Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen1 Leather Seats in a new car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a used car with Textile seats. It's what was in the car I chose - I didn't choose them. They're fine, but I've been looking at having them redone in leather. I was surprised to get the quotes.

At 2 very reputable upholstery shops - prices $1600 - $1800 complete front and rear. It costs $2,500 to upgrade to Gen2 seats. That got me thinking. Some people prefer the Gen1 seats to Gen2 seats. Gen1 is no longer available in leather. If someone wants Gen1 leather seats, it seems pretty common that they would be able to order their car with Gen1 textile seats and have them reupholstered and still save $700 - $800 compared to getting the Gen2 leather seats.

Personally, I think the Gen2 seats are worth an extra $700. But some don't like them. And this might be a good solution in that case.

Also, the reupholstery assumes the same pattern as the textile seats, as the textile upholstery is just unstitched and used as a template to make the new seats and then reassembled. With custom upholstery though, I get to pick each panel. The quote for $1800 is for the same grade leather used by BMW. I can choose suede leather on the side bolsters as an example. Can also do subtle two tone treatments. Those options don't change the quote. They just cut what they need from a ton of different bolts. I can also choose the color of stitching. Lots of options for a nice custom look. For $100 I can also have both of the front headrests embroidered.

Just thought I'd share.

Please share more.

I preferred Gen 1 and more durability (dogs) so ordered textile seats in my new car. At some point, I may want to upgrade them via upholstering. I'd want colors not offered by Tesla (gray and blue or blue and black).

I Covered mine with Wet Okole seat covers - great for my big Golden Retriever, nice padding and lots of colors

29a2261d36a6bad23f9e0d169e4e05c9.jpg
abd5bba0805f3ab33d176964b95fbb8c.jpg

I'm located in WI.
I went to higher-end classic car restoration shops to find the upholstery place. One worked in house, and another uses an upholstery company that actually specializes in yacht work...but does great work on car seats. The latter - the only caveat is - you have to drop off your seats. You can't drop off your car.

The yacht place is probably where I will go if I run with this idea.

I purchased a used car with Textile seats. It's what was in the car I chose - I didn't choose them. They're fine, but I've been looking at having them redone in leather. I was surprised to get the quotes.

At 2 very reputable upholstery shops - prices $1600 - $1800 complete front and rear. It costs $2,500 to upgrade to Gen2 seats. That got me thinking. Some people prefer the Gen1 seats to Gen2 seats. Gen1 is no longer available in leather. If someone wants Gen1 leather seats, it seems pretty common that they would be able to order their car with Gen1 textile seats and have them reupholstered and still save $700 - $800 compared to getting the Gen2 leather seats.

Personally, I think the Gen2 seats are worth an extra $700. But some don't like them. And this might be a good solution in that case.

Also, the reupholstery assumes the same pattern as the textile seats, as the textile upholstery is just unstitched and used as a template to make the new seats and then reassembled. With custom upholstery though, I get to pick each panel. The quote for $1800 is for the same grade leather used by BMW. I can choose suede leather on the side bolsters as an example. Can also do subtle two tone treatments. Those options don't change the quote. They just cut what they need from a ton of different bolts. I can also choose the color of stitching. Lots of options for a nice custom look. For $100 I can also have both of the front headrests embroidered.

Just thought I'd share.

Is gen 2 the same as next gen? I thought it was more like $6k to get those retrofitted. I guess you are just talking upgrading during new purchase.

Is gen 2 the same as next gen? I thought it was more like $6k to get those retrofitted. I guess you are just talking upgrading during new purchase.
That's exactly right. Next gen seats are the same as my wrongly worded gen2 seats. Upgrading an existing car is indeed over $6,000. If purchased with a new build...$2500 upgrade. What got me exploring was the Panjo ad for 2 front seats for $3k. I now know that's not the way to get a leather upgrade.