Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Genius level IQ people. Explain what Tesla is doing!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
As a study, I’d like to know if genius level IQ person(s) can explain what the hell is going on.

I have two questions:

1.) Why is Tesla whipping their prices with such high frequencies and amplitudes. Do they know what they are doing? Not pissing people off is common sense?

2.) How can they announce store closures one day and just go about face the next? Leases to pay are common sense?
Do they know what they are doing?

Why IQ matters is studies show that people have trouble explaining concepts and see things differently than someone who is 30 points lower or 30 points higher.

Is Tesla playing 4D chess? Is there method to the madness?

Elon Musk I would guess around 160 but also twice exceptional which explains some of the oddities like insulting the SEC which can’t be rationalized out by and stretch.

I have no idea on my clinical IQ but I am sure some here think it is very low. ;)

A running joke is I am 90 and my wife is 200 and our children got the average.

Please opine if you are gifted (130) or just normal (100-115) or don’t even know. Really curious on how we all interpret all this.

Without testing and slowness at number sequences I’m going to guess normal for me.

Last edited:
Sometimes Tesla's decision making reminds me of a rubber ball falling on the ground; big dramatic changes that bounce up and down then settle to a final resting point. Don't ask me, sometimes being inflexible AFTER a decision is good, sometimes it's bad. I think it depends on what's being decided on. People that blindly follow plans are asking for as much trouble as people that have no plan at all. To paraphrase a famous military leader (Helmuth van Moltke), "No plan survives contact with the consumer."

As a study, I’d like to know if genius level IQ person(s) can explain what the hell is going on.

I have two questions:

1.) Why is Tesla whipping their prices with such high frequencies and amplitudes. Do they know what they are doing? Not pissing people off is common sense?

2.) How can they announce store closures one day and just go about face the next? Leases to pay are common sense?
Do they know what they are doing?

Why IQ matters is studies show that people have trouble explaining concepts and see things differently than someone who is 30 points lower or 30 points higher.

Is Tesla playing 4D chess? Is there method to the madness?

Elon Musk I would guess around 160 but also twice exceptional which explains some of the oddities like insulting the SEC which can’t be rationalized out by and stretch.

I have no idea on my clinical IQ but I am sure some here think it is very low. ;)

A running joke is I am 90 and my wife is 200 and our children got the average.

Please opine if you are gifted (130) or just normal (100-115) or don’t even know. Really curious on how we all interpret all this.

Without testing I declare myself normal.
Tesla no doubt has very detailed models and simulations to predict things like profitability based on input parameters such as vehicle price, store expenses, etc. It looks like someone decided to drop store expenses to zero and reduce vehicle prices to the point where a certain minimum profitability was maintained. It then appears that that decision was overruled and a certain number of stores were to remain open. The model would then kick out the maximum vehicle price reduction that would maintain minimum allowed profitability.

I can’t speculate as to the causes of the decisions made, but the behavior of the number of stores vs. vehicle price reduction seems totally logical.

I have no claims of IQ. I doubt that has any place in this discussion.

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
Tesla no doubt has very detailed models and simulations to predict things like profitability based on input parameters such as vehicle price, store expenses, etc. It looks like someone decided to drop store expenses to zero and reduce vehicle prices to the point where a certain minimum profitability was maintained. It then appears that that decision was overruled and a certain number of stores were to remain open. The model would then kick out the maximum vehicle price reduction that would maintain minimum allowed profitability.

I can’t speculate as to the causes of the decisions made, but the behavior of the number of stores vs. vehicle price reduction seems totally logical.

I doubt their models can take the attitude of customers, how the press treats them, and what the stock markets will do into account. You can't really calculate that.

I last tested about 135 if I recall correctly. I find Tesla's behavior insane and completely out of touch with reality.

Musk may be a genius but he's totally irrational in his business decisions in my view. He seems to operate 90% on heart and 10% on logic. I do appreciate the fact that he operates so much based on trying to do the right thing most of the time. In a world where most business people are 10% heart (combined?) it's wonderful to see someone so seemingly genuine.

But that doesn't mean he isn't crazy.

I last tested about 135 if I recall correctly. I find Tesla's behavior insane and completely out of touch with reality.

Musk may be a genius but he's totally irrational in his business decisions in my view. He seems to operate 90% on heart and 10% on logic. I do appreciate the fact that he operates so much based on trying to do the right thing most of the time. In a world where most business people are 10% heart (combined?) it's wonderful to see someone so seemingly genuine.

But that doesn't mean he isn't crazy.
Man, we all love to have a chance to boast about high IQs on the internet :)

I also am in the like high 130s from my various non-internet tests, so I'm no genius. Anyway, I also have no clue WTF Tesla is doing right now, but for the first time since I've been following them, they have me a bit concerned as a customer that support for my car and solar panels may not be long-lived.

I hate to say it but some of Elon's business decisions are just like Trump's foreign policy decisions.
No way!! Tesla is doing the best it's ever done and it was pretty much all under Musk's leadership. Our foreign policy is in a shambles and we're losing ground everywhere. There's a difference between success with chaos and failure with madness.

You may be giving Tesla more credit than they deserve. My own experience is that they suffer horribly from the left hand not knowing the right hand problem. They probably are squabbling over the decision but i doubt it had any evidence based facts driving the decisions.

Average IQ is exactly 100. Tests are normed so that 100 is the Midpoint. Half the people you meet are below that.

The average range is 100 +/- 15... So the "normal" range for people you meet is 85 to 115. About 2/3 of people fall in that range. That's +/- one "standard deviation."

The 130 figure is about people who are at least two standard deviations above norm - about 2.3% of people are above 130. That doesn't define "genius," but people in that group are definitely smarter than average at the kinds of standardized tests that we're using these days.

I'm in the > 130 group.

As far as what the hell Musk is thinking... I think he's just acting like a typical software engineer who's trying to find the right thresholds by experimenting and fine-tuning. Because he's focused on the long-term effects, he's relatively unconcerned about short-term impacts... Including the social blowback caused by making frequent changes. A lot of very high-IQ people undervalue the social impacts of things they say or do.

Last edited:
Thank god I'm not a genius.

That lets me off the hook because I haven't a clue. Supposedly sales cratered in 2019 so Tesla is acting desperate. That's what Ars will have people believe.
The problem here is that there have been negative groups and individuals saying that since 2008. It gets a little old when they have been proven wrong every single time.

If I were to give them the benefit of the doubt (which I do), I would guess they're doing AB testing on a whole new scale. A good way to experiment is with incremental and measured changes. A good way to learn quickly is by making sudden and radical changes. Tesla obviously gets a lot of commentators on every action they take and with the data they have, they might be able to quickly see how viable a direction could be just by making a public statement and measuring the social response without having to actually do anything.

Reactions: SwaggerWagon
Just as an opinion, I don’t believe high IQ makes you “correct”. Your ABILITY to process data and see patterns is faster.

I grew disinfrsnchised with my field of study which was Economics because I realized you cannot model real life.

You can model 1+1 = 2. This is always true.

Dropping the price by $500 doesn’t mean 10 extra units of Model 3s are consumed week over week.

If you are lazy or fail to apply your gifts your IQ is
worthless.

IQ doesn’t mean EQ. I admire Elon Musk to almost no end but I believe he’s got one of the worst EQ’s from a public figure that I’ve seen.

People with high EQ can employ people with high IQ. The reverse doesn’t apply.

Lastly the smartest person is the person who can find someone smarter than them (in any area) and try to learn from them.

The problem here is that there have been negative groups and individuals saying that since 2008. It gets a little old when they have been proven wrong every single time.

Here is the article I had in mind when I mentioned Ars.

Elon Musk’s late-night announcement to raise prices and reopen some stores

And, the exact line.

"What is clear is that Tesla sales in 2019 have been disastrous. InsideEVs, a publication close to Tesla, tracks US electric vehicle deliveries, and, according to its numbers, January and February deliveries were down by around 80 percent compared to the months leading up."

Now that might not necessarily be as bad as it's made out to be. We know they've been concentrating on shipping oversees, and we know that they really pushed out a lot of deliveries in late 2018. So of course it's going to pale in comparison.

Just as an opinion, I don’t believe high IQ makes you “correct”. Your ABILITY to process data and see patterns is faster.

If you are lazy or fail to apply your gifts your IQ is
worthless.

IQ doesn’t mean EQ. I admire Elon Musk to almost no end but I believe he’s got one of the worst EQ’s from a public figure that I’ve seen.

People with high EQ can employ people with high IQ. The reverse doesn’t apply.

Lastly the smartest person is the person who can find someone smarter than them (in any area) and try to learn from them.
Absolutely spot on. And yeah, Elon's EQ seems inversely proportional to his IQ