Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Genius level IQ people. Explain what Tesla is doing!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the board is just a magic 8 ball
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: mcbarnet007
That makes no sense. What's to prevent them from starting a new lease? Retail stores at malls and shopping centers turn over all the time. The point is a Tesla store or gallery is so simple that opening one would take weeks compared to months or years it takes to open a restaurant or big box store.

They do have turnover at lower end centers where Tesla is not located and doesn’t want to be. In A rated malls occupancy is typically close to 100% and the space you want next to the Apple store or other high traffic location is rarely available.

As a study, I’d like to know if genius level IQ person(s) can explain what the hell is going on.

I have two questions:

1.) Why is Tesla whipping their prices with such high frequencies and amplitudes. Do they know what they are doing? Not pissing people off is common sense?

2.) How can they announce store closures one day and just go about face the next? Leases to pay are common sense?
Do they know what they are doing?

Why IQ matters is studies show that people have trouble explaining concepts and see things differently than someone who is 30 points lower or 30 points higher.

Is Tesla playing 4D chess? Is there method to the madness?

Elon Musk I would guess around 160 but also twice exceptional which explains some of the oddities like insulting the SEC which can’t be rationalized out by and stretch.

I have no idea on my clinical IQ but I am sure some here think it is very low. ;)

A running joke is I am 90 and my wife is 200 and our children got the average.

Please opine if you are gifted (130) or just normal (100-115) or don’t even know. Really curious on how we all interpret all this.

Without testing and slowness at number sequences I’m going to guess normal for me.
My guess is Musk just tweeted whatever came to his mind and then...

Their people reminded him that Tesla is on the hook for breaking the leases.
Plus they started to get messages from angry customers who paid a lot more for their cars prior to his announcement of price drops.

Bottom line: It's purely ineptness & ignorance.

It is truly a great shame since Tesla was on their way to be the very first premier American car company.

Reactions: mattjs33 and Matias
Hmm...I suppose if the lease ran right up to the day your Y is delivered it would be a good deal. So, you've been waiting patiently for a Model Y for a long time? I take that means you don't own a Tesla of any kind then?

Correct - I don't think they'd offer such a thing (Rent a 3 till your Y is ready) - but boy would that be nice.

I don't own a Tesla yet - still in a traditional SUV. My current lease expires in September, so I need to make a decision this year. Very tough call... If the Y were available this year, it'd be easy. But I'm going to end up in a likely 2-year lease one way or the other - whether it's a Model 3, or just another traditional SUV to bridge the gap is still TBD. I'm not interested in owning a sedan; can I lump it through a 2-year lease? That's the big question.

They do have turnover at lower end centers where Tesla is not located and doesn’t want to be. In A rated malls occupancy is typically close to 100% and the space you want next to the Apple store or other high traffic location is rarely available.

So you’re saying Tesla can’t find good locations yet 70% (100% minus 10% already closed minus 20% at risk) of existing Tesla stores and galleries are in good locations. What’s changed such that Tesla won’t be able to find good locations next year (if they wanted to) when they were able to find good locations last year?

Also, there’s even less to stop Tesla from opening pop up displays/galleries in malls and shopping centers. Just need a car, a small display, and a worker. This is easy to do. We know this because EAA and it’s chapters do it all the time.

Reactions: EinSV
Correct - I don't think they'd offer such a thing (Rent a 3 till your Y is ready) - but boy would that be nice.

I don't own a Tesla yet - still in a traditional SUV. My current lease expires in September, so I need to make a decision this year. Very tough call... If the Y were available this year, it'd be easy. But I'm going to end up in a likely 2-year lease one way or the other - whether it's a Model 3, or just another traditional SUV to bridge the gap is still TBD. I'm not interested in owning a sedan; can I lump it through a 2-year lease? That's the big question.
I've never leased a car. Can you not just extend it on the existing vehicle? I mean there's no guarantee that you'll be able to time the delivery of your Y exactly to the length of the lease you have. Tesla's actual release and delivery dates are not exactly "precise" :D

So you’re saying Tesla can’t find good locations yet 70% (100% minus 10% already closed minus 20% at risk) of existing Tesla stores and galleries are in good locations. What’s changed such that Tesla won’t be able to find good locations next year (if they wanted to) when they were able to find good locations last year?

Also, there’s even less to stop Tesla from opening pop up displays/galleries in malls and shopping centers. Just need a car, a small display, and a worker. This is easy to do. We know this because EAA and it’s chapters do it all the time.

Those locations they have came open for one reason or another over the course of YEARS. When they came open a leasing rep follows up on their leads and finds the best use and highest paying tenant they can find. If tesla wants to play the “we might close at anytime” game I can assure you that’ll bump them down a few notches. I’d take a 10 year deal from Zara that’ll take major square footage over a short term deal for a 2,500 sq ft Tesla store. Just depends on the pieces of the puzzle. And what changes is someone else takes the space, expands, etc.

Pop ups are a different beast. That’s specialty leasing. Some high end malls don’t even allow this. Sommerset in the Detroit area is an example. Plus they’ll pay a higher rate of percentage rent since it’s short term and a good rep will compress the breakpoint.

Truly I think their best bet is to get out of malls and onto the street. Have some inventory for those shoppers who plan out a Saturday to buy a car and want to drive 3 different makes back to back and buy that same day.

I've never leased a car. Can you not just extend it on the existing vehicle? I mean there's no guarantee that you'll be able to time the delivery of your Y exactly to the length of the lease you have. Tesla's actual release and delivery dates are not exactly "precise" :D

I could take it - but Cadillac only offers up to a 6 month extension. That puts me into March 2020... still too early for a Model Y, methinks.

I have an idea. Tesla should franchise the stores out and provide a little inventory to each one for test drives and instant purchases. Then they don't need to manage any stores at all but they still get the benefit of brick and mortar. They can even sell the cars at a discounted cost to these private stores so that the company still makes a sale at a profit while not have to wait until customer delivery. Win win!

But that doesn't mean he isn't crazy.

He's a lock to be 2E (Twice exceptional). Can decide to invent reusable rockets in one hour, and engage in twitter wars with British expats the next hour. Not clinically crazy but I know what you mean. :)

I have no claims of IQ. I doubt that has any place in this discussion.

Why IQ absolutely matters is a person either cannot or has great difficulty relating to someone more than two standard deviations away from their target audience. It's not a classical science but also not pseudo science. Musk was lonely and bullied as a child. No one was above him and maybe 1 kid in his entire region was 1 standard deviation below him.

To this day, Elon Musk says/does things that is difficult for many of us to comprehend. While I am amused at so many people here themselves average, I'm going to make an educated guess that a sizable portion of the Tesla community is at least "gifted" or can hang with "near genius/genius" That range is only 130-145. Those on the high end can have an educated conversation with Musk and not come off as feeble minded. 130 is 2% of the population. It's GOOD but not that rare among the Tesla demographic.

People with high EQ can employ people with high IQ. The reverse doesn’t apply.

Having worked for someone with a high IQ but incredibly poor EQ (in a different field than tech/engineering), I find a lot of wisdom in this statement. The organization that this person ran was, from a people perspective, completely in shambles, because none of the decision-making took into account the "people" impact of anything. This person was a nice and well-intentioned human being, but he led as if everyone around him was a robot, and ultimately morale suffered. You can be all about the data and that's great, but if you are working with people or relying on people to move a mission forward, the EQ is so vital.

I have an idea. Tesla should franchise the stores out and provide a little inventory to each one for test drives and instant purchases. Then they don't need to manage any stores at all but they still get the benefit of brick and mortar. They can even sell the cars at a discounted cost to these private stores so that the company still makes a sale at a profit while not have to wait until customer delivery. Win win!

I'm sure that will over great with their litigation with states when they are arguing Tesla shouldn't need a dealer network.

As far as what the hell Musk is thinking... I think he's just acting like a typical software engineer who's trying to find the right thresholds by experimenting and fine-tuning. Because he's focused on the long-term effects, he's relatively unconcerned about short-term impacts... Including the social blowback caused by making frequent changes. A lot of very high-IQ people undervalue the social impacts of things they say or do.

At Tesla and SpaceX I am certain Musk has contemporaries that can match him. Not in $ or noteworthiness but same caliber thinker.

There has to be someone who has an IQ of at least 145 that Musk should respect enough to listen when she or he says there is going to be a problem.

Me personally being a risk taker and if I was Tesla's webmaster I would have insisted to speak to Elon if I was given orders to drop the 3P+ price by $5K and remove the 3P option. I would do whatever the boss told me but not without mentioning what I think will happen (which did happen).

Musk appeared to have been taken by surprised. That is not beyond disbelief as you said, hes looking "elsewhere", Though a subordinate in a meeting could have said something. "I bet my job this is going to happen. Promote me or fire me depending on what happens".

For Question #1, it's Economics 101 - supply & demand. If Tesla produces more cars in a given week than they sold, they reduce the price to increase demand. When they sell more than produced, they raise the price to reduce demand. They are just looking for that perfect equilibrium.

supply-and-demand1.jpg

To be honest, S+D is junior/senior year of high school economics. I don't know if they taught the impact of subsidies taxes or oligopoly pricing in HS but we have to hope Tesla is operating at much deeper levels of analysis.

You have to consider

Economics:
-Elasticity of demand
-Normal good/Superior good status. Perhaps even Veblen good.
-Substitute goods
-Macroeconomics
-Game Theory

Finances:
-Consumer confidence
-Wages

Psychology:
-?

Someone in the psychology field can chime in with technical terms but I just know Tesla really wants to make people wait and see and not jump first.

Exception: Model Y is too sexy and analysis goes out the window.