Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III - summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The shell of the building is easy. It's the equipment inside that takes time and money. Hopefully they can parallelize the process, having equipment manufactured offsite while the building is under construction, then trucking (or railroading) the equipment in when it's ready. The timing of this kind of thing is a challenge too. You don't want to spend money on equipment too soon and have that capital laying around not generating a return. Or, for those of us who own TSLA, WE don't want to have OUR capital laying around!

On the timing of Gen 3:

Model S prototype unveiling was Q1 2009, first deliveries Q4 2012, call it 3.5 years.

Model X prototype unveiling was Q1 2012, first deliveries Q1 2015? A little less than 3 years, and Model X was "easy" because it's based on the Model S architecture.

Gen 3 prototype unveiling Q1 2015? 3 years puts us in 2018. Sure, Tesla learns a lot from each project and hopefully can get faster. But they also need time for the battery cost to come down so that they can hit total vehicle cost target.

We might see development mules on the road in 2016 but I really don't expect customer deliveries before 2017.

I remember Elon stating that his estimate for a mass-market car was 3 years from now, which would be middle of 2017. My rough guess had been middle of 2018, a year later, so I'd be happy with a 2017 launch.

I didn't expect the Model X to be delayed so much, because of the platform sharing with the Model S. However, I think the falcon-wing doors on the Model X presented a lot of unexpected engineering challenges. My guess is that had Tesla gone with conventional doors, Model X could have gone into production sooner.

I'm sticking to my June 2018 prediction for the Tesla G3. In the meantime, I don't think Tesla will have any trouble selling all the Model S and X it can build.

the best and most effect way to build said giga factory is with tilt up walls. the reason behind this is most of the walls can be pre-made and trucked in. the whole building of this should be about 6 months IF they are running day and night. but with that said it put pressure on the equipment builder to speed up there production as well. I suspect that when its finished it will be sooner rather than later. hell from what i have heard in the construction business they give time bonuses for getting it done faster. keep in mind that an inspector has to make sure its done correctly. I believe they can get the solar panels, wind farm and construction done all at the same time. its just how many people you want to throw at it.

Probably not going to build a plant that way.
Yes, smaller concrete panels can be fabricated en-mass off-site and then erected, attached to some sort of structure.
Large concrete panels are typically structural and poured on-site (not trucked in -- just too large to fit on the trailer), and then tilted up, and attached to the rest of the structure.

In fact, I would not be surprised to see the Giga-building trying for some sort of LEED building certification, maybe even Silver or Gold.
Because it will likely be in a more rural setting, LEED Gold would be harder to achieve.

Concerning favo wrote (Page 13) - Two smaller motors may be more efficient and allow better handling.
WARPED ONE then posted
No and no.

One bigger electric motor is always more efficient at given output power than two smaller ones. Reason for this is that electric losses scale with square of electric current and power scales linearly with current.

AWD would only be better than FWD/RWD in extremely slippery conditions where two driving wheels don't have enough traction to move the car. When there is enough traction non-driving wheels will better steer the car than driving wheels can.

On that first statement I would disagree. Having two motors sharing an equivalent volume as a single motor would result in them having 26% more surface area per unit power - since power scales with cube of the linear dimension whereas surface area increases only with the square. Or to put it another way, for the same motor external case temperature the smaller motors can dissipate 26% more internal losses from which one could assume that the total power being developed would be similarly increased.
I would say that it is self evident that since the properties of most materials are eventually degraded by temperature, the ability to remove internal heat more readily will permit any machine to achieve a higher power density.

Following on from this brings me to the subject of motor efficiency, I have been known to postulate this somewhat disturbing statement : -

That the Induction motor becomes more efficient the faster it rotates

Specifically a machine rated at 92% effcy at 1500 rpm should improve to 99% at 12000 rpm. How can this be ?

Well it is a fact that constant electrical power is needed per unit torque (per pole) to provide the magnetic field and it naturally follows that the faster the rotation of this torque the more power to be developed. I think we are all onside with this - RPM times torque equals horsepower does it not ?

It is the amortising of the exact same excitation power against steadily increasing power output with RPM which accounts for this apparent efficiency increase.

But isn't the effcy somehow related to the fact that the rotor doesn't rotate at the same speed as the rotating magnetic flux ? The %age SLIP ?
Well it should be noted that for fixed frequency working, at 50Hz say, slip is customarily quoted as a percentage of synchronous speed. However Slip, is in fact, more accurately defined as a fixed value of rpm dependent on motor loading and totally independent of motor rpm. Consequently if a 4-pole motor is accelerated from 50Hz to 400Hz, then with an initial 6% or 90rpm slip, its rpm is accelerated from 1410 rpm to 11,910rpm. The speed will in fact increase by about 8.45 and not by the 8.00 expected. And this correlates well with my postulation that motor efficiency improves with speed.
Perhaps later there is something that I would add regarding the use of a multiplicity of motors that has only been touched on previously in this forum.

OP: If I might suggest...

I'm pretty sure that Elon Musk has always said... 'minimum' or 'no less than' when referring to a 200 mile range for the Tesla Generation III vehicles. Unfortunately it seems that since he is either soft spoken or has a bad microphone in a large room, people may miss that word, and presume he means 'up to' that range instead.

Also, I believe that he and JB Straubel have called it a platform for multiple vehicles. It will not be strictly a sedan, and nothing else. I'm personally hoping there will be a coupe offered, with Falcon Wing Doors.

Concerning favo wrote (Page 13) - Two smaller motors may be more efficient and allow better handling.
WARPED ONE then posted
No and no.

One bigger electric motor is always more efficient at given output power than two smaller ones. Reason for this is that electric losses scale with square of electric current and power scales linearly with current.

AWD would only be better than FWD/RWD in extremely slippery conditions where two driving wheels don't have enough traction to move the car. When there is enough traction non-driving wheels will better steer the car than driving wheels can.

On that first statement I would disagree. Having two motors sharing an equivalent volume as a single motor would result in them having 26% more surface area per unit power - since power scales with cube of the linear dimension whereas surface area increases only with the square. Or to put it another way, for the same motor external case temperature the smaller motors can dissipate 26% more internal losses from which one could assume that the total power being developed would be similarly increased.
I would say that it is self evident that since the properties of most materials are eventually degraded by temperature, the ability to remove internal heat more readily will permit any machine to achieve a higher power density. .

What about internal friction? Doesn't it increase with the square while power increases with the cube? So bigger motor has smaller internal friction compared to its power? Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, but this was an explanation I once read, concerning, why nanoscale motors are difficult to make: their internal friction is big compared to their power.

OP: If I might suggest...

I'm pretty sure that Elon Musk has always said... 'minimum' or 'no less than' when referring to a 200 mile range for the Tesla Generation III vehicles. Unfortunately it seems that since he is either soft spoken or has a bad microphone in a large room, people may miss that word, and presume he means 'up to' that range instead.

Also, I believe that he and JB Straubel have called it a platform for multiple vehicles. It will not be strictly a sedan, and nothing else. I'm personally hoping there will be a coupe offered, with Falcon Wing Doors.
I am really OK with the whole world thinking "up to 200" as long as they release it with e.g. 220, we grab the headlines and TSLA takes a ride on the Falcon 9. :)

Well, sure... There is that. ;-)

It's just that for me, the notion that the battery pack will have 80% of the 60 kWh capacity at 48 kWh is absolute hogwash. Elon Musk never said that, but numerous publications, online blogs, and enthusiasts assumed that was what he meant. And because of that assumption, they further presumed that he said "up to" 200 miles as a range, when he actually said, "200 miles, minimum".

I'm rather a stickler for 'journalistic integrity', though I admit it is a concept that is rarely adhered to in today's society. :-D

What about internal friction? Doesn't it increase with the square while power increases with the cube? So bigger motor has smaller internal friction compared to its power? Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, but this was an explanation I once read, concerning, why nanoscale motors are difficult to make: their internal friction is big compared to their power.

Hi Matias, thank you for reading my post. You wrote concerning internal friction, in fact I believe you intended to be referring to the motor's internal resistance - an electrical characteristic. It is hard to explain and then there are possible errors in translation due to language irregularities but I will try.

Your question should be "how do you obtain eight times the power from a small motor without it burning up ?"

The answer is that the stator winding is re-wired in such a way that most of the conductors per stator slot are wired in parallel not in series. With this method the cross section of each copper conductor is effectively increased 8 times (in this case) so the effective resistance is reduced by 1/8. Don't forget also that the effective total conductor path length is also reduced to 1/8 since the original conductors are now wired mostly in parallel. The overall resistance is therefore 1/8 times 1/8 = 1/64 of the original resistance.

When you put 8 times the current through this motor naturally you would expect the I2R losses to increase by 64 times. However with 1/64 of the electrical resistance the actual power dissipation in the stator winding is 64 times 1/64 = 1. So the copper loss (as we conventionally refer to it) remains exactly the same. Clever eh!
You may be aware that the conductor bars on the squirrel cage rotor of the Tesla powertrain are made of copper not aluminum, for further savings.

There are similar supporting arguments for the iron loss due to the magnetic system operating up to 8 times higher frequency but I don't have time to explain. However I hope this answers your question about the electrical resistance adequately.

- - - Updated - - -

Moderators - how come I suddenly get the large font size ???????
And another thing - if I am logged in more than about 30 minutes the system rejects my post
I use Vista with text files in rtf

MOD EDIT: Changed text sizes. Once you get a few more posts you will be able to edit your own posts. Not sure about the 30 minute thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
One normal 3 door coupe for me please!
AWD is not necessary :)
Understood. The reason I suspect a closed-roof coupe would have Falcon Wing Doors is that I've seen Franz Von Holzhausen's concept designs for Mazda. The Falcon Wing Doors on Model X are just a continuation, realization, and perfection of a design theme he has liked for a long time. He would really like to make sure there is a dramatic way of entering both the front and rear seats of a coupe at once if at all possible.

He was not given credit for the designs in their entirety, probably because he ran an independent studio. I believe he had more to do with them than the Japanese company is willing to admit. Take a look at these videos for reference:

Mazda Ryuga (1:51) -- PHOTO

Mazda Hakaze (1:49) -- PHOTO

Mazda Nagare (2:10) -- PHOTO

Mazda Kiyora (1:52) -- PHOTO

And... when the time comes for a Tesla Model Z Supercar? Franz has got that covered too:

Mazda Furai (1:28) -- PHOTO

As for AWD, I believe that going forward, beyond the release of Model X, either Performance and Performance+ Tesla Motors vehicles will feature dual motor AWD. The two motors can have a different final drive ratio. So the rear motor would bear the brunt of work for acceleration, while the front motor would have major duties while cruising at speed. The balance between them will change dynamically. The result is that you will get better range out of the same battery pack capacity.

Basically, I'm hoping for these trim levels on GIII:

GIII 60 -- $34,900 - 3700 LBS, RWD 300 HP/317 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 120 MPH, 0-60 4.5 Seconds, 250 Mile Range.
GIII 85 -- $42,900 - 3700 LBS, RWD 362 HP/325 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 130 MPH, 0-60 4.0 Seconds, 318 Mile Range.
GIII P85+ -- $47,900 - 3780 LBS, AWD 416 HP/443 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 140 MPH, 0-60 3.7 Seconds, 354 Mile Range.
GIII P135+ -- $59,900 - 3780 LBS, AWD 500 HP/550 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 155 MPH, 0-60 3.0 Seconds, 505 Mile Range.

Last edited:
I use Vista with text files in rtf

There's your answer. If you copy & paste from an RTF document, the web page translates your font settings from that to the web interface. The same thing will happen if you try to copy & paste from another website. Try composing in an actual Plain Text document, using Notepad for instance.

As for the 30 minute thing... It's a timeout to discourage the use of bots. When you know it will take you a while to finish something, just type the whole thing into a text editor, go back to the main list of forum/subforum threads, enter the one you want to post the message on, then open the Reply dialog. You should be fine if you paste, make additional edits as needed, then Submit.

GIII 60 -- $34,900 - 3700 LBS, RWD 300 HP/317 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 120 MPH, 0-60 4.5 Seconds, 250 Mile Range.
GIII 85 -- $42,900 - 3700 LBS, RWD 362 HP/325 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 130 MPH, 0-60 4.0 Seconds, 318 Mile Range.
GIII P85+ -- $47,900 - 3780 LBS, AWD 416 HP/443 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 140 MPH, 0-60 3.7 Seconds, 354 Mile Range.
GIII P135+ -- $59,900 - 3780 LBS, AWD 500 HP/550 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 155 MPH, 0-60 3.0 Seconds, 505 Mile Range.

A 0-60 time of 4.5 from 300 hp/317 lb-ft hauling 3700 lb is a little optimistic. Of course, that's not taking into account the fact that electric motors produce their peak torque at 0 RPM, or that there are no power interruptions from gear shifts, but I would think 5.0 or 5.5 would be more realistic. Plenty quick regardless, though.

Time to jump in!!! Please excuse the huge post!!!

Battery Sizes
Some people say there will be no Gen3-40. I personally believe there is no “floor” below which Tesla won’t go… if it accelerates removal of gasoline-burning cars from the planet. If Tesla can profitably sell a Gen3-40, they will. Here’s how it might work:

Tesla was selling the 85kWh battery in 2012, along with the 40kWh in the same form factor. (I doubt the 40 was a loss leader) I understand the Model S-40 still had 60kWh of batteries in the pack, but was using software to limit the capacity, resulted in wasted battery material (which I’ve never understood, given the production constraint, but there it is). I’m going to assume for the Gen3 that Tesla no longer does this; a lot of packs will be made with the smallest capacity, and that would be a lot of wasted battery material. Let’s assume that the 40kWh battery only needs half the number of batteries as the 85kWh battery, though they’re still evenly spread throughout the Gen3’s smaller form factor to aid handling and fire resistance. My thinking assumes that Tesla squeezes 85kWh of 2017 batteries into the smaller form factor – in fact, whatever dimension can hold 85kWh of 2017 batteries may influence the Gen3’s pack size.
Let’s assume Tesla will follow their current strategy and offer a range of capacities that fit into the same pack size; lower capacities don’t use all of the space, and weigh less. I’ll also assume that Tesla will stick to the capacities we know today so that in these pioneering times, where for most people, “data” is pretty thin on the ground about how one electric car compares against each another, easier comparisons can be made about how far Gen3 can go on a certain battery capacity vs. the Model S, which will have been on the road for 5 years. Thus… 85, 60 and 40.

It’s been said in many presentations that battery density improves by about 7.5% per year. By the time 2017 rolls around, energy density will have improved by 5 years’ worth, or 1.075*1.075*1.075*1.075*1.075 = 1.436. In 2017, the battery holding 85kWh will fit into a space that is 1/1.436 of the current Model S battery volume, which is approximately 2.13m x 1.22m x 0.15m or 0.38 cubic meters. Gen3 battery will fit 85kWh into 0.27 cubic meters.

Power Electronics
The 2017 Gen3 will use an all-new generation of power electronics, and basically convert energy back and forth more efficiently than the 2012-vintage Model S does now. Consider what JB Straubel had to say here JB Straubel | Energy@Stanford SLAC 2013 - YouTube

* Let’s assume the Gen3 provides a given amount of torque using only 95% of the energy the Model S requires to provide that torque.
* Let’s assume the Gen3 recharges the battery 5% better during braking.
* Let’s assume the Gen3 doesn't heat its cables up as much during charging. I haven’t tried Supercharging on a hot summer day yet, but if you’ve ever touched an HPWC cable while it’s charging at 80A… woah, that heat ain’t good… it’s wasted energy.
* Let’s assume that Vampire Drain will be smaller than it is today, though that doesn't make too much difference.

Car Size & Aerodynamics
A major factor affecting the Gen3 car is its physically smaller size. Consider the ramifications –
Let’s assume it has the same mass as BMW’s 320i – about 3275lbs. (Putting it very unscientifically, the lightness of aluminium is offset by the weight of an EV battery.) This is vs. 4633lbs for the Model S-85, so the Gen3 is only pushing 71% as much mass down the road.
Also, being physically smaller means it will have a lower coefficient of drag. The Model S is the most aerodynamic production car on the road today, with Cd of 0.24 per manufacturer’s claim and independent measurement. Can they get the Gen3 down to 0.23? Aerodynamics will continue to play a crucial role for the Gen3. If you are only driving around town, you rarely move over 45mph and don’t benefit from aerodynamics too much; you’re also more likely to be able to charge here and there, and not have to worry about a flat battery or think too much about Tesla’s 200-mile range claims. However, when people drive more miles, it's often at over 50mph (on expressways, freeways etc.), and aerodynamics will have a major impact in extending range. The option to replace side mirrors with cameras sought by Tesla in order to get the advertised range shows you how important aerodynamics is for getting extra miles (i.e. if you use the conventional mirrors, you get 99% of the advertised range).

Tires
Next point to consider will be tires… the Model S is a big heavy performance car and starts out with 275/25ZR22 tires. The Gen3 base model will have perhaps the same as the base BMW 320i, which I believe is 225/50VR17 tires – so, a lot less rolling resistance, and somewhat improved aerodynamics. Tesla will likely be lobbying Dunlop, Pirelli etc. to come up with a special tire for their needs – ultra-low rolling resistance – for the OEM parts.

Efficiency & Driving Range
So with all those differences to take into account (none of which we really know the hard data on, I concede), let’s consider what they could mean for the range of the Gen3. Tesla have said 200 miles, but they won’t be saying “a 200 mile range no matter what you do” – they’ll say “200 mile range if you drive economically”. Over 11,500 miles, my P85 appears to get three miles/kWh with an even balance of all driving styles and equal city+highway top speed situations. (my lowest ever highway trip was actually 241Wh/mile @ 55mph) With all the factors I’ve mentioned, the Gen3 should average four miles per kWh over all styles of driving. The question is, can it achieve five miles per kWh during economical driving? (the kind where you drive on level ground at 55mph etc. etc.) At that efficiency, a 40kWh battery could take you 200 miles - perfect for people who drive around town and can charge every day or two - and 200 is the magic number that meets Elon Musk’s projections regarding range. (my math is approximate… leaving out anti-bricking buffer amounts inside the battery, which will be hard to predict on the new technology etc.)

Prices
The Gen3 won't make actual profit for a long time, given the five-billion-dollar construction of the Gigafactory to have to pay off first! However, you can still create a per-car profit margin in your calculations if you put the Gigafactory construction cost to one side. If Tesla sells a Gen3-40 for $35,000+sales tax with a profit margin of 15%, that means $5,250 profit and $29,750 costs. Using $180/kWh as their battery cost (see other threads on this forum), the battery would cost $7,200, and the base car without battery would cost $22,550. With those figures, the three battery size versions would cost thus:

40kWh = $35,000+sales tax
60kWh = $39,235+sales tax
85kWh = $44,529+sales tax

Tesla have shown that they’re serious about speeding up the transition away from gasoline cars. If the end-user cost of a Gen3-40 is lower… more people will stop using gasoline cars, so Tesla will do it - even if it’s not an obvious profit center. (of course we expect there to be deposits+waiting list, etc. which is good for the economics of the company)

Each of the three batteries listed will deliver more current to the motor, with more performance & top speed potential – similar to how the Model S works. I project Tesla will cap the 2017 Gen3 at 85kWh.

Tesla will keep the Model S and X at the top of the model range by exclusively offering them with higher capacities that will be available by then. Tesla will have also re-engineered Model S 60 and 85kWh batteries to use the 2017-grade denser cells and lower mass – extending performance and range in those cars, and perhaps allowing higher Supercharging wattages, but continuing with the original size. I project we see the beginning of all this in mid-November 2014 when Tesla announces a 110kWh battery for the top-of-the-range Model S/X during Q3 ER.

Just to show the math, here is a progression of capacity that fits into the same volume with a 7.5% improvement each year:
If Tesla ends up accelerating this increase due to whatever goes on inside the Gigafactory, things will be even better.

Options
Here are some thoughts on options presented for Gen3:
* Batteries – 40, 60 and 85. Economical-style driving ranges would be 200, 275 and 350 miles.
* Hi-speed Computer Pack, perhaps exclusive to the Tech Package – a higher-speed computer back-end that allows for smoother scrolling and quicker responses to the touch. Don’t forget that five years will have passed since they locked the (somewhat sluggish) Tegra circuitry into the Model S. By 2017, this would also be available in the Model S and X (or even perhaps standard there), but you don’t get it in Gen3 if you don’t order the Tech Package. Perhaps the slower-speed computer package (when not ordering Tech Package) would only supply a subset of the car’s overall feature set, but there’d be more features and speed/smoothness with the newer, faster one. Perhaps the faster one is required to run the Autopilot, for example. To keep manufacturing and servicing simple, the faster computer system would be a drop-in replacement for the slower one.
* Autopilot, whatever it turns out to be – may be standard on Model X/S by 2017, may be only available in the Tech Package… may be something they reserve for Model X/S in any case, and not available at all on Gen3. Autopilot is likely a pretty heavy-duty computer power application, and I imagine it’ll be upgraded over time and will require even faster processing circuitry (in addition to more/improved sensor hardware, etc.), so by 2017, the Autopilot option on Gen3 may be “second generation.”
* Retracting door handles – these may be redesigned on the base model car to make them non-moving (and cheaper).
* All-Wheel-Drive – I think Tesla will want every car to be AWD-capable, but the cost of two motors keeps the price up, so they will leave it as a Gen3 option. (Subaru on the other hand, makes you pay even if you don’t want it). It does not affect range particularly, since the power used by two motors for a given amount of acceleration is the same as the power used by one motor. You just order it if you want better traction and don’t need the trunk space.
* Gen3 is a “platform,” just like Gen2, as JB Straubel pointed out in 2013. JB Straubel | Energy@Stanford SLAC 2013 - YouTube We shouldn’t be surprised to see a 4-door sedan/saloon in addition to a 2-door coupe and/or a CAV/CUV-type vehicle – all hatchbacks for aerodynamic reasons. Falcon doors may remain a Gen2 high-end option only, even perhaps simply due to form factor issues. Roll-out schedule for variants would be hard to speculate on, and Gen3 could just begin with a 320i-sized sedan, to start things simply (not to mention it would simplify manufacturing).
* There will be a much larger array of external paint colours and interior colours than we see today. (as there will be on Gen2 by 2017)
* A conventional sunroof that allows you to cover it up and mask 100% of UV rays will be an option. (yay!)
* Tasteful, aerodynamic wheels (as opposed to “traditional” wheels that don’t particularly take it into consideration) will be the basic type. There will be a much larger array of OEM wheels available - as owners seek to customize and individualize their Teslas. Maybe as many wheels as BMW!!! (ok, maybe not that many)
* The internet access and OS updates will continue as a Tesla brand feature. However, there will be optional “faster” internet access, as long as you pay for it. (This may become available on Gen2 before 2017.) The car purchase process may include options to sign up for internet access from one or more carriers, so it has access on the day you get the car. Perhaps Tesla will be able to negotiate a cheap deal with a carrier, enabling them to pledge free 3G service forever (as long as 3G technology is still in use - didn’t they close down PCS 2G recently?) – having said that, the data bill could get pretty hefty for 500,000 new cars entering service every year, so, maybe not.
* The up-front payment for Supercharger access may fall to $1,000. This sort of money is gravy for Tesla, since by 2017 there will be a lot of Superchargers around (not to mention developments enabled by the patent giveaway) It’s possible Tesla will make access to Superchargers free for all new Gen2 buyers going forwards, but keep it as a paid option for Gen3 buyers. (I project Gen3 will outsell Gen2 by 10 to 1.)
* The car won’t be an obvious 5-seater, it's more of a 4-seater. Thus, the rear seat may have a bench-type basic form factor, or an optional center situation like armrests, storage etc..
* Tesla will sell factory child seats as an option.
* Performance version - I’m not actually convinced Tesla will do a performance invertor. Less range, more speed, opt-in. P85 will be ~ $49,000. I’m also not projecting they will bring any “long range performance” option – an invertor/motor cooling system for track use – into production. The bottom-of-the-range Tesla car will always be aimed at energy efficiency. However, if the Gen2 platform has had something made available by then, perhaps it will eventually be made available in the Gen3 too. Also, if there some "energy-efficiency angle" could be found for the invertor/motor cooling system, where e.g. it increases range… then of course, they would put it in.
* I don’t think there will be height-adjustable suspension option unless they do it in a CAV/SUV-type of variant to address the Land Rover/Jeep/agricultural off-road market. (incidentally, I saw an electric Land Rover reviewed on Fifth Gear recently, and saw that it may be quite compelling, since in addition to its awesome torque control and AWD ability, it can drive through deep water without needing air/snorkel etc.)
* There won’t be a rear-seat option… car is too small.
* The basic servicing won’t be what it is for Model S today. I don’t believe they will do the “valet” style loaner car for free – that’ll be a paid option.
* 80A HPWC and dual chargers will still be an option, but they’ll be cheaper. Whay will be available by 2017 is home DC charging, as long as you have a Tesla Home Battery. Better than the AC charging which is currently 92% efficient.

Last edited:
Wow, MartinAustin! It's nice to see I'm not the only one who posts walls of text! This is definitely an obsession for us both, it seems! I'm glad you jumped into the discussion. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

A 0-60 time of 4.5 from 300 hp/317 lb-ft hauling 3700 lb is a little optimistic. Of course, that's not taking into account the fact that electric motors produce their peak torque at 0 RPM, or that there are no power interruptions from gear shifts, but I would think 5.0 or 5.5 would be more realistic. Plenty quick regardless, though.
Well, the horsepower/torque stats are from the same motor that Tesla is using in the base Model S 60. I presume the performance at that weight would be slightly better than what BMW lists for the 335i, specifically because of the way that torque is delivered. 4.5 seconds would effectively be a half second advantage for the GIII. Oh, and I expect the base GIII to come in at 3400 or 3500 pounds if Tesla builds the car out of aluminum instead of steel.

I am expecting that Tesla will be "dialling in" the acceleration of the base Gen3 so that it will get to 60mph less quickly than the base Model S. This will serve to reinforce the model range, and also to make the motor more efficient i.e. longer driving range.

i.e. 0-60mph in the 6.0-second territory, at best.

I am expecting that Tesla will be "dialling in" the acceleration of the base Gen3 so that it will get to 60mph less quickly than the base Model S. This will serve to reinforce the model range, and also to make the motor more efficient i.e. longer driving range.

i.e. 0-60mph in the 6.0-second territory, at best.

I'm hoping Tesla doesn't deliberately sandbag the Gen-III too much. I mean, I understand the model hierarchy thing and all that, but size and price doesn't always necessarily equate with higher-performance. The M3 (M4?) is considered BMW's performance flagship, even though the brand sells much larger and more expensive cars. Don't get me wrong, I think 6 flat 0-60 is legitimately quick by mainstream standards, but I hope there would at least be some upside from "throttled" throttle mapping for increased range, etc.

In terms of charging for many of the "freebies" on the higher-end Model S cars, I think that's a given. There are just certain things you can offer at a lower-volume/higher-price point that become unfeasible for higher-volume/lower-cost models. I expect a paid 4G data option (like GM's OnStar 4G LTE service), and a la carte valet pick-up/drop-off. I think there will be at least one or two levels of higher-performance options, whether that's range or dynamic (0-60/handling) performance. I definitely think there would be a lot of enthusiast interest for a performance-oriented Gen-III.

Last edited:
Battery Sizes & Range

There will not be a 40 kWh battery offered ever again on any Tesla Motors branded product. The reason for this is that Elon Musk has always said the range for GIII will be '200 miles, minimum'. People just presume that he means 'maximum' or 'possible'. That result must be verified by an independent source, such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), in order to hold weight.

Please note the embarrassment that Tesla endured when the EPA rated the range of their cars. The EPA changed their testing cycle just before the Model S was released. Under the old cycle, which the cars had been designed for, the ranges were expected to be:

With the changes the results were around 90% of that:

Tesla cannot afford another embarrassment of that sort.

It has been shown that 'driven economically' at a constant 55 MPH on level ground, one can achieve a 300 mile range in a Tesla Model S 85.

It is well known that if you 'Drive It Like You Stole It', the range drops to what some term 'Real World Range' of 180-220 miles, dependent upon how heavy their right foot may be.

It has been shown that by using 'hypermiling techniques' (also known as Driving Like a Hippie Tree-Hugger) it is possible to reach a 400 mile distance in the car.

No one cares.

All anyone wants to see is an EPA rating of not one iota less than 200 miles range when GIII arrives. Period. If Tesla manages in their own testing a distance of 220 miles, and the EPA gets 90% of that for a 198 mile official range or less... Then every Naysayer, Bear, Short, and talking head throughout the financial and automotive press will eat Tesla's lunch. That cannot be allowed to happen.

JB Straubel has said that between the 2008 release of Tesla Roadster and the 2012 release of Tesla Model S battery cell efficiency had increased by about 40%. The number of battery cells that stored 53 kWh for the Roadster provided 85 kWh in the Model S. If the same thing happens again, then by 2016 the number of battery cells that provided 85 kWh will be able to store ~140 kWh. The number that stored 60 kWh before will offer 100 kWh.

Please note that the $59,900 Model S 40 had the same number of battery cells as the $69,900 Model S 60. The capacity of the lower cost car was limited by software, but could be unlocked to provide more range. Somewhere in their metrics, at least initially, Tesla thought that made sense financially in the long run.

In any case, if you just look at the fact that by 2016 it will only require about 60% of the amount of battery cells used in 2012 to produce a 60 kWh battery pack... And with the introduction of the Gigafactory pricing drops by 30% per cell... That means that the price paid for 60 kWh of storage in 2017 will be only 40% of what it was in 2012... PERFECT for a car with a list price that is HALF what the original Model S 60 cost.

Because of this, Tesla might as well make the minimum battery pack size 60 kWh on GIII. You would have a smaller vehicle, with a much lighter battery pack, achieving far more range, with way more power than any other electric vehicle on the market for $34,900. Whereas a 40 kWh or 48 kWh battery pack might just barely clear 200 miles under extremely frugal driving conditions... A 60 kWh battery pack would demolish that mark, getting at least 250 miles of EPA rated range.

I would go so far as to say it would even be worth it to make all the base battery packs with a capacity of 85 kWh, and limit them to 60 kWh using software. That would simplify manufacturing of the battery packs, and inventory control as well. Once people discover how much they enjoy driving electric, they always want more range. By offering an after-market upgrade people can always get more range later if they need it. Most will go higher end, getting an 85 kWh or higher capacity battery pack anyway, from the very start. Anyone visiting a battery swap location would always get the biggest possible battery.

Red Sage... sadly, our combined $0.02 add up to only $0.04.

Consider the dealership fight that Tesla has to put up with in the USA. How much do you think this affects the financial affairs of the company? Hardly anything. Because... the car is sold all over the world, and the USA dealers are (fortunately) confined to the USA. All the other countries don't care what's going on in the USA.

This also applies to the EPA's mileage figures. Check out this page where Tesla indicates the Model S can go 312 miles. Model S Features | Tesla Motors

There are around 195 countries in the world. Only one of them cares what the EPA has to say.

"Tesla cannot afford another embarrassment of that sort. " Even if it was an embarrassment here inside the USA... Tesla could afford it. It wouldn't affect sales one bit. Frankly, the EPA has a lot of ground to make up in terms of earning public respect, after allowing manufacturers to submit their own gasoline consumption figures instead of doing the actual tests themselves.

I'm inferring from your calculations that the improvement in battery capacity will be even better then the conservative figures I showed. Assuming I am correct... great!

I still think that the 40kWh will be sold, if it provides over 200miles of range. It will make the car cheaper and thus more will be sold. (as I said Tesla are trying to end sales of oil-burning cars... if you have heard the furore over global warming that is happening now... think of what it will be like in 2017. We have a major global issue on our hands)

"Tesla might as well make the minimum battery pack size 60 kWh on GIII." I have a problem with your use of the term "might as well." It's a little unscientific... not well-grounded in economics. They might as well make it 60 ?

If 40kWh provides a car that gives people acceptable range, Tesla will do it. If it doesn't sell well, Tesla can discontinue it. Don't forget that even with its awful packaging, safety, performance and 90-mile range, the Nissan Leaf is selling very well. If Tesla can put something out with twice the range of the Nissan Leaf plus the usual Tesla benefits of interior packaging, safety and performance - and it only requires a 40kWh battery - they will do it.