Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen1 vs Gen2 and NEMA adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a 10-30 NEMA adapter for my corded mobile connector that came with my car, I read the post on Tesla site and hit purchase. It arrived, and sadly it did not work with my mobile connector. Seems my 2016 Tesla MS 90D got one of the last Gen1 before they start producing Gen2. At first Tesla said sorry you opened the box, it is not returnable and you must keep this new $35 paper weight. I sent a second e-mail saying my adaptor in my car didn't say Gen1 or 2, if I had not opened the box, how would i know if it worked with my adaptor or not, no one responded to my e-mail asking if it would work with my car or not before I purchased? NO customer # to call to ask, we hell no customer service at all. They are accepting my return. SO if your not sure if you have a GEN1 or GEN2? Gen2 the wall connecting portion of the plug discounts from your adaptor, Gen1 just the very end of the plug disconnects. AND no they don't make the 10-30 plug for Gen1.

Attachments

• 1106293-00-A_0.jpg
    1106293-00-A_0.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,393
  • 1512830-00-A_0.jpg
    1512830-00-A_0.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,002
Reactions: Wanderer
I ordered a 10-30 NEMA adapter for my corded mobile connector that came with my car, I read the post on Tesla site and hit purchase. It arrived, and sadly it did not work with my mobile connector. Seems my 2016 Tesla MS 90D got one of the last Gen1 before they start producing Gen2. At first Tesla said sorry you opened the box, it is not returnable and you must keep this new $35 paper weight. I sent a second e-mail saying my adaptor in my car didn't say Gen1 or 2, if I had not opened the box, how would i know if it worked with my adaptor or not, no one responded to my e-mail asking if it would work with my car or not before I purchased? NO customer # to call to ask, we hell no customer service at all. They are accepting my return. SO if your not sure if you have a GEN1 or GEN2? Gen2 the wall connecting portion of the plug discounts from your adaptor, Gen1 just the very end of the plug disconnects. AND no they don't make the 10-30 plug for Gen1.

Not sure I follow your gen1 vs gen2 difference comment or how to tell them apart. I ordered and have been using a NEMA 10-30 adapter from Tesla for about three weeks - for my new M3. It works fine, but I just replaced it with a new HPWC that I installed yesterday. How again do you tell the difference from gen 1 and gen2 10-30 adapters?

Not sure I follow your gen1 vs gen2 difference comment or how to tell them apart. I ordered and have been using a NEMA 10-30 adapter from Tesla for about three weeks - for my new M3. It works fine, but I just replaced it with a new HPWC that I installed yesterday. How again do you tell the difference from gen 1 and gen2 10-30 adapters?
the GEN2 Mobile connector is the one in the 2nd picture (didn't know how to label them) it has the plug that removes, GEN1 mobile connectors only the end of the plug removes and its either a 110 plug or a 240v plug. Sorry i didn't make that more clear.

Reactions: Wanderer
the GEN2 Mobile connector is the one in the 2nd picture (didn't know how to label them) it has the plug that removes, GEN1 mobile connectors only the end of the plug removes and its either a 110 plug or a 240v plug. Sorry i didn't make that more clear.

I think I got it, and I have a gen2 as what removes from the “brick” pictures is a plus and short pigtail from the “brick”...

FWIW, while I agree that Tesla customer service sometimes leaves something to be desired, your post is full of misinformation.

The site does differentiate between Gen 1 and Gen 2, and even specifically says the year of the change and shows the difference. And yes, they do still sell Gen 1 adapters, including the 10-30.

Gen 2 adapter page:

Screenshot_20190712-225555.png

Gen 1 10-30 listing:
Screenshot_20190712-225636.png

Gen 1 description:
Screenshot_20190712-230013.png

FWIW, while I agree that Tesla customer service sometimes leaves something to be desired, your post is full of misinformation.

The site does differentiate between Gen 1 and Gen 2,and even specifically says the year of the change and shows the difference. And yes, they do still sell Gen 1 adapters, including the 10-30.

Gen 2 adapter page:

View attachment 429045

Gen 1 10-30 listing:
View attachment 429046

Gen 1 description:
View attachment 429047

Ah, much more understandable!

The site does differentiate between Gen 1 and Gen 2, and even specifically says the year of the change and shows the difference. And yes, they do still sell Gen 1 adapters, including the 10-30.

Gen 2 adapter page:

View attachment 429045

Gen 1 10-30 listing:
View attachment 429046

Gen 1 description:
View attachment 429047
Thanks for your post, I did not see it or looked and saw a 110 plug and didn't think that's what i needed, so I sent an e-mail to Tesla asking for assistance. I received none. What i was going for here was to help other people who might not have the info, thanks for adding to this, now I can find the right part, that Tesla told me they didn't make, and I would have to find a different solution. That info came from the parts department and from the person who responded to my request to return. So now i at lease know how to buy the correct part. The Tech who repaired my door handle told me they stopped making my type of mobile connector in shortly after i got my car, maybe she had my cars year wrong, but thanks for that info too.

Reactions: Zaxxon
Since there was some confusion noted, I grabbed some images of the two different generations of mobile chargers. Pictured are the Gen1 (left) and Gen2 (right) adapters along with their respective 10-30 ends. Major differences are the way the different outlet adapters connect, the Gen2 is thinner cable, and the Gen1 adapter charges up to 40 amps instead of 32 amps with the Gen2.

The first picture shows both sets side-by-side with the 14-50 connected along with their respective 10-30 and 5-15 adapters. The second is the face of both 10-30 outlet adapters. The third image is what the actual port of each mobile charger looks like that the outlet adapters connect to.

Attachments

• Gen 1 and Gen 2.jpg
    Gen 1 and Gen 2.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 842
  • 10-30 Ends.jpg
    10-30 Ends.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 696
  • Connectors.jpg
    Connectors.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Helpful
Reactions: David29
Do you think the gen-1 adapters sold by evseadapters are safe? My understanding is that mobile adapters have temperature monitoring built into the plug; I have a nema 6-20 adapter which is a much nicer design than the gen-1 designs (not even sure if tesla makes an official gen-1 nema 6-20) in that it is a plug on a cable rather than a plug adapter that is too enormous to plug into an outdoor covered outlet.

Tesla Model S and X Gen 1 Charging Adapters

Do you think the gen-1 adapters sold by evseadapters are safe?
I hadn't seen those before, they look quite interesting. Judging by the photos only, they seem to be made using appropriately sized cabling. With their cost, I'd get the official adapters direct from Tesla if they have your style but if you need a different shaped connector they seem like they would be worth a try. I'd imagine the built-in safety would only monitor the mobile adapter connector end, possibly the "power brick" piece, and the car connector for temperature. That leaves the actual electrical plug unmonitored in the the evseadapters. As long as nothing is loose and the rated amperage is followed I would think it should be reasonably safe.

I've personally used more generic outlet adapters from AC Connectors. They seem well built but are potentially less safe because you have to manually set the charging speed to match the connector. One of mine melted slightly due to an oversight on my part. Nothing was harmed but I did replaced the adapter for safety.

I've got my gen 1 and that nema 6-20 adapter; car seems to charge quite well on it.

I asked clippercreek why they don't put a nema 6-20 plug on their 240v/20a charger; they replied that their engineers were not comfortable with the durability of a nema 6-20 outlet in the face of the sort of duty cycle you'd see with BEV charging (I guess that's "constant full load plus many many insertion / removal cycles). The plug on my current setup, when charging, does get warm but not uncomfortably so, after charging the car for several hours. I would feel more comfortable with the setup if I knew the nema side of the setup had temperature monitoring. Come to think of it, I'll just ... ask them.

I'm going to charge with the 6-20 for now and see if a 240/20a circuit is enough to get me through the winter (boston); if so I'll install a circuit hard-wired clipper creek charger.

follow up, waiting for another reply from Tesla, after I was schooled in the correct adapter to order, so I did order the correct plug. Tesla shows on their website in image 10-c_1.jpep the W L going in a normal direction, in my included picture 6555.jep (hard to see because its below the driver a bit) the same W's L direction, and in image 6727.jpg a backwards L for the W is the NEMA adaptor Tesla sent me. NOW to be fair looking on line there seems to be a variance on the direction the L for the W faces. It appears it can go either way. Tesla didn't ask which way in the order form my W needed to face or have multiple adopters to purchase. I have been waiting for their replay to my "help this isn't the right W" for 3 days. I bet they are going what?? I just want to change at my in-laws in an emergency and I am beginning to think it might be easier to pay to have the plug and dryer rewired!

Attachments

• 1016174-10-C_1.jpg
    1016174-10-C_1.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_6727.jpeg
    IMG_6727.jpeg
    245.4 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_6555.jpeg
    IMG_6555.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 742
Since there was some confusion noted, I grabbed some images of the two different generations of mobile chargers. Pictured are the Gen1 (left) and Gen2 (right) adapters along with their respective 10-30 ends. Major differences are the way the different outlet adapters connect, the Gen2 is thinner cable, and the Gen1 adapter charges up to 40 amps instead of 32 amps with the Gen2.

The first picture shows both sets side-by-side with the 14-50 connected along with their respective 10-30 and 5-15 adapters. The second is the face of both 10-30 outlet adapters. The third image is what the actual port of each mobile charger looks like that the outlet adapters connect to.
Do you know if a Gen1 mobile charger will work on a Model 3 or Model Y?