAKER a 50A or 60A??

The number 50 keeps getting thrown around, but it has been vague if that is referring to the charging amps or the circuit rating. Those two things will be different values, and we haven't been able to figure out yet which one you are referring to.

The charging current of the car will be 80% of the amp rating of the circuit. So with your system showing 48A available right now, that is configured for a 60A circuit. I am guessing that is not correct. It sounds like maybe your breaker is 50, so the wall connector needs to be configured to only send 40A to the car.

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93 and miimura
Hi,
I am sorry in advance if I sound confused and clueless but I have hit a brick wall trying to connect my Gen 3 to wi-fi since the electrician installed the wall connector yesterday. My phone recognizes the wall connector but I am unable to enter a password for my home wi-fi to connect the wi-fi to complete the set up. I get "unable to connect" error messages My wi-fi is set to 2.4 GHz. I called my Tesla "advisor" (have had this car for less than 2 weeks) and she told me to go ahead and charge the car and try again the next day. I am happy to know the charger works fine but my main concern is that I am unable to check that the current is set to 50 amps? This is what the electrician relayed to me and I am not sure if that is an issue. The Tesla rep said that it is no big deal if the wall charger is not on wi-fi if the car is connected to wi-fi which it is but didn't mention the current setting.
I apologize if this question has been asked/answered before. I see similar questions but not the exact one I am struggling with. I am not a tech person but I already love this car and saved years for it to buy after I retired. You're only old once!
I had the same issue. I did a full reboot of my internet hud/router and it connected to wifi one the modem came back up

I'm a new member and this is my first post.

I have a Model 3 on order for January delivery and I have just installed a Gen 3 Wall Connector. In an Android device's WiFi Settings I found the SSID and entered the password, It replied "Connected with no Internet access".

Then I tried to commission the Wall Connector by loading 192.168.92.1 in Chrome on an Android device. 192.168.92.1 never loaded. I get this same result on two Android devices.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

A question still remains: I have a 50 breaker (#6 wire). The charger seems to default to 60 amps with apparently no way to change that? To address this I limit the charging output to 40 amps. Is it true that I can't change the INPUT amps from the default of 60 down to 50 (i.e. 4 bars)?

A question still remains: I have a 50 breaker (#6 wire). The charger seems to default to 60 amps with apparently no way to change that? To address this I limit the charging output to 40 amps. Is it true that I can't change the INPUT amps from the default of 60 down to 50 (i.e. 4 bars)?
That is not correct. You log into the SSID broadcast from the wall connector, and configure the wall connector for a 50A circuit...
It's all covered in the manual that comes with it...