Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen3 Wall Charger - Power Sharing Solid Blue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anybody has 2 Gen3 wall chargers set up with Power Sharing? Even though each of the wallchargers are on a dedicated 60A circuit I thought I would configure the power sharing just to prevent any possible overload on my panel (200A service).

I configured the master and the 2nd unit, everything connected and seemed fine. However when i plug in the Model 3 to charge both the wall charger and the car just stay Solid Blue and charging never starts. The display in the car just says Charging Stopped. I went into the master wall charger, disabled power sharing and the same thing happened. Once I went into the master and removed the secondary wall charger completely the charging lights turned green and all was good.

The units are about 4 feet away from each other with strong internet connections. Any idea why charging won't start?

So right now they two units are just completely stand alone on dedicated circuits and each works fine. I don't suspect it to ever be an issue but thought it was kind of cool feature to turn on. I have tried to charge from each unit and they both work great with the full 48A.

I have 2 gen 2s in power sharing, not gen 3s, but I remember reading though the gen 3 power sharing information. Here is the info tesla has on it:

It seemed a bit convoluted to me on the gen 3s because it was "set network charging limits", and I think its the sum total of your circuit(s). I suggest reading through the above and verifying you have it setup like they want you to.

According to the PDF I found, solid blue light is "waiting to charge, communicating with vehicle"

Anyway, good luck with it, hopefully someone with power sharing gen 3s can point you in the right direction.

Circling back on this topic related to power sharing with gen3 chargers. I was under the impression this is possible on one single circuit splitting your main 2 ways (one to each borne). Has anyone managed to get this working?

I am pretty sure that the installation manual for the Gen 3 has you using a separate breaker for each wall connector connection, unlike the installation manual for gen 2.

So, as far as Teslas instructions for power sharing for gen 3 wall connectors, your impression is incorrect. note that I am not saying that wiring it the same way a gen 2 is wired absolutely wont work, I am saying that tesla tells you not to wire it that way.

I am pretty sure that the installation manual for the Gen 3 has you using a separate breaker for each wall connector connection, unlike the installation manual for gen 2.

So, as far as Teslas instructions for power sharing for gen 3 wall connectors, your impression is incorrect. note that I am not saying that wiring it the same way a gen 2 is wired absolutely wont work, I am saying that tesla tells you not to wire it that way.
You’re maybe correct I’m just getting mixed interpretations of what is the correct way of doing it and of course lest costly. I guess I’d have to speak to an electrician and someone who may have done it already. Thx

You’re maybe correct I’m just getting mixed interpretations of what is the correct way of doing it and of course lest costly. I guess I’d have to speak to an electrician and someone who may have done it already. Thx
The way tesla says to do it is in that document I linked, and is pretty clear about what tesla wants you to do. From teslas point of view, the correct way will be the way that is in that document.

And it's very clear:
The Manual said:
Power Sharing Overview
This feature will be available in a future over-the-air firmware update.
The firmware-based power sharing feature enables up to 16 Wall Connectors installed at the same site to
intelligently share the site's total available power via unit-to-unit Wi-Fi. This minimizes the need for many
residential and commercial applications to have specific electrical upgrades for concurrent multi-vehicle
charging.
During the commissioning process,
Wall Connectors are allocated to individual branch circuits (each up to 60 amps)
Total power is allocated to the group of linked Wall Connectors
Total current output of Wall Connectors that share power will never exceed the site's total allocated
power.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
And it's very clear:

Yeah, it looks pretty clear there to me as well. The ambiguity that @The banker 31 might be seeing, is because Tesla Gen 2 wall connectors specifically have it setup the way they are describing, with one breaker.

Its pretty clear how each one wants it to be setup, between the two. I have also seen people post about setting up gen 3s with a single breaker but thats not how tesla wants it to be setup.

Circling back on this topic related to power sharing with gen3 chargers. I was under the impression this is possible on one single circuit splitting your main 2 ways (one to each borne). Has anyone managed to get this working?
You can do it on one circuit, but you'll want to use a small load center that can hold two circuit breakers to split it for the two wall connectors. Technically, it's then two circuits, but it allows you to run only one circuit to the garage.

Thanks for the replies I can understand what is being recommended, now to be honest I just don’t understand why it would need a sub panel to split the circuit into 2. Im not an electrician and trying to understand the logic. Thank you again
Thanks for the replies I can understand what is being recommended, now to be honest I just don’t understand why it would need a sub panel to split the circuit into 2. Im not an electrician and trying to understand the logic. Thank you again
So here why now if I’m installing a sub panel with 2 breaker and then from there wiring one to each bien how is this power sharing? Each borne will be limited to 25 AMPs in the example of a 60 AMP breaker at main panel.