Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40amp Single Phase wall charger info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a second hand 2015 Model S and it came with the attached 40amp single phase wall charger. I can't find any information on it online. Is this the same as the American 80amp one but rated for 240v? How many kw will it charge at?
20231106_220720.jpg

I have 3phase at home and not sure whether to install this or just get a Gen 3 wall charger.

Attachments

• 20231106_195240.jpg
    20231106_195240.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 53
I didn't think they ever had the US single phase HPWCs out here. I suspect it's just the normal 3-phase original HPWC that came with cars in 2015. So it can supply up to 22kW 3-phase or 7kW single phase. Manual attached so you can check it. The car of course is limited to 11kW unless it had the dual charger option installed.

Attachments

• Wall_Connector_Install_Guide_Australia.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
I recently bought a second hand 2015 Model S and it came with the attached 40amp single phase wall charger.
It'll do about 9.5kW.

There were a few variants of the onboard charger in the Model S - do you know if you have the dual charger option? Which one you have will affect how much faster you can go with a 3 phase charger, potentially up to 22kW.

3 phase charging will also balance the load across your phases which can be a benefit.

This is the label on my 3 phase V2 Wall Connector. It can charge my twin charger Model S at 22Kw.
IIRC the earliest batch of Model S were supplied with Hong Kong charge connectors, then they were replaced some time later With V2 units like mine, however for anyone who wanted a second wall connector, initially there were V1 connectors available for a limited time. I bought an V1 connector in 2015 when they were available, and I still have it, but I’m not near it at the moment but will take a picture of its label on the weekend and post it here.
IMG_0144.png

Hi Everyone. Thank you all for the replies! I don't know if the car has dual chargers, I suspect not. How do I find out?

A consideration for me is how much extra cabling I need to run. I have a 20amp three phase outlet in my garage already which i use for my lathe. Its fed by cable that is 3.12mm diameter including insulation, which i believe is 6mm2 cable. For memory I asked the sparky to upgrade the cable when he installed my 20amp circuit so the house was EV ready. If it is, ill probably sell the 40amp charger and get a gen 3.

Attachments

• 20231107_183236.jpg
    20231107_183236.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 19
Your car will have dual chargers, they are standard from 2016-2022 model S and X.
To 40a gen 1 charger that you have are great, rock solid compared to Gen2.

What you can do is get a tail with a plug put on your ev charger and just unplug your ev when you want to use your other tools if they sparky did upgrade your wiring.

Hi Everyone. Thank you all for the replies! I don't know if the car has dual chargers, I suspect not. How do I find out?

A consideration for me is how much extra cabling I need to run. I have a 20amp three phase outlet in my garage already which i use for my lathe. Its fed by cable that is 3.12mm diameter including insulation, which i believe is 6mm2 cable. For memory I asked the sparky to upgrade the cable when he installed my 20amp circuit so the house was EV ready. If it is, ill probably sell the 40amp charger and get a gen 3.
Make sure you press that reset button on the side when the installation is complete. It typically will not function until you do. It is in the manual but not in a big way.

If you are getting someone to install that now, note it doesn't have the DC 6mA protection built in as required by AS/NZS:3000, the Type B RCD that would be required to install it cost a fortune. Best to stick with a new Gen 3 wall charger.

Saying that, if a standard socket outlet was installed and protected by a regular and cheap type A RCBO and someone happened to plug in a non DC protected wall connector, it could be considered legal depending on how you look at it.

Reactions: dronus
Unless it's changed my understanding was the DC protection was a should not a shall, ie. Highly recommended rather than required.

Hmm, just thought I was going mad, but your right, I have been over doing it. Looks like you can get away with just a type A. I'm sure this was a requirement. Appendix P of AS/NZS:3000 does indeed use the world should rather than shall in P4.1. Good pick up. I'd be pretty sure than it will be mandated in the next standard.

Reactions: dronus