Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

German Court Orders Tesla to Stop Clearing Land at New Factory Site

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A German court has stopped work at the site of Tesla’s first factory in Europe due to environmental concerns.

The Higher Administrative Court for Berlin-Brandenburg ordered Tesla to stop clearing trees until the court can consider an environmental group’s appeal.

A lower court told Tesla last week that it could clear the trees as it tries to ready ground for the factory build. However, a group called Green League Brandenburg appealed, saying the factory could potentially pollute the area.

Tesla’s factory near Berlin will manufacture both batteries and cars, starting with the upcoming Model Y SUV. The company hopes to open the factory next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose the reason Tesla is doing this is because they weren't able to find an existing structure that they could convert into a Gigafactory. If they could have, they probably would have saved a significant amount of money along with this quasinatural area (tree farm).

Given Tesla's GF3 design and 65% CapEx save over Fremont's 3 line, I doubt renovation of an existing building could come close to the cost and efficiency of a custom build in the form factor they want. Giga Berlin is a two story high surface area design.
Further, the long term plan at Giga Berlin is 2-4 of the factory units.

Site clearing done, just a few stumps to dig out. I wonder if the roots also get used for cardboard?

stumps.jpg