Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Generac PwrCell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resurrecting this old thread with some news...

There is some drama going on regarding the use of Generac "SnapRS" disconnects... from what I can tell Generac complete PV+ESS systems use these in-line disconnects on each DC-coupled PV panel that are triggered by the inverter. This is in lieu of the blade disconnect (like my avatar) to rapidly shutdown the PV.

I guess the drama is that a regional solar company Pink Energy is claiming Generac's systems are not reliable. Generac contends Pink Energy didn't install the equipment correctly. But regardless who is to blame, homeowners who aren't experts in PV+ESS are left bag-holding with systems that don't work and nobody to service the system.

I think if you're in the market for a Generac PV+ESS, it would make sense to simply ask your installer to not use the SnapRS and still achieve NEC 2017 rapid shutdown requirements using my favorite blade disconnect. It's not that I dislike blade disconnects; it's that I hate a bunch of blade disconnects that seem redundantly redundant.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Generac has an updated SnapRS to correct the problem with earlier models. Emerald Energy replaced all of my SnapRS earlier this year and my system has been working fine. Pink Energy was a fly by night installer that has ripped off their customers. Generac is trying to replace the defective parts but they are not staffed to handle the mess Pink left them and it is taking time to get it corrected. Bottom line….. Do your research and find a reputable installer regardless what type of system you install.

Generac stock price is really taking it on the chin. They lost almost $18M on Pink Energy bad debt and $37M on those warranty issues. I assume Pink shutting their doors acknowledges some fault although GNRC fixed an issue with the SnapRS disconnects. Hopefully GNRC doesn't have a pending lawsuit with Pink.

Generac stock price is really taking it on the chin. They lost almost $18M on Pink Energy bad debt and $37M on those warranty issues. I assume Pink shutting their doors acknowledges some fault although GNRC fixed an issue with the SnapRS disconnects. Hopefully GNRC doesn't have a pending lawsuit with Pink.
Time to buy:-?

Not sure if the last bit was sarcastic or not, but Pink did sue Generac.

Reactions: ElectricIAC