Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Germans claim paternity over Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct.

disintermediation |ˌdisintərˌmēdēˈāSHən|
noun
reduction in the use of intermediaries between producers and consumers, for example by investing directly in the securities market rather than through a bank.
I admit it. I used the wrong word. It is not disintermediation and not even the opposite. It is something completely different.

Since German buyers in general like to buy from German companies then this German content should ease the pain that Tesla is an American company. So hopefully we'll see more sales coming out of Germany.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Germans like to think that anything non-German is crap. Combine this with the fact that Elon if of German descent, and it will become a lot more acceptable for Germans to buy Teslas.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Germans like to think that anything non-German is crap. Combine this with the fact that Elon if of German descent, and it will become a lot more acceptable for Germans to buy Teslas.

Ha ha - my 2003 BMW 530 was such a piece of shortbread, I balked at buying an Audi because I didn't want any more "German auto engineering = constantly in the shop for an expensive repair" - and that's why/how I found Tesla. (Apologies to the Germans on the forum, I do love my Miele vacuum cleaner, and Bosch dishwasher)

Ha ha - my 2003 BMW 530 was such a piece of shortbread, I balked at buying an Audi because I didn't want any more "German auto engineering = constantly in the shop for an expensive repair" - and that's why/how I found Tesla. (Apologies to the Germans on the forum, I do love my Miele vacuum cleaner, and Bosch dishwasher)

I've had 2 Audis. One was absolutely excellent. And one was the biggest lemon that I've ever owned. It was in the shop literally every month. The Germans absolutely excel at building vehicles that have a very tight, solid feel to them, and that are a pleasure to drive. The Germans really pay attention to the details. But I've seen zero evidence that the reliability of German cars is better than North American or Japanese. I'm not sure if I have to apologize to the Germans or not. I'm Canadian born, but genetically I'm 100% purebred schnitzel and sauerkraut. :)

I've had 2 Audis. One was absolutely excellent. And one was the biggest lemon that I've ever owned. It was in the shop literally every month. The Germans absolutely excel at building vehicles that have a very tight, solid feel to them, and that are a pleasure to drive. The Germans really pay attention to the details. But I've seen zero evidence that the reliability of German cars is better than North American or Japanese. I'm not sure if I have to apologize to the Germans or not. I'm Canadian born, but genetically I'm 100% purebred schnitzel and sauerkraut. :)

Agreed. I think the value of German engineering is useless without German maintenance. American maintenance (skills, business model, culture) seems to be optimized for dealer profit margins rather than product quality or customer satisfaction.

Agreed. I think the value of German engineering is useless without German maintenance. American maintenance (skills, business model, culture) seems to be optimized for dealer profit margins rather than product quality or customer satisfaction.

I don't think German maintenance would have done much for the Audi lemon that I had. The problem was an series of unending and unique electrical problems; the problem was with the design. I got rid of the car the day that the warranty expired. Except for that Audi, every car I've had in the last 2 decades (about 12 different cars and trucks, American and Japanese) has needed nothing much more than oil changes in the first 3 years.

That explains it. I had heard that Tesla has a Mercedes steering wheel. I wondered why Mercedes would sell to Tesla but I see now that it's not Mercedes.

Tesla and Daimler had a broader relationship in the early days which gave them Smart ED and the MB B-series electric drivetrain. Along with Daimler getting an equity stake in Telsa (which they have since diverted) it gave Tesla access to Daimler's parts bin. Of the top of my head, the MS used Daimler parts for the steering wheel, the turn signal/CC stalks and the window controls.