Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen III - summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think falcon doors will fix ingress/egress to the row behind the row that the door is for to alleviate having to tilt the seat forward. If the falcon door is for the front and second row it could make for a very interesting options to access seats.

My main gripe is with the pointy-ness of the rear doors on Model S. The sharp end of the door sticks out quite far when opening the door in a tight space which makes it even harder to get out. With falcon doors this problem would be greatly improved. Can't wait to experience it with Model X.

It's really creative idea. In general, I personally like it. The problem is that the Model E/Gen III needs to be the mass market car. Falcon doors are polarizing and something the general public has never seen before. There will be a segment of buyers (probably a large one) that will not consider the car with something so different. I might change my mind about that if the Model X is a huge hit and the general public is very intrigued by the doors on it. That might sway acceptance.

2. Always on rear view camera instead of the rear view mirror that obscures the windshield. Would also be fine with side view cameras to improve visibility and allow for future software advances.

I believe that US DOT and many states require actual mirrors instead of cameras.

I agree that cameras would be better than side view mirrors, but laws need to be changed before that can happen.

Just found this article from a Dutch car magazine

Entry-level Tesla will be called the Model E - report

In answer to tdelta1000 the article says - it will have styling that is heavily influenced by the Model S

In the most recent annual meeting Elon said that the Gen 3 will have "a strong family resemblance to the Model S."

Gen 3:

I was speaking with a sales rep in a store last weekend and he told me the number one complaint he gets from people looking at the Model S is the nose cone. He said that the most frequent description he gets is that it "makes the car look cheap." In his efforts to preserve interest he then quickly describes the aftermarket efforts to modify the nose cone and that there are ways to improve it. Hopefully the Gen 3 design team is listening to the feedback.

While this Peugeot 1007 is smaller than the proposed Gen III car, how about a door arrangement something like this? It would require the car to be a hatchback as opposed to a sedan, but it's just to get people thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
He said that the most frequent description he gets is that it "makes the car look cheap." In his efforts to preserve interest he then quickly describes the aftermarket efforts to modify the nose cone and that there are ways to improve it. Hopefully the Gen 3 design team is listening to the feedback.

The only aftermarket mod to the S nose one that I have heard about it backlighting the logo (discussed in another topic at TMC). Are other approaches being attempted?

I don't find the nose done objectionable, and the overall shape of the car is so stunning that it doesn't matter to me.

I hope that the Gen III car retains the Model S form and just scales down the overall dimensions. My wife and I don't need all the space that the S offers, and I can envision eventually trading "down" from the S to the Gen III car but load it up with options so it will have the same functionality but somewhat less carrying capacity

While this Peugeot 1007 is smaller than the proposed Gen III car, how about a door arrangement something like this? It would require the car to be a hatchback as opposed to a sedan, but it's just to get people thinking.
Seems like way too much complexity for something few people are asking for (a 2 door car with access of a 4 door to the rear seats). This is like a solution in search of a problem.

The Falcon wings only make sense in the Model X because you probably need regular access to second/third rows (and six doors is not practical). In a 2 door Gen 3 scenario, the back seats won't be used very often (and those that do use the back seats regularly can opt for the 4 door).

It's really creative idea. In general, I personally like it. The problem is that the Model E/Gen III needs to be the mass market car. Falcon doors are polarizing and something the general public has never seen before. There will be a segment of buyers (probably a large one) that will not consider the car with something so different. I might change my mind about that if the Model X is a huge hit and the general public is very intrigued by the doors on it. That might sway acceptance.

That's what they said about the first sliding doors on vans. And about the first vans as opposed to station wagons. And about cars as opposed to horses. People are always afraid of change until they see obvious improvement. Then, watch out! There is nothing scary about the Falcon doors, and very few people who insist on putting skis or bicycles on the roof, when they can more easily go on a tow hitch rack. There is obvious improvement for the average school age passenger or the mother with the child seat.

That's what they said about the first sliding doors on vans. And about the first vans as opposed to station wagons. And about cars as opposed to horses. People are always afraid of change until they see obvious improvement. Then, watch out! There is nothing scary about the Falcon doors, and very few people who insist on putting skis or bicycles on the roof, when they can more easily go on a tow hitch rack. There is obvious improvement for the average school age passenger or the mother with the child seat.

That is still forcing change on buyers. You are already asking that of them for buying an electric car. You start pushing for more and there will be blowback.

I still contend that mass market means you need to appeal to as many people as possible. If you go too extreme you will alienate segments of the buying public that you want to actually buy the car.

Leave the falcon doors for the Model E crossover just like they did for the Model X.

That is still forcing change on buyers. You are already asking that of them for buying an electric car. You start pushing for more and there will be blowback.

I still contend that mass market means you need to appeal to as many people as possible. If you go too extreme you will alienate segments of the buying public that you want to actually buy the car.

Leave the falcon doors for the Model E crossover just like they did for the Model X.

I agree with the notion of making it simplier and less of a shock to buyers. But if you indulge the idea that the car could be made even more attractive to the eye as well as much more efficient for ingress/egress while keeping the cost of the car down then you'd need to at least see what it would like with them.

Would be really cool if someone could mockup a GenIII with only two falcon doors ;)

I agree with the notion of making it simplier and less of a shock to buyers. But if you indulge the idea that the car could be made even more attractive to the eye as well as much more efficient for ingress/egress while keeping the cost of the car down then you'd need to at least see what it would like with them.

Would be really cool if someone could mockup a GenIII with only two falcon doors ;)

While I'm open to the idea one big problem I have with two falcon doors is you force the driver and front seat passenger to be exposed to the elements whenever anyone in the back seat wants to get out.
Not something that would go over very well in colder climates. I certainly don't want my door open just to let someone out when its well below freezing, snowing or raining. Let them get out thru their own door.
Probably one reason I've never owned a 2 door.

I don't think falcon doors will make the car look that much more different than a conventional two door, nor would it cost less. And the access to the back is still far less convenient than a sedan if that's what you are comparing to (keep in mind that second row access here would be the same as third row access in the Model X).

I have no objections to it being added to the coupe (because I'm not planning on buying a coupe in the first place), but I definitely would have objections if this replaces the 4-door version.

The big reason for the falcon doors is that the Model S/X platform is so wide and the doors so big that getting in and out of it is a pain in a parking lot. The falcon doors address that problem. The Gen 3 isn't expected to be so huge, and hence there isn't such a problem to be solved.

I think it will really come down to cost. If costs of a falcon door are lower, it is at least somewhat likely. We also need to see how well they function in the field. Stay tuned on that question as we will learn much once the Model X is released and costs fall into place.

The big reason for the falcon doors is that the Model S/X platform is so wide and the doors so big that getting in and out of it is a pain in a parking lot.

New Model X & Model E info...

Quote: "We have sensors on the doors now that they'll never hit a garage or a low hanging roof or, a car parked next to you." -Franz Von Holzhausen (Chief Tesla Motors Designer)
Source: Roadmap 2013: DESIGNING AN ELECTRIC CAR FROM THE GROUND UP - YouTube

Quote: "We'll do a new platform." (for Gen3/Model E), "It will be attractive" -Franz
Source: Roadmap 2013: DESIGNING AN ELECTRIC CAR FROM THE GROUND UP - YouTube

Long time reader first time poster.

From watching most tesla videos the picture i paint for the gen3 is;

bmw 3 series size
not as many features as model s
has the range to atleast go between supercharging stations.
Same style grill as model s
same interior (big ipad etc)
Normal doors (not falcon wing)

i just hope that it's a sedan shape (eg bmw 3 not bmw 1 series), no falcon doors, and abit more ground clearance.

Here's a recent interview with Franz: Tesla-Chefdesigner von Holzhausen: "i3 ist wie ein IKEA-Möbel" - autobild.de
There is also an article with portions google translated at Tesla scheduled to be shown at Jan. 2015 Detroit Auto Show, BMW’s i3 design is ‘strange, Ikea-like’ | Electrek, but I think this article misunderstands the translation from Google in respect to the size of the 3rd gen car.

He something like: "It won't be a small Model S, we don't want the same style as Audi. However, we have to give our customers a secure first impression, before we make a crazy design."
My friend who speaks some German took a look at the original and says that Franz most likely means that Audi's cars look very similar to one another. They don't want the 3rd gen car to appear as a smaller but otherwise identical version of the S, however they also don't want to design something too different (from the S or from industry norms I'm not sure).

Also in the article, Franz says they are working hard on the 3rd gen car which is a little different from what we previously understood (that the 3rd gen car only existed as a few sketches).

Franz also says he thinks they will probably unveil the 3rd gen car at the Detroit auto show in 2015 (wiki says it usually takes place in January)

Last edited: